Which boat is a better boat

Status
Not open for further replies.

salut!

Nov 13, 2010
catalina 38 New Bedford, MA
We are looking to upgrade to a bigger boat since we decide that sailing wil be a big part of our retirement activity,
We are presently lookin at an Endaevour35 and a Bemeteau 37 bothin the 80's and in decent condition. Which one will be better at sailing and can take bigger seas. Thank You for your advice, Jacques & Nancy

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
One oft debated criteria for seaworthiness is "capsize ratio". You could plug the two boats' values into this formula: http://www.sailingusa.info/cal__capsize.htm . But given the similarity of that number I think I would make my decision on other factors. Chief among those would be deck-stepped versus keel-stepped mast, plastic versus metal portlights, and mostly how I felt behind the wheel in a stiff breeze.

An aside, my own boat is one of the very few Hunters with a below 2.0 capsize ratio. It also has a keel-stepped mast and bronze portlights. I have felt safe sailing her in outrageous conditions. Yet I do not consider her an offshore boat.

Tim R.

May 27, 2004
Caliber 40 Long Range Cruiser Portland, Maine
I believe the Endeavour is a heavier displacement boat. You are comparing apples to oranges here. Maybe if you told us a little more about your criteria, we could recommend an appropriate boat.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
I really like Rich's chart link. My H37C compared to a Bene First 405 is better in capsize ratio, SAD, and comfort. Yeah, right! I'll trade even up. Any Bene owners listening. :)

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37 C sloop Punta Gorda FL
Which one will be better at sailing and can take bigger seas. Thank You for your advice, Jacques & Nancy
Thirty five years ago, a Mcgegor Venture 24 could take bigger seas better than I wanted to.

Study weather and read up on early trade wind voyagers. Plan and time your open water legs to minimize heavy weather. Replace all the rigging with oversized, Replace the sails with heavy stuff with double or triple reefs, add storm sails and go knock yourselves silly. Either boat will be tougher than you are, Neither was intended to be a bluewater boat.

higgs

Aug 24, 2005
Nassau 34 Olcott, NY
I will take issue with deck stepped vs keel stepped. A well designed deck step has both advantages and disadvantages as does the keel stepped.

Sep 25, 2008
Harpoon 5.2 Honolulu, HI
Take a hard look at the interior layouts and also the drafts, and think about what you want to do. I know the Endeavors were heavy boats, they also had some sort of 'interesting' layouts by modern standards. The Bene will most likely have an aft cabin. How many people do you plan to sail with? These are definitely very different boats. Beneteaus usually have iron bolt on keels, and I believe the Endeavor had encapsulated with fiberglass covering it, which is easier to maintain.
I'm willing to bet you can find the Endeavor for significantly less than the Beneteau also.
It should be pretty easy to list your priorities and pick between these two boats.

Jan 4, 2010
Farr 30 San Francisco
Well I am partial to 37 ft Beneteaus but these are probably quite different boats.
The Bene is likely faster and more plastic topsides so lower maintenance.

The extra 2 ft of length and little more beam might make the ride smoother despite the Endevor's more traditional look design.

The longer boat means higher costs in the marina. Some say operating cost is proportional to the cube of length, maybe it is more on a per pound basis?

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
A friend of mine has an Endeavor 35 and it is a really nice boat. He just had to have his cabin roof re-cored. The other area in the Endeavor 35 is the mast step in the bilge. This is an area to check.

My friend's boat sails quick. It is a nice boat for cruising.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
I agree with higgs. A deck step mast means no leakage path into the boat for rain water. I looked at an Allied Seawind ketch once when I was looking to move up from a Catalina 25. The Seawind is considered a bluewater boat, built extremely heavy for her size, and it has a deck step mast. My Catalina 25 was deck stepped and the only problem I didn't like was how to bring the electrical cables to the mast in a robust way that wouldn't leak or get damaged when working on deck changing sails, reefing, etc. I'm open to other opinions on this subject however, if others have good reasons against a deck stepped mast.
Also based on Rogers discussions about his Endeavour 32 they seem to be solid boats. I am familiar with the Endeavour 42 a large center cockpit design that is built like a tank. Benes certainly have their proponents as they are a very large builder. I never liked their choice of interior wood and stain, just a cosmetic thing and personal preference.

