Which kayak to get?

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
longer length = greater speed. We have a couple of 10fters. We often wish for longer when paddling around home. But space on board would dictate the longest you can live with (assuming NOT inflatable)

Mar 13, 2015
Hunter 37.5 Cambridge Maryland
Yes I was thinking around 10' to 12'. I have heard the longer the better for tracking , speed etc. But as you suggested space on board is limited. Really looking for something just to explore with but not too far away. Thanks again for everyone giving me your insight it has really helped my decision and what to look for in a kayak.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
How about a SUP paddled whilst sitting on a drinks cooler. Could even be inflatable.

Feb 1, 2016
Long Beach, CA
Have you considered a rail-mounted rack. Then, space on-board is no issue, with even a 16 ft kayak. The only real limitation with rail racks is the stanchion/rail torsion load strength. Most boats have a sturdy backing plate under the deck supporting the stanchion and can safely support loads up to 80 lbs.

Feb 1, 2016
Long Beach, CA
The max speed you can get (assuming you are not planing) is 1-1/2 times the square root of the waterline length. If you have a 16 ft kayak for example, your top speed is about 6 knots. With a 12 ft kayak, you lose about 1 knot in top speed.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
On one of the financial shows they featured a Kayak manufacturer looking for venture capital. The company demo'ed a folding kayak that had what I would call a membrane skin and some framework made out of, I presume, high tech fiberglass. It all folded into a square which could fit on virtually any boat. It was nearly flat. I don't know if it had a keel, its length, width or weight. I don't even like kayaks but it seemed like something useful for gunk holing, touring the local anchorage or just getting a bit of exercise. I didn't catch the name of the company. I think the money guys, or gals, shot him down as the market isn't big enough.

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Catalina 310 Niagara-on-the-Lake
If $$ is no object, you should try the Hobie Mirage Pedal Kayak. The 2 person kayak is heavy, but a ton of fun. You use your legs for propulsion, like a paddle boat, but this thing really flies (unlike a paddle boat). This is hands free kayaking, there is even a drink holder!

Cheers

Apr 4, 2015
Bavaria Vision 42 Campbell River
If you're into inflatables, have a look at the Sea Eagles which have several models with skegs. They are not cheap, but also not the most expensive - a lot less than the Hobie's, for example. They've got an exterior that has held up to being scraped across the oyster beds and rocks prevalent in the shallows of Desolation Sound and the Discovery Islands. They inflate relatively quickly with a foot pump - 3 compartments - then seats clip in. Only just enough room on our deck for inflation though with the longer 420, but Magma rail racks mean only one inflation when you're gunkholing or anchorage hopping. Stability is great and they're quite easy to get into from the back of our boat - a real plus for two older boaters. I've had two tall adults and two small kids in it so lots of space and carrying capacity (should take scuba gear for two plus the divers). Also quite usable by one person without any alteration of seats. Relatively local distributor set up a couple of models for us to look at and sit in, so it helped us make a choice. Saw some very high-end folding ones - they look much more like hardbodies and probably paddle easier and faster - but often slow assembly and typical kayak entry/exit problems from a boat. After dropping a skeg overboard when deflating the kayak :banghead:, I bought an extra spare - it does NOT track without the skeg although that's the river configuration !!

Feb 1, 2016
Long Beach, CA
Question: Which Kayak to get?
Last year, the hobie pedal drives were redesigned and are much more efficient. Have discovered that you can get up to your kayak hull speed just with the pedals alone. These drives make the hobie a definite contender for the best kayak; the pedal drives work like fins rather than paddle wheels, and require hardly any effort. Although you can use these drives with most of the hobie models, I like the models that support the optional hobie sail kit. The pedal drives also act as a centerboard when under sail. Furling or lowering the sail while underway was rather awkward. You need to either add some hardware or do that at the dock!

Feb 11, 2016
Macgregor 26M n/a
I own an Advanced Element inflatable kayak, the model is a 13' Advanced frame Expedition AE1009. I brought it last May and I am very pleased with the convenience and performance. It is a hybrid inflatable frame with fabric deck and PVC tarpaulin hull. I brought the optional backbone to improve tracking and it functions very well.

I looked into all their models and initially I wanted to buy the Air fusion elite, but finally decided on the AE1009 because of the extra load capacity for kayak camping. Performance wise, I had a trip from Barnet Marine Park to Indian River ( in Vancouver, BC) and I had no problem keeping up with hard shell kayaks. The total return trip is about 55 km. Inflating the kayak is very easy, there are many videos and reviews you can Google.

Their website http://www.advancedelements.com/ has all the information and every question that I had before I finalized my decision are answered in their "Community" section.

DISCLAIMER: Not working for the manufacturer or related to them in any way ;)

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
We have looked at Kayaks for our Catalina 310, we would launch it off the stern, you have opened up some ideas that we have not thought about. We like the sit-in type as we have used them, and also the sit on top but trying to decide on one person or two. OR two one person kayaks., Thoughts?

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
I do a lot of kayaking, and own 2 sit in singles, and 2 sit on top singles and 1 double.
I am thinking of upgrading to the native kayak with peddles.
the seat and the ability to peddle in reverse make it IMHO, the ultimate yak.
The native kayaks and some Hobie's have a frame that raises you up a good 2-3" which keeps your butt dry and helps you see farther into water. A good seat makes a big difference on trips over an hour or 3.
these fishing type yaks are also much wider, and stable. designed so you can stand up cast on them in flat water.

OTOH, I would have a SOT double for cruising.

Last edited: