Where has this forum gone?? This was the Cruising World forum

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
Oh and Tom- the trash still get's picked on Weds :)
LOL a back story on that.

LONG, long ago, Tom used to post the Wednesday Photo day reminders. I told him it sure helped me because Weds was my trash pickup day, and his Photo day reminder kept me from forgetting So for a LONG time afterwards, Tom would post the Photo day reminder, and append --
Charlie- take out the trash :)

Apr 7, 2016
Beneteau First 305 Seward, Alaska
Well it is still winter here in the great north. I spent last weekend on the boat where I finished my battery and electrical wiring job, measured for making my dodger, and most of the way through a complete redo of my fresh water system. Not that exciting, but i should be putting the sails on in a few more weeks.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
when coastal cruising, how does thermal climb affect surface waves?

May 25, 2012
when all the components of the rig and the hull are all dialed in and set just right you can feel it in the ride anywhere on the boat.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
when coastal cruising, how does thermal climb affect surface waves?
That would be the thermocline, wouldn't it? And the waves would get warmer or colder depending on which way you are going and how fast the fishing boats are trolling.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
LOL a back story on that.

LONG, long ago, Tom used to post the Wednesday Photo day reminders. I told him it sure helped me because Weds was my trash pickup day, and his Photo day reminder kept me from forgetting So for a LONG time afterwards, Tom would post the Photo day reminder, and append --
Charlie- take out the trash :)
I remember that. But to give credit where it is due, it was Dave Gibson that started Wednesday is Photoday!! It was well on when I joined the forum. Dave had annual photo contests that Phil has continued.

I got in at the end of when Cruising World magazine supplied and moderated the forum. Back in those days, the forum was often dealing with a troubled character or two. Eventually a riot would ensue, Herb McCormick (still editor at CW), would have to ban somebody.

Once things settled down a new psycho would show up and the cycle would begin again. It was fun and often strange as well. There were lots of 'cruisers' then but mostly dreamers that wanted to cruise. Most never did.

Mar 1, 2012
Sure-I remember Dave. I was on the old CSBB for a long time. And as a moderator on the TSBB, I understand. But in all the years I've frequented that forum (Since 1993), we've had to ban 6 people. Folks are generally pretty decent, when they get an email explaining why we are upset.

We had 3 beautiful warm sunny spring days here, last three- equals the sunny days we had in February :( Hope you get sailing weather soon

May 25, 2012
OK OK "uncle": sharing sailing skills and opinions is taboo i'm thinking.
my trash goes out on wednesday in ohio and monday in sturge

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
thermocline acts as a false bottom that make the waves act as as those of a shallow sea. making them taller and steeper.
LOL - I never heard this before, or thought about it, but it makes sense.
Funny that this is off topic to this thread. ;)
As for the forum, not only has it become more civilized- we seem to have lost the snobbery that came from whether or not ones boat fit the description of “blue water cruiser“. Imho that’s a good thing.
I think the improvements in civilized behavior might come from the maturity of Social Media in general. People hiding behind a nom-deplume today are doing so knowing that they can be easily tracked (unless they use some anonymity methods such as TOR and a VPN), especially if they post often enough to create an online persona.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
As for the forum, not only has it become more civilized- we seem to have lost the snobbery that came from whether or not ones boat fit the description of “blue water cruiser“. Imho that’s a good thing.
If you want that kind of discussion, check out CruisersForum.com. There's lots of valuable information there is you're planning a world cruise, not so much if you're just sailing the Great Lakes or coast.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Well of course we love you Gene. What’s not to love? But to tell us we love you. :yikes:
Well that’s just self serving :poke:

But if you want love you can always try a bribe :beer:.

Just be careful where you do it in Florida.
“Patriots owner Robert Kraft is apologizing after being charged in Florida”:what:

Jun 3, 2010
Hunter 27-3 Erie
Guilty as Charged Charlie. I have not stopped in here in a very long time. Yes, we still have the Hunter although it has not left the dock except spring lift-in and fall haul-out since 2017. No, I still don't like the boat but I suppose never really gave it a chance.
Life happened. My wife has major back issues and can't safely be on a sailboat. In fact, has not been on the boat since the summer of 2017. She can barely walk these days. She also will not allow me to sell it so I'll start bottom painting and waxing in a few weeks.

The good news is that $700 Dometic frig/freezer I installed in 2017 does a fantastic job keeping the beer cold all summer so sitting on the boat having a cold one is still an option for me.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
sitting on the boat having a cold one is still an option for me.
Sounds like a great option. Sharing a beer with friends on the dock. Or just sipping a cold one and watching the marina folks stroll by. It is a great happy place.

Mar 1, 2012
Guilty as Charged Charlie. I have not stopped in here in a very long time. Yes, we still have the Hunter although it has not left the dock except spring lift-in and fall haul-out since 2017. No, I still don't like the boat but I suppose never really gave it a chance.
Life happened. My wife has major back issues and can't safely be on a sailboat. In fact, has not been on the boat since the summer of 2017. She can barely walk these days. She also will not allow me to sell it so I'll start bottom painting and waxing in a few weeks.

The good news is that $700 Dometic frig/freezer I installed in 2017 does a fantastic job keeping the beer cold all summer so sitting on the boat having a cold one is still an option for me.
Hey Craig- good to hear from you. Understand the back issues- still not completely over mine. Tell her best of luck

Apr 13, 2018
O'Day 19 Rexford, NY
I've been lurking for a while here... got aspirations, but not the boat. Heck, my day sailer still needs that crack in the hull fixed before she sees water.

Driving down to Long Island to pick up a twin keeled Tylercraft 24' that needs a couple years of work before I put her in the water. I'm giving myself five years, realistically. Then I'll be able to post about my exploits here. :laugh:

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT

Sorry to hear about the wife, Craig. Can you sail that boat single handed? If not maybe you can find some crew and untie the lines once in a while. Have a cold one for me. :)