Who is going sailing on the 4th of July?

Sep 3, 2013
Hunter 22 Lake Eufaula
I would love to sail a little on the 4th or 3rd, or even the 5th, unfortunately I no longer have a sailboat, any of you close to St Augustine, FL need any extra deck hands, I would absolutely love to go out on your boat with you for an hour or so... happy to pay for it! ? please???
Chase 334-714-1505 call or txt

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Math Error?

I... Find a nice place on land to watch fireworks. There are 351 other days of the year to go sailing. Safely.
Stu, Aren't there 365 days in a year?

FWIW, We are going up to DC again this year to watch fireworks. Key is to get there early, anchor out of the way, and wait for an hour or two after the end to leave. Otherwise it is "Gentlemen, start your engines!" :D

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
This is the first July 4th where we have had our sailboat.

I have always wanted to cruise offshore on the evening of the 4th to watch the multiple fireworks displays. If I sail south out of Hillsboro Inlet, I should be able to catch the shows on the beaches of Pompano Beach, Sea Ranch Lakes, Lauderdale by the Sea, and Fort Lauderdale.

It should be an east wind so I don't have to worry about cinder damage to the sails.

Who has done this, and how was it? I am sure their is an exclusion zone near the barges, is it worth while to see under sail?
My 4th of July "sails" have always been to an anchoring spot to watch fireworks; and I have not done too many of those. Two or three times when we lived in FL we anchored in a raft with companion boats from our sailing club to watch the fireworks at St. Petersburg. A raft is a little better than being out there just you and your boat with friends aboard, but it's almost obligatory to be behind a seawall or other protected location if rafting. The raft breaks up late after the craziest of the "over imbibed" are gone. You know 'em being the loudest with the noisest engines and the most young bikinis aboard, etc. We tried it once off Long Beach by the dome which once housed the Spruce Goose; no raft, and that was really scary toward the end!! Did it only once, and that was enough!! However, it's not that much better driving the car anywhere near fireworks displays either.

As for more suitable sailing days of a special nature-- we always try for New Year's Day to start the year off right! Also we like to sail late afternoon-evening on the summer solstice. Our most impressive time was when the solstice coincided with a full moon. Sun setting; brisk, coolish wind being in Long Beach; the sun setting and a big moon rising!! A nice glass of wine each, some cheese, and there you go! Do not need fireworks!!

Jul 13, 2010
Precision 23 Perry Hall,Baltimore County
The wife and I and 1 other couple (close friends, coming down from Joisey) will be anchored off the Middle River fireworks barge with about 200 of our closest strangers. This has become a tradition for us, picnic dinner aboard. My mission today is figurein out how to surprise all with root beer floats for dessert!. investigating dry ice right now, but a caterer friend told me it might be too good, freeze ice cream up rock solid.

PGIJon

Mar 3, 2012
Hunter 34 Punta Gorda
Evening cruise in Charlotte Harbor then anchoring off Punta Gorda to watch the fireworks. I actually had a dream last night that we were hit by a speeding boat.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
Sailed to Richmond, Calif from Alameda. Only 12 miles, but very enjoyable sail. We're side tied to the guest dock until Sunday with two other boats from our club. So far the following has happened:

Our friends with a power boat were blowing black smoke all the way here at cruise speed. We found his recently repacked shaft seal was so tight you could only turn it with a socket on a breaker bar on the coupling. It must take 50 hp just to turn it. We're still working on that one.

The lady of the other sailboat practically cut her finger off while slicing an Avacado for lunch. We got a ride to the hospital and four stitches later, back to the dock.

We all did have a nice dinner at the Richmond Yacht Club this evening and all wonder "What could possibly go wrong now?".

My Raymarine autopilot is squeaking incessantly, but my wife and dog are still having a great time.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
So we did it. Weather turned out great, and we had a very nice sail.

When the Fireworks began, we were off of Fort Lauderdale heading north.

Several other sailors heading the same way.

This Catamaran had a huge group aboard

The fireworks off the beach were awesome. we could see the displays from Hollywood, Fort Lauderdale, Lauderdale by the Sea, Sea Ranch Lakes, Pompano Beach, and Deerfield.

Even after the official displays were over, we were still seeing private displays all the way back to port.

Dec 7, 2012
Kittiwake 23, Irwin 43 .. Indianapolis / indianatown, fl
hello All

the 4th was good, but I had to work that day... the company I work for does not believe in holidays.... we work 24/7/365.... I was hauling and dumping 17,000 tons of rock ballast along the route I drive.... I work for the railroad and we are getting ready for a very large rebuild job on the rail I drive.... so they had to have the rock layed before they could start today (Monday)... I got to see plenty of fireworks from the cab of the locomotive... this was my wifes 1st 4th of july holiday in the USA... my son took her out for the fireworks and she enjoyed herself....

I am hoping to be out on the water sometime to see the fireworks too... I have been told they are spectacular when watched from your own boat on the water....

happy 4th, and thanks to all the service men who help to keep it a holiday by keeping us free to celebrate it... as a disabled veteran myself I am always grateful to all our service men, present, past, future, and not forgotten....

sincerely
Jess