Which manufacturer?

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
If you don't have enough projects to do around your new home I guess you could get stuck into one which will almost certainly cost you considerably more than it could ever be worth in labor and money, before it ever touches the water.
And without a proper title, it is just plain a foolish endeavor.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Well someone else wanted to 'rescue' a sailboat by making it into a play area in their yard, I'd consider that first before fixing it. Like others have said there are too many unknowns and plenty of boat s out there if you really want to sail. Oh I'd tell the realtor you need $2,000 off your price if they leave it...

Cpoit

Aug 29, 2018
Na Na Na
Thanks all for the replies... ball park estimate of a boat rebuild of this size?? 15k-20k.... no sizzle features just a working sailboat. Forgot to mention in my first post if we can keep the unoriginal sarcastic comments to a minimal, that would be great!!

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Thanks all for the replies... ball park estimate of a boat rebuild of this size?? 15k-20k.... no sizzle features just a working sailboat. Forgot to mention in my first post if we can keep the unoriginal sarcastic comments to a minimal, that would be great!!
Welcome to SBO. The simple fact is that you can buy a good example of a boat that size/vintage for a couple of thousand, if that. Fixing that boat will cost much more, PLUS the time. It makes zero economic sense unless you have the skill, gumption, and the value of your time spend on it is zero. I'm assuming none of that is true. If someone 'sold' you on the romantic notion that there is a 'sailboat in the back yard', you gotta get that out of your head.

Right now, it's worth -$1000 just sitting there; the cost of someone hauling it to the dump plus the disposal charge. A boat of that size/vintage without a trailer (even in good condition) is value-less. You can find a boat/trailer combo for less than a good trailer would cost you.

None of this is meant to be snarky. Just seen this here a million times.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
That looks like an old American 23. They were poor sailing boats and not very well constructed. Be sure the owner gets rid of it before you buy the property as that boat is not even worth fixing. If you want a 22 ish footer look at a Catalina 22 orr an O'day of that size. You can buy one in near mint condition for a fraction of what it would cost to fix that one up, and you'll have a better boat..

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
That bow rail has to be worth something right there. The rest, well, probably not so much.

Nov 26, 2017
Hunter 260 Mille Lacs
Can’t help with id, but I can answer your second question with one word: “more”!

Just kidding... you’ve had plenty of warning, so I’ll throw in a more optimistic note. I wouldn’t assume you’ll have to “replace everything”. Most everything attached to the boat was made to withstand exposure to sun, wind and seawater, which means weather and time don’t necessarily cause any problems.

Your lines are probably rotten (unless by chance they’re properly stowed below and protected from the elements... in which case they could be perfectly fine. Again, assume nothing.)

Stainless steel stuff should mostly be good as new after a good cleaning. Look for corrosion at welds, but I don’t think you’ll find much. Check your standing rigging carefully. Sharply kinked wire rope, broken strands, sharp bends at the swaged end fittings would be warning signs. Unless it has been badly abused, it’s probably fine, but if you do find damaged rigging, consider abandoning refurbishment. Standing rigging is expensive.

Plastic parts? Or SS parts with plastic sub components (ie.blocks and other tackle)? Inspect carefully. If they haven’t seen too much sun they’re probably fine. Even if no good, consider rebuilding... sheaves can be replaced in many block assemblies. Also look to salvage. A block’s a block in a particular size/configuration. Doesn’t have to have come from the same model boat.

Anything rubber is probably shot, but if your goal is just to go day-sailing or maybe an over-nighter in good weather, you can wait on replacing most things rubber.

Which brings me to my last and most important suggestion. . . Before doing ANYTHING, inspect the deck and hull thoroughly. The fiberglass is far and away the weakest link in the whole assembly. More specifically the core. On the deck look for spots that don’t feel solid. On the hull tap with small hammer and listen for spots that don’t sound solid. Most older boats will show a few signs of aging, but if you find more than a few, or any that are large or particularly squishy, then don’t bother with any thoughts of restoration. Fiberglass can be repaired, but the cost/complexity is high!

If you do have a sound hull and are willing to do the work, it could be a very rewarding project. As others have said, though, you will probably end spending about as much as what you could buy a half decent boat for.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
take off everything that's metal and scrap it. Then it's only one day with a chain saw to get garbage sized pieces. :biggrin:
Wear Tyvek suit and a mask.

Aug 1, 2011
Even in that picture there appears to be some form of damage to the hull/deck joint. The rub rail hanging down is bad enough but not necessarily a show stopper, but the fact that the extrusion is missing could be a sign that the hull took a hit.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
NO ONE will take that boat as a donation
Well not so true.:badbad:
There is a Seafood restaurant in a Coastal City that has one used as a Sign. Even a old Camille Tug that is a Museum.
Oh well...
Jim...

Dec 1, 1999
Hunter 28.5 Chesapeake Bay
Friend of mine recently got a "free" Tanzer 22. So far, he has spent about $5k in repairs, upgrades, and a new OB and other equipment. So, sometimes "free" really isn't. However, he was looking for a project boat (and the pictured boat in this thread would be a classic example of one) to keep him busy in the boatyard as he has a lot of time on his hands. So it meets his needs. Make sure your "free" boat meets yours.

Oct 10, 2011
Tartan 34C Toms River, New Jersey
Hello all, I'm buying a house and the owners are leaving their old sailboat behind, pictured below. So if anyone can help with who the manufacturer is, boat length, etc I would appreciate it! Also, assuming almost everything in this boat needs to be replaced, what should I expect to pay just for parts? Thanks all for your knowledge.

View attachment 155642
Hello and welcome. I live on the Jersey Shore and if you are in reasonable distance I would be more then glad to check it out for you. I do have quite a bit of experience in the above matter.
If you are interested send me a email.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
The reason that derelict boat is sitting the backyard of a home that someone is trying to sell you is that they know it will cost more to get rid of it than it is worth or they are willing to pay, and believe me they have tried to get it gone. You could have them remove it, or take a price reduction on the sale. I would ask for $3,000 - that should get them thinking creatively.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Well not so true.:badbad:
There is a Seafood restaurant in a Coastal City that has one used as a Sign. Even a old Camille Tug that is a Museum.
Oh well...
Jim...
Don't wag your little sausage at me! That's not a donation.

Aug 1, 2011
If anybody knows of a 1957 Glass Magic 18’ Playmaster they’re looking to get hauled out of a woodpile someplace, anyplace, let me know.
Even better would be the finned, 35 hp “big Johnson”. :)

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I'm guessing there are no sails with that boat. You can buy a better boat that is ready to sail today for less than the cost of the sails you need, never mind all the rest of the hardware that will cost thousands. If you haven't closed on the house, you really should make the seller get rid of it. Do yourself a favor and don't take possession of it. That looks like it could just as easily be a Lake Hopatcong or Greenwood Lake neighborhood. You can find a lot better derelicts than that in a five minute radius, I'm sure.