Whisker Pole

Dec 31, 2011
Hunter 40.5 Seattle
Hey fellow 40.5ers...

Do you have a whisker pole? If so can you share model, dimensions and set-up?

thanks
Frederick

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
Forespar site has model specific recommendations - https://www.forespar.com/whisker-poles.shtml which suggests a J of 17' and their telescoping whisker pole of 13 - 24 feet.

Perhaps your fellow 40.5 owners will "weigh-in" on my main problem with poles on a larger cruising boat - handling a heavy pole short-handed. Unless you're racing and have a fore deck ape up there throwing the pole around, it's just me or an equally aged buddy trying to wrestle 18 feet of aluminum.

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
If Your going to race at some point, just for fun, it can't be longer than your LP. (on my boat 14.3 which is J X 1.10). This is according to my PHRF Certificate. I had a carbon fiber pole made. It weighs 8lbs and most of that is the end caps. I can twirl it with one hand like a baton. It cost 4k and I smile every time I use it because it was worth every penny.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
I have a used telescoping pole that was on a 30' boat. It works well enough; a bit small in diameter but the extension sections inside stiffen it. I lashed a D ring on the top and bottom for a pole lift and downhaul. It's the J dimension.

Dec 31, 2011
Hunter 40.5 Seattle
If Your going to race at some point, just for fun, it can't be longer than your LP. (on my boat 14.3 which is J X 1.10). This is according to my PHRF Certificate. I had a carbon fiber pole made. It weighs 8lbs and most of that is the end caps. I can twirl it with one hand like a baton. It cost 4k and I smile every time I use it because it was worth every penny.
thanks, yes this is mainly for racing... or for long term downwind cruising.... some day ;)