Why do some sailboats, sail more than others?

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
It was hilarious, and some of the best close quarter's sailing I have ever seen.
Sounds like it would make a good scene for a Captain Ron sequel. Too funny!
My sails are doused and auxiliary is always running if even for a moment before approaching an anchorage, mooring, fuel dock, slip, or raft up I believe I'll need reverse. As far as departures, I'm comfortable hoisting sails provided the conditions and rules are favorable for doing so.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
We regularly sail from, and to the mooring. Not because we need to, in fact, there is far less running of the engine than the engine would probably like, but because we can. The only time we don't sail to the mooring (besides no wind at all) is when it's determined that the breeze is beyond what is deemed safe to grab the mooring. Being 50' from 'keel in the dirt' leaves no wiggle room, so safety is paramount.

Todd D

Jul 4, 2012
Allied Princess Southwest Harbor
I think it often comes down to schedules. In the summer here around Mount Desert Island we have two groups of sailors - locals that often go out for a sail without starting the engine and people from away who are heading somewhere and want to get there by a specific time. The visitors are much more likely to be motoring. We often sail across Blue Hill Bay where we encounter 90% of the sailboats under power heading west from MDI in the morning or east toward MDI in the afternoon. Those people are on schedules to arrive at their next anchorage/mooring by a specific time to be guaranteed a mooring or have time to go ashore. We have also passed boats motoring toward MDI when we were under sail in perfect conditions to make a sustained 7 knots. Those people often seem to feel it isn't worth the work to set sail, perhaps because the wind might drop off preventing them from maintaining their target speed of 5.5 knots (or whatever). That said, we generally motor the last 30-40 minutes into an anchorage because my wife wants to be anchor down by 5 PM AND more important she wants hot water when we get there. These days I find myself taking the powerboat when I want to get somewhere by a specific time.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
We regularly sail from, and to the mooring. Not because we need to, in fact, there is far less running of the engine than the engine would probably like, but because we can. The only time we don't sail to the mooring (besides no wind at all) is when it's determined that the breeze is beyond what is deemed safe to grab the mooring. Being 50' from 'keel in the dirt' leaves no wiggle room, so safety is paramount.
Seamanship. Pure unadulterated Seamanship. (Unless he just got thrown out of a bar. Then it's called "being incarcerated.")

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Seamanship. Pure unadulterated Seamanship. (Unless he just got thrown out of a bar. Then it's called "being incarcerated.")
I've been tossed out of a few on bourbon street ... didn't get incarcerated.... I simply called it "out with Boudreaux". :)

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
I vote for the GREEN stripes as Kermie:
lower and to the left

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
I found a better picture of Kermit's boarders.
This raises a whole new dilemma. Under what pretext could one -possibly- anticipate the wretched possibility of getting tossed from such an establishment? Eh?

Tod

Dec 30, 2010
Montgomery 17 trailered
Sail?
"Ain't nobody got time for that!"

Seriously, I think that in this age of instant gratification, if the conditions for sailing aren't just what the people want, they lack the time and patience to put up with other than straight-to-the-destination-at-the-best-speed-they-can-make that motoring offers.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I knew y'all spelled certain words different up in Canada, eh. Like colour, labour and honour. But wrest? Is that sorta like wrelaxation?
No! It is wrestlaxation:ass: