Windlass foot switch

kbgunn

Sep 19, 2017
2005 Hunter 33 Lake Lewisville, TX
I have a Simpson Lawrence vertical windlass with Lewmar deck mounted foot switches for up and down. The red and black rubber inserts are cracked and it's just a matter of time before water/dirt infiltrate and make them in operable. Anyone know where/how to order replacements for the rubber insert? Or do I have to order an entire new switch? This specific model is phased out, so to replace the whole switch I think I have to order an adapter plate and a new SX model switch. Pain! It would be nice to just replace the rubber insert if possible. Anyone know a source?

These are the adapter and new model switch if I have to go that route:

I found part number (LEWP49C) in a manual on the Marlow-Hunter document repository here: https://www.marlow-hunter.com/wp-co...wrence_Sprint 1000 Anchor Windlass Manual.pdf

I found a guide to identify foot switch model here:

IMG_0524.JPG

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
When I replaced my Lewmar electric winch switch, which had a uv damaged cover, I had to purchase a new switch. So I am guessing you will need to do the same.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
I would guess that no mfg. is going to supply only the rubber inserts for a particular switch so it's on to a new one.

I would also suggest a modicum of maintenance and cleaning to avoid such $$$ problems in the future. A vinyl/rubber sealer would also go miles towards preventing degradation of all rubber/vinyl on your boat.

1617740380347.png

senang

Oct 21, 2009
hunter 38 Monaco
If you replace it with a wireless remote switch you will save many $$$$$. Search on EB for winch remote, between $10 and 15, mostly sold for terrain vehicles. Reliability is less, always keep a spare battery :)

kbgunn

Sep 19, 2017
I would also suggest a modicum of maintenance and cleaning to avoid such $$$ problems in the future. A vinyl/rubber sealer would also go miles towards preventing degradation of all rubber/vinyl on your boat.
Ralph,

Point taken on the maintenance.....I bought the boat this past December and the PO did not keep up the small detail work of cleaning and protecting the susceptible parts. She is mechanically sound with a good survey and I got a great deal on her. So I'm happy to address the small things as I can. Thanks for the tip on the trim and plastic restorer. I will pick up a bottle of that on my next trip to Walmart

kbgunn

Sep 19, 2017
If you replace it with a wireless remote switch you will save many $$$$$. Search on EB for winch remote, between $10 and 15, mostly sold for terrain vehicles. Reliability is less, always keep a spare battery :)
Great suggestion Senang....I would love a wireless remote for the autopilot too.:D

The wireless winch remotes on Ebay look like low current devices......are the meant to engage a higher current relay? Is it wired in parallel with the foot switch to the same relay?

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
You may (but only if you're very religious, tithe heavily, and attend every Sunday) be able to remove and salvage the two rubber diaphragms and replace.

If the construction lets you get that far, be sure to lightly seal the rear of the diaphragms with silicone sealant.

My Lewmar UP and DOWN switches were pathetic out of the box when I got them. Sealed them with silicone and no leaks or shorts so far in eight tears.

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
I have a Simpson Lawrence vertical windlass with Lewmar deck mounted foot switches for up and down. The red and black rubber inserts are cracked and it's just a matter of time before water/dirt infiltrate and make them in operable. Anyone know where/how to order replacements for the rubber insert? Or do I have to order an entire new switch? This specific model is phased out, so to replace the whole switch I think I have to order an adapter plate and a new SX model switch. Pain! It would be nice to just replace the rubber insert if possible. Anyone know a source?

These are the adapter and new model switch if I have to go that route:

I found part number (LEWP49C) in a manual on the Marlow-Hunter document repository here: https://www.marlow-hunter.com/wp-content/export/Vendor-Manuals/Simpson Lawrence_Sprint 1000 Anchor Windlass Manual.pdf

I found a guide to identify foot switch model here:

View attachment 192446
same problem on our 356, and I couldn't find just the rubber inserts. I got the switches from Defender, will install in a few weeks when the shrink wrap comes off. I compared the new to old switches and I don't see the need for the adapter plates - switches are the same size and my holes for the wires are small.

Apr 2, 2021
Hunter 38 On the move
I just saw this. It looks like an easy part to print in TPU if you know anyone with a 3D printer. Cost of a 1kg roll of TPU around $30. SainSmart is the best imho

senang

Oct 21, 2009
hunter 38 Monaco
You get what you pay for. Just found out 2 days ago that the remote didn’t work. Changed the 12V ! battery. Still no good. Just ordered a reliable marine grade foot switch. Lesson learnt: “Reliability has a price”.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
I installed 85AMP contact with 12v coil relays used on golf carts and ran a wire to the Binnacle with a spring loaded toggle switch to drop and retrieve the anchor. You can install another such switch placed at the anchor locker. It will last forever.

Apr 2, 2012
Hunter 333 Little River, SC - Coquina Harbor
kbgunn
Did you ever come up with a solution? I'm having the same issue with a 45cc I recently bought. I ordered replacement boots from sailboatowners but they weren't the correct ones. They agreed they were wrong and would get back with me if they had access to the correct ones, but that was December 15th. The ones I need have a contact that goes on it's bottom side.

Attachments

kbgunn

Sep 19, 2017
kbgunn
Did you ever come up with a solution? I'm having the same issue with a 45cc I recently bought. I ordered replacement boots from sailboatowners but they weren't the correct ones. They agreed they were wrong and would get back with me if they had access to the correct ones, but that was December 15th. The ones I need have a contact that goes on it's bottom side.
No I haven't unfortunately.....other than buying the replacement switch linked above. I'm mostly a day sailer and anchor infrequently so this has been way down on the maintenance priority list. It's interesting that there is a metal contact in the rubber boot that completes the switch circuit. Not the way I would have designed it. I would have expected a momentary contact, push button style switch with the boot as just a dust cover.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
You may (but only if you're very religious, tithe heavily, and attend every Sunday) be able to remove and salvage the two rubber diaphragms and replace.

If the construction lets you get that far, be sure to lightly seal the rear of the diaphragms with silicone sealant.

My Lewmar UP and DOWN switches were pathetic out of the box when I got them. Sealed them with silicone and no leaks or shorts so far in eight tears.
It’s really very simple.
You need to replace the 2 foot switches with new ones.
we’re looking at 40 bucks here guys, and the problem is solved 100%.
sorry to be so direct, but this doesn’t need a whole lot of head scratching.