Winter Haul out options, considering buying a trailer

Aug 12, 2019
Catalina 25 Hingham Shipyard Marina
Hi I am a new Catalina 25 (1983 fixed keel traditional interior) owner this year in New England and as the end of the end of the season is coming up quickly I am looking into options for the winter.

As far as looking into a trailer:
Would anyone have recommendations as to a trailer builder?
Or is there a good site or forum to look for used trailers for sale?

Winter storage: The fall back is to just have the local Marina haul and store the boat on site. For winterizing the boat I will have it wrapped can that be done in a way that still allows access to the interior so that in the early winter/spring when it is no longer too cold I can get into the boat for repair work?

Any advise or recommendations would be much appreciated.

-matt

Jan 24, 2009
1981 Cherubini Hunter 27 Shipwright Harbor Marina, MD
If you have your boat shrink-wrapped, they can put a zipper door in it. You might also be able to slit it open in the spring and tape it back up.
I can't really speak to trailers, they are a convenience to haul to boat out of the flood plain or take it home to work on it, but might be cheaper in the mid-term to have it hauled and then when you buy a bigger boat ( :)biggrin:)), you won't have to sell the trailer also.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Not many owners keep the same boat for longer than 7 years. Figure out your personal probabilities for how long you might keep the 25' and then the costs of marina haul outs for those years and compare to the cost of building and storing a trailer.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Many of us have what I'd call a "yard trailer". No brakes, lights, fenders etc. Basically stands on a frame with wheels. It might be a cheaper option. How long you plan to keep her will be a big factor in what you should do.