Where to get the best price - Windlass for Beneteau

Aug 2, 2018
Beneteau Oceanis 40cc Little River, SC
We have a Beneteau Oceanis 40CC that currently has a Horizontal, on-deck, electric,heavy duty windlass that pulls both road and chain. Since the Leroy Somer motor in it is has seen better days, (the mechanic said it is unfixable), we would like to find a similar model, or comparable replacement, either used or new.
Where is a good place to look for the best prices for both new and used windlasses?
Thanks for your help!
Cara

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
You might want to open this rather generic question to a wider audience than just the Bene forum.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
You are looking for a horizontal windlass that matches your load requirement (stated in lbs of pull), whether you want power up AND power down. You want a windlass with a gypsy that matches your current chain AND will handle a rope rode. Is your current windlass wiring rated for the amperage of the new windlass? Do you want foot controls? A corded remote control? Or a wireless remote control. There is NO magic answer here, you need to do your homework. Start by determining the load capacity of your current windlass and consider whether it is sufficient.

KD3PC

Sep 25, 2008
boatless rainbow Callao, VA
many motors are standard frame sizes and capacity, you might google the specs and see what comes up...just replacing the motor, not the entire windlass

defender or lofrans may have a source or can order it from the manufacturer.

Aug 2, 2018
You are looking for a horizontal windlass that matches your load requirement (stated in lbs of pull), whether you want power up AND power down. You want a windlass with a gypsy that matches your current chain AND will handle a rope rode. Is your current windlass wiring rated for the amperage of the new windlass? Do you want foot controls? A corded remote control? Or a wireless remote control. There is NO magic answer here, you need to do your homework. Start by determining the load capacity of your current windlass and consider whether it is sufficient.
Sorry to sound like a newbie, but where can i look up the load capacity and power amperage of my current windlass?
Thanks again for the help
Cara

Aug 2, 2018
Windlass Picture or model number would help.
The motor is a circa 2000 Leroy Somer. We have searched other forums for a replacement motor but none will fit inside the casing. Hence the need to buy a whole new windlass.
Thanks
Cara

Aug 2, 2018
Windlass Picture or model number would help.
I had some photos of the windlass but ...well...they went down with my phone to the bottom of the Atlantic yesterday while sailing lol

Aug 2, 2018
Why not have the motor re-wired if that's the problem
Well, the mechanic says the motor is unfixable. All I can do is trust the mechanic because I just don’t know!

KD3PC

Sep 25, 2008
boatless rainbow Callao, VA
Well, the mechanic says the motor is unfixable. All I can do is trust the mechanic because I just don’t know!
all motors are fixable...just need the parts, skill and tools to do so. A "mechanic" is not the best person to address this. You need an "automotive electrical shop" expert. It may not be cheap to redo the motor, but it can be done.

Easier to speak with any windlass maker, they will know which of their models will replace your model.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Ok this may be just showing off my new bling... But I suspect this would work on your boat.
Lewmar V3 windlass purchased from right here SBO. PM @Dave Groshong. They also have horizontal units with the same capability.
Rigged with 3/8 chain and 35lb anchor on my 35ft 16,000 lb displacement boat. Strong enough anchor system for your 40 ft Beneteau.

Took 3 days to install from scratch with the help of my buddy @LeslieTroyer. Likely less in your case as some of the equipment is already in place.
C3D701A8-600A-44CE-8A41-034E7887E7CB.jpeg

Aug 2, 2018
Ok this may be just showing off my new bling... But I suspect this would work on your boat.
Lewmar V3 windlass purchased from right here SBO. PM @Dave Groshong. They also have horizontal units with the same capability.
Rigged with 3/8 chain and 35lb anchor on my 35ft 16,000 lb displacement boat. Strong enough anchor system for your 40 ft Beneteau.

Took 3 days to install from scratch with the help of my buddy @LeslieTroyer. Likely less in your case as some of the equipment is already in place.
View attachment 155253
Please forgive my ignorance, but how does one find windlasses for purchase on this forum?
Thanks,
Cara

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Well heck you have it out, I'd try looking for a local automotive rebuild shop for electrical. Maybe you can call around first and ask can you rebuild a electric motor and then take to them.

Aug 2, 2018
Well heck you have it out, I'd try looking for a local automotive rebuild shop for electrical. Maybe you can call around first and ask can you rebuild a electric motor and then take to them.
I will most definitely bring that up to the captain