Window-Leaking

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dennis Stone

I am working on window leaks. I have ordered the glass to frame seal from Catalina direct. My question now is there was no seal on the outside between the fram and the cabin. Is there suppose to be? I saw on one of the threads, to go to RV store and get butle rubber in a roll and use it. Thank for your help. Its great to get this kind of feed back. Especially since I just got started in sailing keel boats. Dennis Splash (soon to be changed) C30 SRFK 1977

B

Bob Camarena

Caulk

The other thread is correct, the seal between the outer frame and the cabin top is via caulking and not a gasket. Whatever you do, make sure that what you use is removable as is the case with the RV product. You don't want to use one of the high-tech marine adhesive products designed for non-removable applications. I used marine silicone a couple of years ago but have new leaks and am going to try the RV product when I tackle the job this time.

T

Tom Wingo

Butyl tape rules

Butyl tape rules. It is just too easy to use. Best of all it really really works!!! Clean up is a breeze. Just get a razor knife trim around the part then roll the excess butyl tape up.

D

Dennis Stone

Tom, Going with your idea of RV tape. Looks like a winner to me. I went to work on the window a while ago and was doing a dry run on what had to be done and in what order. (Window is in the garage)When I put the glass (no seal at this time) into the frame just to check direction and size, it didn't fit. The frame has a slight curve to it. To explain the amount of curve....the glass fits into each end of the bottom half or top half of the frame and the middle of the glass sits outside of the grove towards the cabin. I noticed the curve when cleaning the frame and just thought that it was the contour of the cabin. I have checked all archive threads and found nothing other than make sure the frame is not bent. I thought they meant damaged bent. This is just a nice curve. Do I bend the frame? Do I just force the glass in and let the frame bend on its own? Help!!!!!!! Thanks for your help or anyone else who may see this. Dennis Stone 77 SRFK "Adventure"

Status
Not open for further replies.