Will my Sandpiper mast and 3 sails work on my next 21ft sailboat?

Aug 29, 2019
Sandpiper Sandpiper 565 Toronto
Hello everyone,

I am new to sailing and bought a learner, a Sandpiper 565 at very low price. Well, it was cheap because the sailboat leak around the keel area(crashed?). The sailboat is in bits at a dump now but sold the trailer for $1K and it came with 3 sails in very good condition(still crisp). I want to tow the sailboat from Toronto to Florida this winter and learn to sail then motorsail the Trent Severn Waterway next summer. I am looking for another trailer sailboat with pop top, Cat 22, Mac/Venture 21-22 or a Sirius 21-22. Will a 19ft sails or on a 21ft boats? I still the mast and boom and riggings. Thanks, Bill

Attachments

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
A sail can be used as long as the Luff is shorter than the mast and it can be raised and tightened. By the same token the clew needs to be shorter than the boom. Every inch that the Luff and Clew are shorter than the original sail will reduce the sail area. While a few inches will not make a difference a few "feet" will.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
See my reply to your other post. Since you are now looking for a different boat, buy one that is complete, with decent sails. There are plenty of old boats out there that are in basic sail-able condition, so no need for the complexity and expense of a rig swap. Also, old sails are false economy, as they can be well past any reasonable performance level. New sails cut for a boat are ALWAYS better than old sails "fit" to a boat. Sometimes, with racing classes, someone's old race sails are often in very serviceable condition for a casual sailor of the same design, because racers will often buy new sails very frequently in order to remain competitive.

Aug 29, 2019
Thanks for all the replies, really helpful suggestions. I have 3 sails, either I sell them for a song or recycle them. This time around, I want a used sailboat that just need water, if there's such a thing.(lol). You guys are right about sailboats going for a song this time of year. My next sailboat will most likely be a Sirius 21/22, it meets all me needs and wants. Most importantly the cockpit is foam core filled not plywood. There's one for sale without mail sail or outboard for C$2800 and another comes complete with a very old outboard for C$4500. I will wait until they are out of water at end of the month.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
A main for a 21' boat will probably be about $1500 - a worthwhile investment, really. With no motor you have a great opportunity to invest in a more trouble free motor. If you can get ethanol free fuel, I'd probably get a new 6hp sailpro model Tohatsu. If you can't get ethanol free, I'd get a new 6hp propane sailpro Tohatsu. Keep your eye on the market to decide if it's a good price or not. For a 21' the complete boat with older motor doesn't sound bad at $4500.

Aug 29, 2019
The plan is buy something small and easier to single hand in good shape without spending a fortune. If I like sailing, then upgrade later to something bigger, more comfortable and travel further. I am surrounded by Great lakes and canals. Or else convert the sailboat by removing the swing keel and add an enclosure at back and us it as a fishing boat like this couple
IMG_1158.JPG

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
The plan is buy something small and easier to single hand in good shape without spending a fortune. If I like sailing, then upgrade later to something bigger, more comfortable and travel further. I am surrounded by Great lakes and canals. Or else convert the sailboat by removing the swing keel and add an enclosure at back and us it as a fishing boat like this coupleView attachment 169613.
Part of the issue of using sailboats as motorcraft without a rig is that the pendulum effect of the mast smooths the rolling motion of the boat, and gives it a more sea-kindly feel. Removing the mast can make the boat roll a lot, and with a faster period. Also, for a boat with a true ballasted swing keel, it might not be the best idea to remove it, given that it is the boat's ballast. Admittedly, the ballast is more important with the sails up, but I can see that it would be a potential issue.

My boat is a ballasted stub-keel with centerboard mounted in the keel. It draws 18" with the board up. The board does not contribute any righting moment, so if it were removed, it wouldn't matter. However, I don't know how the boat would feel with the rig removed. I've only ever launched with the stick up! :)

Aug 29, 2019
The plan is to learn to sail. As you said, outboards are unreliable and noisy. Wife doesn’t like sailboat heeling over 5 degree thru, will see. I seen many sailboats without their mast motoring up and down the Trent Severn Waterway and small lakes over the years. In fact, it’s the only way they can traverse as there are too many bridges to count. Travelling like the above couple from Ottawa to Midland, ON(600 km and 100 locks) been a dream of mine for a long time.

