Which Bolt Bleeds the Yanmar Fuel Filter?

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Which Bolt Bleeds the Yanmar Fuel Filter? 4JH4E thanks
Do not know. Engine manual should tell you; might be available on line - Page 244 Fuel Feed Pump; Construction Of Fuel Feed Pump; Fuel Feed Pump Specifications - Yanmar 3JH4E Service Manual [Page 244] | ManualsLib). In the past I've filled the new filter with fresh fuel before installing. Then used the primer lever on the pump to push more fuel into the filter and lift pump. Took but a few cranks and she (4JH2-TE) fired right up.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
The Yanmar manual says to not fill the secondary fuel filter with fuel before installation because that can cause unfiltered fuel to go through the injectors.

On my 3JH3, it's the center bolt. It should have a copper crush washer under it. Clean and fill the primary, r&r the secondary, remove/loosen that bolt, and pump like mad on the priming pump. Once you get diesel out, pop the bolt back in. (New washer as appropriate)

The JH series are "self priming." - Crank for a bit and it'll fire. Address cooling water appropriately. Best would be somebody below with the seacock off that turns it on when it's running. Other than that it's a sprint down the companionway stairs.

Dec 19, 2019
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda
Thanks all. I downloaded the current manual. Much better than my paper copy that came with the boat. New manual has that pic above. It took forever to pump fuel into an empty filter. Glad I did it.