Wine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
At a local winery, the regular taster died, and the director started looking for a new one to hire. A retired Navy fighter pilot, drunk and with a ragged dirty look, came to apply for the position.

The director of the factory wondered how to send him away. They gave him a glass to drink.

The old pilot tried it and said, "It's a Muscat three years old, grown on a north slope, matured in steel containers. Low grade but acceptable."

"That's correct", said the boss. "Another glass, please."

"It's a Cabernet, eight years old, south-western slope, oak barrels, matured at eight degrees Celsius. Requires three more years for finest results."

"Absolutely correct. A third glass."

''It's a Pinot Blanc champagne, high grade and exclusive'' calmly said the drunk.

The director was astonished and winked at his secretary to suggest something. She left the room and came back in with a glass of urine.

The alcoholic tried it. "It's a blonde, 26 years old, three months pregnant, and if I don't get the job, I'll name the father."

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Thanks Joe and others, my wife wanted to know how I figured it would take an hour.:poke: :bang:
All U Get

Aug 29, 2011
Catalina 27 mobile
box wines give me heart burn.for an inexpensive but good tasting wine,sutter home chardonnay,robert mondavi chardonnay and pinot grigio,redwood creek chardonnay,and for a more woodsy taste beringer stonecellars.when i want a red wine usually buy ck mondavi merlot.all of theses wines can be found in the grocery store for $7 to $13.

Feb 14, 2011
Dufour Arpege' 30' Bayfield Wisconsin
Found a good box wine. Bot-a-Box. Bought the Malbec. Very good!

Nov 6, 2009
Hunter 37 FL
Black Box is great! Keeps well on the boat, stores perfectly and is darn good wine. We're no wine snobs, but do get our wine from a couple of preferred wineries for many years, but BB is nearly as good, and definitely so for the boat!
We use box wine on the boat because we don't like glass bottles on the boat. Since we also don't keep cardboard on the boat, we made a holder for the box bladder in use. Also, we take all the bladders out of all the boxes and store in plastic waste cans in case one of them leaks. See pics for our homemade bladder holder.

Attachments

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
"See pics for our homemade bladder holder"
OK, that's very cool. Gotta make one!

RECESS

Dec 20, 2003
Pearson 323 . St. Mary's Georgia
Box wines and wine in a bag is much more available in Europe for the higher end wines. It does not make a difference to the wine if it is in glass or a poly bag. Some cruising friend of ours by the Black Box wines and remove them from the box and stack the bladders full of wine into a hold. They store much more wine on board that way.

I think we will be seeing much more higher end wine available in boxes or bladders in the US. Glass bottles just raise the cost of distribution.

Nov 6, 2009
Hunter 37 FL
Box wines and wine in a bag is much more available in Europe for the higher end wines. It does not make a difference to the wine if it is in glass or a poly bag. Some cruising friend of ours by the Black Box wines and remove them from the box and stack the bladders full of wine into a hold. They store much more wine on board that way.

I think we will be seeing much more higher end wine available in boxes or bladders in the US. Glass bottles just raise the cost of distribution.
Pic of our wine bladder storage.

Attachments

rfrye1

Jun 15, 2004
Hunter H376 San Diego
I hate to fess up to it, but yes I am a bit of a wine snob, and rarely does $2 buck or Box wine stand up to a carefully chosen bottle of $20 Cabernet. "life is too short to waste on bad wine". Of course you dont always have to spend $50 for good wine. The real adventure in wine is finding the great $15-25 bottles that stand up to a $50 bottle. Most folks who dislike red wine have only drank the "cheap stuff". That being said, consider the investment you have in your boat and try expanding your wine horizons and budgets. FInd a wind store you trust (S.D. Wine Co. in San Diego is great). Store your bottles in old socks under the floorbords. And yes, screwtops are great.
Cheers. Bob

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
If you allow price to be your only indicator...

You'll miss out on some wonderful bargains...there are wonderful wines for <$10...some real crapola selling for $20+.

Let your nose and your palate pick your wines, not price. And let what it's to be paired with determine whether it should be a cabernet, a merlot or a pinot noir....pinot grigio or chardonnay. Try a good shiraz with lamb sometime.

rfrye1

Jun 15, 2004
Hunter H376 San Diego
Peggy dont get me wrong. I completely agree, anybody can buy a $50 bottle and be a hero. I just bought 2 cases of wine under $10 that are really good. I guess my point was try to expand your horizon a bit. IMHO the jugs of Yellowtail & others arent very good. Its funny, whenever we have a byob party everyone brings their Yellowtail & trader joe special, but they all end up drinking my wine! And i end up with left over yellowtail!

But Peggy, YES some great wines under $10. Just go to tastings or trust your wine guy/gal. Btw, check out I Phone app COR.KZ. Allows you scan upc on wine bottle for all you need to know/ratings.

Cheers. Bob.

Status
Not open for further replies.