Who sailed today?

Jan 23, 2012
Catalina Capri 26 Lake Pepin
We enjoyed watching your sail!

We had a very relaxing sail with 8-10 kt. winds on a flat sea. It was a beautiful 72* with clear skies. We ended it by docking at Killer Shrimp and enjoying a couple of bowls of their shrimp.
Pardon the occasional finger in the picture, I use my wife's IPhone and the lens is not where it's suppose to be.
Ran into Timo42 and his wife at the launch ramp when we finished at the end of a perfect day.

With a temp here in Minnesota of -19, feeling like -47 with the wind chill, it was a treat to watch your sail video! The ice is several feet thick on Lake Minnetonka, so we won't be sailing our boat until probably April or May. Just seeing water that moves is a real treat ;)

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
Why do people live in Minnesota? I actually did feel guilty knowing what you guys are going through, glad you enjoyed it,

mgould

Sep 9, 2012
Catalina 22 Lake James, NC
2 hr sail New Years Day w/ kids in the cabin. 48 degree air and water temp. Nice breeze until dark.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2009
Catalina 30 Mk 1, #3335 Midland, Ontario
I did. In my mind, as I sailed my damn snowblower around our driveway. Sailed yesterday too, down to the marina in my SUV to check on my boat cover to ensure it was holding up the record amount of snow we've had this year already. Environment Canada said today that this winter has been "More Active Than Usual." No crap, sparkie! Only good thing is it will benefit the low Great Lakes water levels.
How is everyone enjoying our Canadian Cold Front? I'm not.
Sorry, didn't mean to rant. Hate you all for being on the water right now.
Fair winds, and all that stuff.

Jun 16, 2012
catalina 22 Douglas lake
Re: Here is a Video of Our First Sail of the New Year.

Thanks for sharing this, it made my day . Its 13 degrees in Knoxville and im at work day dreaming about a nice day sail.

Oct 19, 2010
Pearson Electra/Ensign Lake Charles, LA.
Not me. 25 degrees with 30 MPH gusts last night! Felt cold until my brother sent a text from N. Dakota and said it was 20 below where he was!

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
Hope to go out for a few days but we're waiting for the weather guy to decide when it will rain. Temps look to be in the loww 80's Thursday thru Monday. Sorry guys.

Attachments

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
We did too, finally! Holidays are over and Christmas winds were forecast to be a bit more easterly, so an uncharacteristically early start had us underway by 06:05.
The sail between Bequia and St Vincent is typically a wonderful romp of just over 8 miles. The wind blows down the channel with vigor, but generally it's a close reach, either way, so it's usually a fast run and always fun.
The lee of St. Vincent is fairly short, but with a 60+ mile run ahead, we powered about 6 miles of it. As the the wind and seas curve along the north west coast of St. Vincent, we always wonder what the true wind will be in the channel. Smashing into the over sized seas and amplified winds, we settle in for the long (30 mile) slog. For 18 to 20 miles it's 8 to 12 footers with the wind 60 degrees on the bow; wet and not the most comfortable sailing. Magically, almost unnoticed, things slowly begin to change. The seas moderate as we come under the lee, miles to windward, and that allows the old girl to lengthen her stride and slip the miles under her keel as if she was on rails.
We slid by the Duex Pitons, the twin peaks reaching above the cloud bottoms, anchoring the rain, allowing us to pass without a fresh water wash down. The lee of St. Lucia is easily sailed, if one doesn't venture too far offshore, and today was no exception. Bypassing Soufriere and Castries, we sailed to anchor in Rodney Bay, St. Lucia. 73.9 nautical miles in slightly under 11 hours; all in all, a pretty good sail.

babbe

Sep 23, 2013
Beneteau Oceanis 41 Bayfield
We had a very relaxing sail with 8-10 kt. winds on a flat sea. It was a beautiful 72* with clear skies. We ended it by docking at Killer Shrimp and enjoying a couple of bowls of their shrimp.
Pardon the occasional finger in the picture, I use my wife's IPhone and the lens is not where it's suppose to be.
Ran into Timo42 and his wife at the launch ramp when we finished at the end of a perfect day.

Now that was cruel. It is 15 below zero in MN right now. I'm jealous!!!!

DJN51

Oct 26, 2009
Hunter 23.5 East Chicago In
Wish I could,but couldn,t start tractor -35 to plow the 4ft drifts,and I think my marina on Lake Michigan is froze.April 1st not that far away

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
I watched some water come out of the tap in the kitchen today. Does that count?

Mar 30, 2013
Allied Seawind MK II 32' Oologah Lake, Oklahoma
I went out first day of year, despite high of 46. Outboard started first try. I thought I should start off the year on the right tack. 1989 Hunter 26.5 Pep

Looks like a port tack to me.

Jul 11, 2012
Beneteau 381 Lions Head,Ontario
sailing postponed today

Sailing Postponed today. Windchill in the -20degC Blizzard warnings in effect but should clear up for launch May 24 weekend 2014 you lucky guys all we can do is dream or read about sailing till then.

Jun 2, 2013
1980 Catalina 27 Dana Point
image.jpg
Nice way to end the weekend. Had good 10 knot winds into the early evening. Come out to Southern California and get out of that cold. Didn't see any Orcas but the grays are migrating south so there's plenty to see.:dance:

Oct 17, 2011
Ericson 29 Southport..
Went out yesterday morning (Sunday) for an hour on the Cape Fear river, NC. Temp about 60. Have removed canvas for the winter so just motor, but charged batteries and pushed some oil around. Super nice to get out this time of year. No pics.
Well I'll be, I stood there on the waterfront and watched you come down the river wondering who you were, and stood there until you came about. I had brunch at Georges that morning and stepped out there to look for a minute because I gotta help decommission Thurmond's boat that sunk the other day. I noticed that Hunter come about on a dime and then TAKE off back up the river. Fun running with the tide, but beating against it takes some motor, huh? Where you at, Bennett or Sawmill?

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
I didn't go sailing but....

I did something I never thought I'd ever do. I went swimming on Sunday!!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

It was mostly OK as I was prepared for the event as much as possible. Wetsuit, booties, gloves and hood. New customer in the marina. He's having some engine work done this week and wanted a cleaning for the sea trials. His bottom paint was in great shape, luckily. But after 45 minutes as timed by my safety officer (the Admiral), my feet were done. I don't have pictures or video like Fastbottoms but I do have witnesses. Including my banker. LOL.

Last edited:

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
View attachment 71264
Nice way to end the weekend. Had good 10 knot winds into the early evening. Come out to Southern California and get out of that cold. Didn't see any Orcas but the grays are migrating south so there's plenty to see.:dance:
You do mean come out to California for a short visit, don't you?

My son lives about a mile in from Salt Creek so we get down there often, though not by boat.

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
Re: All day on Saturday!

I envy you....We have sailed a lot on Texoma....a great lake! It is 4 above in Wichita but that is much warmer than yesterday. Use to charter a Pearson 36 (Holiday) on
Texoma...then sailed with a friend whose O'day 302 was docked down there for a bit while his boat was being repaired at the Valiant factory....we spent most weekends at Cedar Mills but often sailed to parties at Lowe's and Grandpappy's YC...great times there! Pat