Who is going sailing on the 4th of July?

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
This is the first July 4th where we have had our sailboat.

I have always wanted to cruise offshore on the evening of the 4th to watch the multiple fireworks displays. If I sail south out of Hillsboro Inlet, I should be able to catch the shows on the beaches of Pompano Beach, Sea Ranch Lakes, Lauderdale by the Sea, and Fort Lauderdale.

It should be an east wind so I don't have to worry about cinder damage to the sails.

Who has done this, and how was it? I am sure their is an exclusion zone near the barges, is it worth while to see under sail?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I am of the opinion that sailing on the 4th to see fireworks is like driving on New Years Eve.

The problem are the powerboat wingnuts. They are downright dangerous to themselves and others.

Find a nice place on land to watch fireworks. There are 351 other days of the year to go sailing. Safely.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I've done that several times on the Pontchartrain.. from the north shore, we can see shows in New Orleans (about 20 miles) and Slidell (about 15 miles) and the one that was held in Mandeville near the viewing area (half mile).. Instead of applause, a particularly good shell might bring out lots of air horn honks! Some years we rafted up for beverages and snax and grilled things!.. Fun.
Anchor early and stay late to let the frantic people who will die if not immediately back in the slip get out of the way.

Kopite

Mar 11, 2015
Catalina 27 Monroe MI
Has anyone here tried this on Lake Erie - Sterling State Park ? I was thinking to go watch from the boat but am concerned about the departure afterwards, and the throng of high speed boats Vs myself running at 6 knots. Aside from the normal running lights, are other lights advised/permitted to advertise my presence ?

Or - should I just pull up the sails and not worry about them as I'll instantly have right of way ? : )

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
I am of the opinion that sailing on the 4th to see fireworks is like driving on New Years Eve.

The problem are the powerboat wingnuts. They are downright dangerous to themselves and others.

Find a nice place on land to watch fireworks. There are 351 other days of the year to go sailing. Safely.
The crazy "powerboat wingnuts" in this area tend to stay inland. (ie too close to shore) 20'-40' of water. Whereas I like to sail beyond the 100' drop off point (maybe a mile or two offshore), since the deeper ocean waves tend to be much less choppy. I don't plan on anchoring, just sailing south, and the turning around when its done, and sailing back north. By the time I get back to the inlet, all the power boaters should be home in bed.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I am of the opinion that sailing on the 4th to see fireworks is like driving on New Years Eve. There are 351 other days of the year to go sailing. Safely.
What are the other 12 days you don't want to sail? Christmas?

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al

excuse my ignorance here ...but what happened to the other 14 days :confused:

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Woodster and I are clearly twin brothers of different mothers.
Ahh, ya both got me! Whar are friends for, right?

Lemme think of other days:

1. New Year Eve - too bloody cold around here, besides, New Years Day is better since the yacht clubs are open!!!

2. Fleet Week - jerks abound

3. Opening Day - just like #3, folks who take their boats out twice a year, if that

4. My wife's birthday - God forbid!!!:eek::eek::eek:

5. Mothers Day - same as 4 :dance:

6. Our anniversary - not that my wife doesn't like sailing, she does, a lot, but not this day, plus it's in chilly March; we hope it rains for a change next winter.

OK, have at me, since it may be a while before I can make some remark on some poor poster and include my signature: "Do the Math!" :doh::doh::doh:

Back to the OP, if YOU think you can be safe, then have it. Many tales of folks getting killed by the wingnuts - happens EVERY year, EVERY year.

Jun 5, 2014
Capital Yacths Newport MKIII 30 Punta Gorda, Fl
Last year we sailed to Punta Gorda, fl on the 3rd. Anchored out by Gilchrest park. Watched the Harbor Swim (across the harbor, swimmers and kayakers passed by all the anchored boats) the morning of the 4th, and then watched the fireworks from the cockpit. Great view.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
No sailing ... just anchoring

Here's our crew for fireworks. There is never any problem with the thousands of other boaters. I just have to watch out for the tippler in the air chair!

Cory and Renee are in Florida right now, so we're going to miss their company on Friday night.

Have fun sailing! Sounds like a great plan to me.

Attachments

Jan 14, 2014
Newport Newport 28 Fair Haven, NY
Heading out with my brother on Lake Ontario for a nice tandem sail to watch them from the bay, though we'll be anchored likely towards the islands, and plenty out of the normal traffic path. Looking forward to it!

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Sounds like you've got a good plan to stay out of the way of the chaos and still enjoy the show. We've had a lot of good nights anchored out on the 4th, away from the action. Agree with Stu's recommendations to avoid the crowds, but if you're not too close to the typical viewing spots, and not on a line between them and the marinas, you're migrating the risk pretty well.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
I used to, but nowadays I'd have to leave at dawn to get out of the harbor safely. So I hang around the dock which is elbow to elbow people, kids, dogs and barbeques. If I wasn't there I'd worry about some nimrod setting the dock on fire and not being able to evacuate the boat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hb5XCbwqsQ

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
I used to, but nowadays I'd have to leave at dawn to get out of the harbor safely. So I hang around the dock which is elbow to elbow people, kids, dogs and barbeques. If I wasn't there I'd worry about some nimrod setting the dock on fire and not being able to evacuate the boat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hb5XCbwqsQ
I'll be on our dock next to Ted's, watching to see if he evacuates. That will be my signal to do the same. :)

Although, there will be so many water-war guns deployed on a hundred dinghies circling the harbor, that they could probably put a fire out even before the fireboat showed up.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
We were sailing in the Long Island Sound one July and happened to be in the water on the evening of July 3rd. Unknown to us some cities in Connecticut and New York had moved their fireworks display to the 3rd and we were able to see three shows at once on both shores of the Sound. From a distance you could not hear the sound effects and the displays looked small and low in the horizon so after saying "wow look three shows" we just kept on our evening sail. If you want to see a fireworks show choose one and like others say get there early and leave late. Get a couple of platters of food and a couple of bottles of wine and enjoy the show at anchor.

Aug 14, 2013
MacGregor 26S High Desert
We will be skipping the insanity that is the 4th Of July holiday. Instead we'll hit the water on Tuesday after the partiers and drunkards are gone.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Just find a place to drop the hook and after the show, go below. Come home in the am.

No sailing for us this time. We plan to attend a tailgate potluck then a baseball game (Everett Aquasox) which is followed by fireworks with about 25 friends.

Ken

Dec 27, 2012
Precision Precision 28 St Augustine
It's a yearly ritual for us. The power boats don't bother us there in such a rush to get home after the show. I just wait a few minutes and let them take off.

Oct 10, 2009
Catalina 27 Lake Monroe
Not this year because I'm on the third coast for the Fourth, enjoying Lake Michigan without a water craft, but I must say we've been lucky in past years; the behavior on the water at our lake after the fireworks has always been quite responsible.