Why anemometers

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
That's understandable - I have no contention. I'm trying to learn, so it would be stupid of me to be contentious. While I was reading the rest of your post, I was thinking to myself, "I have no wind instruments on my boat, yet at any given moment, I can instantly say where the true wind is coming from. Isn't that an absolutely basic thing for sailors?" Then I read this:

The truth is, I've never considered using the compass for that purpose. So I thinks to meself, "I've been sailing on a lake for the past few years, and I can always see land on all sides of me. In fact, I see the same land all the time, so I'm familiar with all the land features from all different angles. That must certainly help me to understand how the changes in wind direction affect by boat. Maybe if I got out where I can see only water an sky more often, then I'd start understanding the utility of wind instruments as Joe and the other fine sailboatowner guys are describing."

Does that sound right?
There's always something to learn. A compass has many uses, for instance. Ever wonder what those extra lines on the globe are for? Discovering new stuff and putting it to use can enhance your sailing experience. Having fun is what it's all about.

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
...Ever wonder what those extra lines on the globe are for?...
I haven't looked at a globe since the 1970's. What lines are you talking about and why are they there? Can I see them somewhere online? Google Earth?

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
On the boat's magnetic compass are "lubbers lines". There's one that corresponds to the bow. The other ones let you sit to windward or leeward and steer the corse without being directly behind the compass. You just need to be

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
Oh. the globe on the compass. Thanks for the link, Joe; I'll read that tonight.

Apr 8, 2010
Frers 33 41426 Westport, CT
I'll tell her something like, keep that needle on 60 degrees and we'll be fine. I set the sails and we go. No muss, no fuss. Sue doesn't have to crane her neck looking at the top of the mast.
If you teach her to sail off the Jib tell tales, and you trim the jib correctly for her, she won't ever have to look at the Windex OR the instruments ;-)