Will this go boom?

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I have a friend that's pushing me to store my vintage gas tank in the lazarette. Seems like this would vent fumes into the boat when it warms up. Is it safe to store it in a semi enclosed space? The one below is pretty close to what I'm using for the time being

1593825050400.png

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
I have two fuel tanks. Both live in the laz, each side of the engine which sits in a well.

BUT

The laz is totally sealed from the rest of the boat and is open around the engine leg.. No way fumes can get to the cabin OR under the cockpit.

only way I'd do that

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
The answers is no, but would love to hear your friend's reasoning behind his recommendation. Gasoline fumes are heavier than air and will flow down to the bilge where a spark could ignite it. Boat's equiped with a gasoline engines usually have spark arresting components and venting fans to evacuate any gasoline fumes prior to starting.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
The answers is no, but would love to hear your friend's reasoning behind his recommendation. Gasoline fumes are heavier than air and will flow down to the bilge where a spark could ignite it. Boat's equiped with a gasoline engines usually have spark arresting components and venting fans to evacuate any gasoline fumes prior to starting.
"Other sailboats have done it!"

I've seen this done on a few boats and was skeptical. Are there portable tanks with proper venting?

srimes

Jun 9, 2020
Macgregor 26D Brookings
Mine's in the laz. Was set up that way from previous owner. Has a pair of vents facing fore/aft, and the aft one has a hose that goes to the bilge to help suck out the lower fumes. Seems OK to me. Should I be worried?

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
"Other sailboats have done it!"

I've seen this done on a few boats and was skeptical. Are there portable tanks with proper venting?
Mine was in the lazarette and I moved it out. Both my O'Day 25 and now my Beneteau First 235 You need to vent the lazarette, not the tank, the tank will have venting. Just be safe and don't do it. This is not how you want to make the news. ;)

Jul 6, 2017
Hunter H 41DS Hampton, VA
Mmm. I switched to a Mercury propane outboard. No more gas. It runs on both the 2 gal propane tank and a Coleman fuel mini tank. Propane locker is already vented.

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
I have a friend that's pushing me to store my vintage gas tank in the lazarette. Seems like this would vent fumes into the boat when it warms up. Is it safe to store it in a semi enclosed space? The one below is pretty close to what I'm using for the time being
"Friend"?

Mar 2, 2019
Oday 25 Milwaukee
I'm assuming you are referring to the port side compartment . That indeed is for the fuel tank . For those unfamiliar with the setup this compartment is sealed from the rest of the boat .

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
My boat has an inboard that's in questionable condition. I do plan on connecting the outboard to the inboard tank this year but not before launch. The inboard tank has a small vent hose going to a fitting on the transom. The engine compartment is simply separated from the cabin by some plywood. No attempt was made to seal the access door when it was made. It does have 3" air ducts and a fan that's on it's last legs. Most of these things can easily be addressed after launch so I'll leave the vintage tank on the cockpit sole for now. Out of curiosity, how do inboards vent without letting all the fumes escape? Pressure relief valve perhaps?