Wind ranges for each sail on an Oday 25.

Jul 11, 2015
Oday 25 Kewaunee
Relatively new to sailing. I have an Oday 25. Does anyone know the wind speed ranges for the Main, Jib, Genoa and Spinnaker? Or is this something I should be calling a sail maker to ask about?

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
There are too many unknown variables here to give an answer. My suggestion would be to find someone in your area to give you lessons on your boat in variable wind conditions and different sail sets. There's nothing like a hands on learning experience. Get to know what you've got and go from there. Have fun!

sdstef

Jan 31, 2013
Hunter 28 Branched Oak Lake
Relatively new to sailing. I have an Oday 25. Does anyone know the wind speed ranges for the Main, Jib, Genoa and Spinnaker? Or is this something I should be calling a sail maker to ask about?
I had an Oday 25. Recently sold it and got a Hunter 28. I will tell you this, the Oday 25 will need a reef at about 15 mph winds. I had a 135 on roller furling. I would reef that down too over 15. It is a fun boat to learn on. Enjoy it. I have a spinnaker , the one in the picture, with a ATN douser if you are interested.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
My rule of thumb is if she's consistently "washing the toe rail" like 3 times in 5 minutes, then it's time to reef.

In a fractional rig, the main does most of the work. I tried to sail my boat with the 110% jib, just because, and it was worse than slow.

On a masthead rig, the vast majority of the work is done by the genoa. You should still reef the main first, then roll up the genoa to balance the helm if needed.

I see people all the time at my lake with no jib on a masthead boat, or a genoa not fully rolled out on a light wind day. I don't understand any of that behavior. Sometimes you gotta push the limits so you know what's what. While reefing early is a good plan, reefing or not setting sails so that you don't heel at all is a terrible plan, and you're not sailing remotely near capability. If the admiral doesn't like to heel, it's time to hand her the tiller and teach her to head up in puffs, and let the boat teach her its capabilities.

One time on a very gusty day, with fierce lifting gusts, I heeled, and held the helm, figuring I'd wash the toe rail. Yeah, that gust was quite a gust, and I heeled far enough to have water pour over my admittedly low cockpit coaming. Yeah, that was not good. I headed in once the seat dried and I could tack, switch sides, and not get my shorts wet.

Jul 11, 2015
Oday 25 Kewaunee
I know what you mean. But I trim my sails according to my needs iether for top speed or something lower. More often than not however I trim my sails to keep the boat balanced between the rudder and sails because I don't have an autopilot. I tend to sacrifice speed to keep her heading in a specific direction so I don't have to mess with the tiller too much.

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
I would tend to disagree with anyone that tried to tell you a specific wind range for each sail. I agree with Roland and
would tell you that you are the human autopilot that has to feel comfortable or have some measure of willingness of discomfort
as you sail your boat on any particular point of sail....and every point of sail is different every day....You will be fine and soon
it will become very natural for you to make that determination.....you will have times you will experience that help you become
a very knowledgeable sailor of your boat....Hang in there! Pat