Eric M

Sep 30, 2008
Island Packet 35 Jacksonville
You asked which is a "better" boat, there a lot of different ways to evaluate "better". Assuming you, like most of us, will do some if not all your maintenance yourself, look at every piece of equipment on both boats and ask how hard would this be to change. It is not a matter of if, but when you will be replacing every single component, bilge pump, fridge, batteries, head, holding tank, water tank, the list goes on. I literally just spent 12 hours to change the hose barb fitting on the cold water inlet side of my water heater. The first step in the project was to cut an access pannel in the aft cabin of the boat to gain access to the end of the water heater where I needed to work. I'll certainly look at our next boat from a different point of view when evaluating which is the "better" boat.
Good Luck,
--Eric

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
Simple answer with respect to long term or island hopping type cruising:

For cruising, Id choose the Bene over the Endeavour because is has more 'internal volume' and wider beam for slightly greater load capacity, even that Bene's typically have less 'stowage' capacity and seem, to me, targeted for 'weekend' sailing. The less 'crap' that you stow will make cruising 'easier' and less 'cluttered'.

Beneteau has certainly improved in build quality and 'layout' over the years ... and even as one who favors 'traditional' boats, I find especially the newer Bene's quite 'high bang for the buck' boats, even over the other 2 'production boat' brands - especially, for me, the FARR designed Bene's.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Hi all,
Beneteau has several types which I haven't figured out, First, Oceanis, Owner's and Idyle, so how does one compare? I retire this Saturday and have been working my list of wants. The wild card is still the Ying for my Yang. Its got to be her idea :snooty: if I really want to move up. :naughty:
All U Get

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
What she will really like is a pullman berth and a shower stall. Maybe an electric flush toilet while you are at it. Sounds like a Caliber or Island Packet to me.

Sep 25, 2008
Harpoon 5.2 Honolulu, HI
@ alluget -- I can tell you from my boat that at least with the older First "race" boats, it's still pretty cushy. Mine has pressure water, hot water, berths, etc etc. Oceanis are max volume for cruising, but by any weekend standards the First aren't bad.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Eric's post hit a very, very good point.

A simple test: what do you have to do to check the oil dipstick?

If that's a problem, then what Eric described would be the first of your issues.

I always suggest that new boat owners do the oil dipstick test before they go any further.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
@ alluget -- I can tell you from my boat that at least with the older First "race" boats, it's still pretty cushy. Mine has pressure water, hot water, berths, etc etc. Oceanis are max volume for cruising, but by any weekend standards the First aren't bad.
Thanks for the comparison, we would be cruising so the amenities are important.
All U Get

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
First you have to think about the type of sailing you intend to do. Daysailing, offshore passage making, overnighting, weekending? If you are going offshore, you need a boat built for that purpose. If you are coastal cruising, you don't need a boat built for the North Sea necessarily. If you are going long distances, then you must think about things like fuel and water tankage capacity, storage, engine size, adequate gear, etc. If you are going to be sailing in Florida or the Bahamas, you have to think about keel type and draft (the water is skinny down there). How many people will be sailing with you? Think of berth capacity. What sort of cooking facilities will you need? What sort of food cooling storage will you need? Basically the Endeavor is a sturdy, well-built vessel that is heavy displaced in comparison to the Beneteau and so, if you expect to end up in some heavy conditions, you might favor this boat. If you are coastal cruising perhaps the Benny will do nicely. The Endeavor is an older model and so you can get a bigger boat for less money than perhaps a Benny, which might be newer will not get you as much boat for the same amount of money (maybe). I have sailed an Endeavor 43 ketch all over Florida and through the Bahamas for years and it was a very adequate vessel in all sorts of conditions. It was very comfortable below and on deck. Because it was a center cockpit, it made for great fishing off the stern where you could clean fish on the afterdeck without getting any blood and guts in the living area of the boat or cockpit. Other things you have to consider is how many will sail the boat (a couple or a full crew)? How is the boat rigged for a couple versus a larger crew or family? What sort of electrical support do you need for the type of sailing you are intending to do? Need a genset, for instance? Rather than just thinking about the brand of boat, think of the type of sailing you will be doing and where you will sail and then rule in the boats that fit your criteria.

Status
Not open for further replies.