Which kayak to get?

Mar 13, 2015
Hunter 37.5 Cambridge Maryland
Hi there my name is Wayne. My question is we are thinking about purchasing a kayak for our Hunter 34. We were thinking to stay around the 10 foot range but not sure if that's big enough. We are new to kayaks and not sure whether we should get a sit on top or a sit it. My thoughts to a sit in kayak would be it would be much more difficult to drain the water out before using it. Any thoughts?

druid

Apr 22, 2009
Ontario 32 Pender Harbour
Sit-on-top's are basically DESIGNED to get wet ;) OTOH they're not stable enough to be used in anything like rough water. The Answer to draining the water out of a sit-in is called a "spray skirt" - I have one that goes completely over the cockpit for storage, and you wear one when paddling to keep the water out. If you're out in water suitable for a sit-on-top, don't worry about water getting in - they're too stable for that.

druid

Feb 1, 2016
Long Beach, CA
Question: Best kayak to get for carry-along cruising.
There are devotees for both types..."sit in" and "sit-on-top". Which type you get depends on your intended use. The "sit in" style provides a little more protection from the elements, and often is used for long-range kayaking in protected waters. My personal preference for carry-along cruising is the "sit-on-top" type, primarily because they are self-draining. You can toss them from a pitching deck and if they land upside down, no problem. Regarding the best size for kayak take-alongs, I would go for a kayak between 8-12ft long, with above-average width for better stability. Remember, you have to get in and out of your kayak onto moving platforms, and a stable kayak makes life a lot easier here.

Apr 10, 2011
O'Day 40 Muskegon
I bought a Wilderness Ride 115 sit on top 11'6" and 33" wide - very stable and handles water well. It is fishing kayak, so is designed for stability, and if you want to fish you can get the attachments for fishing.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
The best kind is Free!!!

I have two sit on style, One cost me $20 at a yard sale. The other I picked up for free out of a dumpster at an apartment complex. Keep an eye out. They are hard to pack and ship, so they go up on craigslist and ebay for little money. Mine have both been on multiple trips through mangroves and Florida keys salt flats. If I lose one or it gets stolen off the boat, I will not be upset, and will just look for another.

Good kayak paddles on the other hand can be pricey. Store below decks.

Oct 4, 2010
Pearson 323 Rockland
I have four kayaks, two sit in and two sit on. Most of my life I've used the traditional sit-in, which are generally quicker/narrower/longer than the sit-on and less wet. However, as I get older, I appreciate the ease of getting in and out of the sit-on kayak. I was sold on the sit-on during a trip to Florida last Spring when I was launching the rental kayak from an ocean beach (as opposed to lake side). You will get wet in a sit-on, both from splash and the drain holes. But if you dump, it's far easier to get back on the sit-on variety. I haven't tried it from a boat ladder, but suspect that the sit-on would be easier for access and egress from the ladder too.

Apr 4, 2015
Bavaria Vision 42 Campbell River
Have you considered an inflatable? We have a Sea Eagle Explorer 420 on our Hunter 38 and have enjoyed it. It is especially easy to get into from the back of our boat, and can be lifted on board manually by the two of us - even though it is quite a large one - I'm 6'6" and don't fold into regular kayaks too well. I've installed a pair of Magma racks so that we can keep it inflated while we're cruising between anchorages - might not do that in big winds although we've had it in place for a short run into 25 knots.

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
I would like more feedback on inflatables. We have zero room for a hard one. All the inflatables I've seen look much harder to paddle.

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
Hey Scuba Man, you're definitely in the market for a sit-on-top. I can only assume that you might be using your kayak considerably for access to dive spots away from large boat anchorages or moorings. You'll be terribly disappointed if you try to load your scuba gear in a longer/narrower sit-in recreational kayak. There's just not sufficient holds for tanks, regulator, markers, weight belt, wet suit, flippers, and buoyancy compensators. The sit on tops are mostly designed for various purposes which include surfing waves, rough water, and even sailing with the right accessories. Sit on tops are also tremendously stable...dependent on the beam width you select. They are clearly intend for wet rides, with scuppers that drain water quickly. The scuppers can also be plugged for a drier paddle. Your gear would fit much easier in a sit on top with only a few bungee cords. There are actually some really nice SOT kayaks designed for scuba, and they might be worth consideration...if price doesn't matter too much. The biggest shortcoming is once again, as this knowledgeable group has stated...these are wet rides in turbulent water. Shuttling family to a dock for a bite to eat would not be much fun for the kiddies or Admiral. If you want it all...you might consider an inflatable dinghy and trolling or gas motor.

