windless

Nov 19, 2010
Oday 34' East Greenwich, R.I.
I have a 1982 oday, 34 feet . I'm about to install a windless and wondered if anyone out there has done this and can offer some advice.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Not sure but I assume you didn't intend to post this in the 'site talk' forum, i.e., forum designated to obtain forum help vs. the general boat related forums. Many folks read only specific forums and may not see your question about windlass. Or if you tried a search for "wind less" rather than windlass.

May 26, 2004
- - Oriental, NC
Yes I have done it on Oday 35. Same boat as far as the anchor locker is concerned. Able to put windlass in existing anchor locker, even close anchor locker hatch and rode falls into for forepeak forward of the bulkhead. Not easy. Can offer drawing if you PM your email address.
Good Winds
DaveM

Last edited:

drdanj

Jun 15, 2009
Hunter 290 Channel Islands
I took my windlass out of the box. Stared for a lonngg time. Put it back in the box. Repeat x 3. Finally got the "gestalt" of how this thing worked, the separate wiring systems, deck buttons set up, etc. My '83 Catalina 36 has a little cabinet up in the V-berth. I put the power supply, battery and wiring in there with a power switch cut through the cabinet side. I set the windlass itself so that the drop just hangs over the anchor locker hatches, cut out a bit of the hatch and put Starboard backing underneath and on top. My advice is just to really figure out how it works and measure things a half dozen times before starting any cutting of holes, etc.

Aug 7, 2013
O'day 39' 25th Anniversary Mystic, CT
I have a 1984 O'Day 39 and I would like to add a windlass to my vessel. I am getting way too old to be hoisting up a 60 lb. anchor. I saw where Dave M. offered drawings of this install, but I cannot seem to reach him. Has anyone else done this?

Thank for any advice.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Folks, this forum 'SITE TALK" is for asking about how the web site works, or if you have trouble making use of it. It is NOT for posting questions about sailing . Please start a new thread under Ask All Sailors about your windlass concerns.

Feb 4, 2020
O'Day 39 Bay St Louis
Faster Horses, did you ever get an answer to your question? I've seen how someone else on Youtube did it on a sailboat. I haven't seen any drawings on how someone did it on an O'Day

May 1, 2019
oday 39 39 Jacksonville fl
I have a 1984 O'Day 39 and I would like to add a windlass to my vessel. I am getting way too old to be hoisting up a 60 lb. anchor. I saw where Dave M. offered drawings of this install, but I cannot seem to reach him. Has anyone else done this?

Thank for any advice.
I just did this, on my 1984 oday39. I built a shelf in the anchor locker out of marine plywood them glasses it in, set the shelf angle so that the anchor chain rides perfect thru the hole in the hatch. I considered making just a metal bracket at first, this was more work but helps spread the load. Turned out great. I can send some pics if interested.

May 1, 2019
oday 39 39 Jacksonville fl
I just did this, on my 1984 oday39. I built a shelf in the anchor locker out of marine plywood them glasses it in, set the shelf angle so that the anchor chain rides perfect thru the hole in the hatch. I considered making just a metal bracket at first, this was more work but helps spread the load. Turned out great. Here are a couple pic of when I was mocking it up I built that little shelf to help figure it all out. The actual shelf goes all the was across to the hull, I can take some pics and measurements when I go back to the boat this weekend.

Attachments

Aug 7, 2013
O'day 39' 25th Anniversary Mystic, CT
Thanks for the reply, I would have never found it had I not gone browsing through the pages.......
I would move this thread to an area more appropriate if I knew how, is there any help available with this or do we have to start this thread over?

I have not found any more information on this mod aside from this most recent post. I truly appreciate this info and would like to hear more about how you accomplished it. I have put this project on the back burner as I need to clean up a jerry rigged mixing elbow to exhaust hose connection.
If you don't mind, let's move this thread to O'day Owners (bigger boats section)

Thank you

Oct 7, 2008
Oday Oday 35 Chesapeake Bay
I installed a Windlass on my Oday 35 about two years ago. Quite a job but I am very satisfied with it. Took the boat back and forth from Florida this year. Anchoring was a breeze. Here is a link to some photos. The Windlass is mounted on one inch G10 and bolted to the sides backed up by 1/2" G10. It is way overkill but works great. It sits inside the anchor locker and the 115' of chain attached to 150' of rope road fit perfectly in the chain locker.

May 6, 2015
Oday 035 Clearwater
Nice design for the Oday 35 windlass installation! What make and model is the windlass? I am not familiar with the material you referenced as M10 and M05. Did you run the 12 volt power from the DC panel or a battery mounted in the front portion of the boat? Thanks!