Winter In the Water

Apr 14, 2020
Beneteau Oceanis Huntington
Hey All

Up here on Long Island. Considering next year to leave the boat in the water during the winter months.
The club has the staff and the gear to maintain
Probably has to haul in the spring to power wash. maybe bottom and wax
It it is a mild winter like this could get a lot use of the boat

Any thoughts on this

Thanks

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Lots of people stay in during winter for various reasons, however, using a boat which is winterized and covered as it should be isn’t one of the reasons.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I have one friend who leaves his Seafarer in the water year 'round. He doesn't even use bubblers or other ice prevention. You can't imagine how nice it is to go for a sail on a nice day in January - and there are some. Totally different experience than a Summer sail but sometimes even more beautiful. His boat has a round chine so if ice closes in it basically lifts the boat up, and when it melts it lets it back down. He has had incidents when the ice pulled poles out and the floating dock and his boat went for a driftabout. But really no harm done.

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
make sure that you winterize all thru hull fitting properly, have all zincs checked, and use concentrated non tox anti freeze in the bilge and discharge lines.
Don't want to sink a boat because bilge pump and lines froze up.
Make sure you re winterize the engine after each use, plus use an extra gallon if you can't see exit the exhaust

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
In the Washington costal region, most of us leave our boats in the water all year. I dive the boat 2-3 times a year to clean the bottom and check zincs.

I used to have my C30 in Coeur d' Alene lake in north Idaho and given the cold winter temps and fresh water, the lake would often freeze. Many of the boats did not do anything other than winterize the water systems and the ice would not harm the hulls. I used a 1/3 hp fresh water sump pump to keep my slip open. It was tied with a rope to a deck cleat and the harbor master would plug it in and drop it in the water if we started to get ice. My pump would keep my slip open along with those on each side of me as well as the thoroughfare behind the boat.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2011
Tartan 34C Toms River, New Jersey
I leave mine in during the winter. I winterize all systems and the dock has a thermostat controlled bubbler. She is pulled in the spring ( I beat the quarantine this March) power washed, waxed, bottom painted, and splashed.
Jersey winters have been mild the past several years here on the Jersey Shore. But even when they weren't the system I use worked fine.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
First winter I had this boat, I spent aboard at a marina in East Greenwich, RI. Even if you get one nice day, chances are the docks will still have snow & ice on them and that can be super dangerous & scary.
I also agree that it would be a problem if you winterize or don't, either way.
Are you thinking of leaving the sails on all winter, or taking them on & off for each sail?

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Winters here mild in comparison to the folks noreast. We keep her in the water year around ready to go at the skipper’s whim. Been out many times during the winter months when anchoring spots are empty and boat traffic nil. It is the time of the year that Wallis gets a real workout and the wonder of being under sail in a snow fall.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Heck, Winter is when our real sailing season starts here in Florida; our winds are back and the temperatures and humidity are nice.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Heck, Winter is when our real sailing season starts here in Florida; our winds are back and the temperatures and humidity are nice.
Fall and Spring are the best followed by Winter as still great sailing here too. Summer is hot and humid, with either hurricanes, no winds.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I've always wanted to see snowflakes trace the airflow over the sail plan. It has never worked out.
Yikes!:yikes:

I used to do overnight X-ski backpacking trips when I was younger. Now I don't even like it when it gets down in the 50s.