Window rebedding

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike

I am about to undertake the rebedding of all my windows. Could anyone give me a clue on procedures and materials?

H

h.banick

WINDOWS

What type of port lights do you have? metal frames or all plastic? I just did mine on our 30' 1980 Cat with metal frames. Very easy job to do. Just pop the curtain sliders off then take the screws out & push the frames out. (don't push to hard they could go in the water.) rebed with polysulfate.

B

Brian Caro

Window bedding

My boat has the metal frames. Remove the inner trim ring. Carefully push out the window. If it sticks, use a thin razor knife under the outside edge and release the bedding from the frame. Don't let the window drop in the drink! Clean the hull and the frame with a solvent that will dissolve and clean the bedding material from the surfaces. Laquer thinner leaves no residue and will remove most caulks. Using a high quality marine grade polysulfide caulk, sealk the lower edge of the cabin top to prevent moisture entering the core, then apply a heavy bead of caulk to the inside mating surface of the window frame and press into position. Have a helper hold the frame in place and reinstall the trim ring on the inside. Clean off the extruded caulk on the outside with a solvent. This will be the worst part of the project. It will take lots of rags or towels to clean the work area as polysulfide is gooooey. Don't overdo the solvent during cleaning or it will damage the hull-to-window frame seal! I run out of steam after one of these but it only takes about 45 minutes to do one.

L

LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina

Cutting caulk

Brian, couldn't you just let the caulk dry & carefully use a razor to cut it off? As long as it was beaded & not smeared it should work ok, shouldn't it? Or am I just being naive? :) LaDonna

K

Kevin McGrath

Window bedding

If you have a metal frame window, drill a small 1/8 inch hole on the outside at the rear of the frame. Place the hole just above where the frame indents. the hole will act as a weep hole for the channel where the glass sits. If any water gets in the channel it will drain out the hole. Commercial office building curtain walls have window system weep holes that work in the same fashion. A common problem with these windows is the channel fills up with water and leaks into the boat. I drilled the hole and never had another window leak. This works only if you have a leak in the glass/frame seal.

R

Randy

edge seal outside

I have a 1975 Cat 27 that had some leaky windows. I didn't have the time between rain showers (Portland OR) to remove and reseal all the windows so I took the qick and easy way out. I just edge sealed the outside of all the windows. I needed to replace my aft/stbd window and frame anyway so I just did the quick fix till I could find a new window and frame. If you mask it off carefully and use a minimum amount of sealant it looks fine.I used a polysulfied sealant. That was winter 97 and I haven't had a leaky window yet but after saying that I expect it soon. I have since moved the boat to Everett Wa and still need to replace that aft/stbd window so if anyone can tell me where I can find a replacement that would be great. I would recomend removing and resealing if you have time, help and nice weather. My email is dz_viking42@hotmail.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.