Aug 29, 2019
Wife and I went to see a Sirius 21 yesterday, met the owner and his friends. One of them is from Nova Scotia and his is a sail instructor at the yacht club. I asked about recycling sails. Their answer was if the sail is smaller then the boat's then its like reefing. If the sail slugs are different, pay a sails maker to change them out. So Benny17441 is spot on.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
There is always the chance that the sails will be useful. Since you have the sails, measure the luff (leading edge) and compare the dimension with the "P" dimension of the boat you are thinking about purchasing. If the P dimension is the same or slightly higher, that's fine. Then do that with the foot of the sail and compare it to "E". For a headsail, you only need to worry about the length of the luff and compare it to the length of the forestay.
Take the Trent-Severn and let us know what you think! That is a trip that I would love to take. My dream would be to take my boat on the Hudson, canal over to Lake Champlain, canal to the St. Lawrence then down to Lake Ontario and finally take the Trent-Severn to Lake Huron. Then I would spend a summer or 3 on Lakes Huron, Superior and Michigan!

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
If your existing sails are in better shape than the ones on the boat you buy, you might as well use them. As said above, if the main luff and foot, and the jib luff are the same or slightly longer on the new boat, they will work fine. You could make those measurements part of the criteria on your boat shopping. And you wouldn't need to care if the new boats sails were any good. Actually replacing old sails with better ones off a different boat is quite common, I've seen quite a few boats where the sail logo didn't match the brand of boat they were on.

Aug 29, 2019
That's what I hear and it makes sense. I will view 2 sailboats this weekend, CS 22 and Matilda 20. The Matilda 20 doesn't come with a jib furler and sails dimensions are very close to the used sails. I checked the prices of sails and they are not cheap! It won't be the deciding factor but definitely a bonus.

Oct 6, 2019
Sandpiper 565 Glenmore Reservoir
Hello, I’m curious if you are parting the sandpiper 565. If you are do you want to sell the sails, the mast foot, and forward stay?

Aug 29, 2019
Hi Chris 565

I am not making any decisions until next spring. I am already regret selling the Shore lander trailer. The mast, all riggings, sheets, 3 sails and the jib has a fuller are in really good shape. Just in case there's a sailboat for sale with no mast or sails, I can recycle mine. Case in point, there's a Catalina 21 for sale without mast or sails in Florida. The asking price is stupid but I seen many sold for a song. I do have a brand new keel bearing kit(bearing and 6 rivets) for sale if you are interested.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Case in point, there's a Catalina 21 for sale without mast or sails in Florida. The asking price is stupid but I seen many sold for a song.
I would be super wary of a "Catalina 21," mainly because they never made a Catalina 21, only Catalina 22, Catalina 22 MKII, Catalina 22 Sport, and Catalina Capri 22. ;)

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Assuming it is a Catalina 22, it better be free with no mast or sails. Fall and Winter are finally arriving in the south this week so there will be boats for sail showing up.

Aug 29, 2019
Assuming it is a Catalina 22, it better be free with no mast or sails. Fall and Winter are finally arriving in the south this week so there will be boats for sail showing up.
True that, a sailboat without mast or dead sails are worth less. I have seen a few locally for free. Unfortunately, the trailers were not in any shape for long distance travel.

Oct 6, 2019
Sandpiper 565 Glenmore Reservoir
Does the boat you took to the dump have any useable parts on it still? Like the companion way sliding hatch cover? If yes I would like to talk to you more about this. If you could email me at divinesoul2@icloud.com I would appreciate it. Thank you

Aug 29, 2019
Does the boat you took to the dump have any useable parts on it still? Like the companion way sliding hatch cover? If yes I would like to talk to you more about this. If you could email me at divinesoul2@icloud.com I would appreciate it. Thank you
Unfortunately, I didn’t or couldn’t as everything were bonded very well. As I said before, I only kept the mast with sheets, rigging, 3 sails and keel bearing kit(new). Everything else was tossed. Sorry.