One more thing, although inflatable kayaks might address all your usages and are incredibly stable, they track terrible...making your voyage to wherever exhausting by constantly correcting port and starboard without a rudder or skeg.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Rent or borrow.

IMHO, there is absolutely no point in having a kayak I have to inflate. Won't use it. Plus they're like jogging in galoshes; you can do it, but.... I kinna feel the same way about sit-on-top, but no so strongly; for diving sit-on-top is much better.

As for space, I carry 2 kayaks and a dingy on davits. A child can launch them from there (my kid did).

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
Seems to me that sit ons are much more forgiving and easier for non expert users. If the main purpose is just paddling to the beach or similar that is what I would go with.

Mar 13, 2015
Hunter 37.5 Cambridge Maryland
Thanks guys for all your help and advice. I never really considered an inflatable. But Blow Me Away you brought up a good point about the dive gear. I was kind of thinking that a sit on top would be best but I was not sure since I really don't know or have experienced a sit it. We have a dinghy with the motor to get us to the dock for and long trips of exploring. The kayak was going to be used more so for the kids, possibly diving and doing short exploratory's.
Thanks again for everyone's advice!

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
A sit on top kayak can be a bit like taking a dump on the in-ship head while sailing in 25-30 Knot winds. Inevitably your bottom's gonna get wet. In calm waters a double seated, SOT scuba toting kayak may be the ideal solution. If the weathers fine, put the kids in bathing suits on a nice sit on top, preferably a two man vessel, make sure they're wrapped in PFD's, and tell 'em to bring you back some stones or shells. You'll be able to down some grog on the big boat and the Admiral will have no worries...as long as the kids are in sight. Best of luck in you selection.
Also sharing your first name...Although I'm known best as Wayner the Complainer!

Apr 4, 2015
Bavaria Vision 42 Campbell River
I think people are being a bit harsh on the inflatables. It's all about how you're going to use it. Yes - they may take a bit more effort to paddle and be a bit slower than a hard body, but you're not using it to go on expeditions all the time - you're usually using it around anchorages. Mine does have a skeg and tracks quite well - not at all without it though. It also has an almost 800lb carrying capacity - two normal sized people and lots of gear or two smaller kids, if you want. It's effectively a sit-on-top so you're going to get a bit wet. The benefits are the ease of stowage on the boat, transporting it - easy to throw in the back of the truck to take up to lakes around here - and the stability of the kayak, both under way and getting in and out of it. Ours also becomes a water toy for the grandkids at anchor. You need room on deck to inflate it so gauge the size of the kayak to deck space.

Feb 1, 2016
Long Beach, CA
Been enjoying the feedback on kayaks from everyone. Some great ideas! Thanks much for your participation in the "Cruising with Kayaks" forum. The bottom line is having fun on the water without hurting yourself or anyone else. Keep in mind that you can call me anytime at Ecomarine if you have any questions, comments, or suggestions. Just ask for Mike.

Feb 1, 2016
Long Beach, CA
Question: Any particular models that have good configs to work decently?
For kayaks, I like the hobie's. You pay a little more for them, but they are sturdy, well made and well designed machines. The hobie foot operated machine is a great option for full-body exercise, and a lot of fun. Besides, all the hobie's models work well with sportsracker carriers. We recently designed a carrier for the hobie mirage adventure island, a 16 ft sailing cat, using 3 instead of the standard 2 stanchion supports.
Forgot to mention a neat trick for keeping sit-on top kayaks dry. You get rubber plugs for the self-drain holes (West Marine has them), which unhappily tend flood the seat areas. Just tie a cord to them, made fast to any convenient point on your kayak, so that you can pull them quickly without losing them if you need the drains.

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
Sorry,
Forgot one word...inflatable.

Desodave had feedback on inflatables with keel.

With my space considerations, its either 1 inflatable or nothing. Right now, its nothing.