Where does your SBO username come from???

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Often the most interesting places to explore on the Chesapeake involve... Thinwater.

My last cat (27') drew only 12", which made exploring the Virginia Inside Passage practical. My current cat draws a whopping 3'4"; still not bad, and there are always the kayaks and dingy.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Seadaddler

Seadaddler is the name of our boat and how we got the name is me and wife met in a ski club on LI,NY in 1990 called Skidaddler and saw that name on
a boat on LI sound once and so that is how we got our name.
When we go cruising all over Florida and some times we say our boat names to bridge tenders or Marina's or even other boaters there is a lot of confusion
and they say all kinds of names when they say it like skidoddle or ski doo.
Nick

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I really hope weedstomper and hummingbirdbassist will tell where their names come from. I know only from communicating with them. Great stories. Oh, weedstomper didn't tell me his. I figured it out from reading about him. Hummingbirdbassist has a very interesting story. I doubt he realizes just how interesting it will be to all who read it.

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
Ok, mine is fairly obvious I was born and raised in the land of fruits and nuts, but Quadrille how does this explain the name of your boat? <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JPrMGiGJdo">YouTube Link</a>

Well now that's a boat name question rather than an a SBO name question.

Quadrille is of Celtic origins and refers to a four partner dance.
Also used in the equestrian world to refer to a four cornered pattern.

We saw the name in an article referring to a famous racing boat by the same name and for several reasons it seemed to fit
We are both of Irish decent
There are 4 in our family
We spent many years supporting our youngest daughters equestrian interests
it is our 4th boat - as in its our fourth dance with a boat
we liked the sound of it and
it's not some tongue twister that is going to befuddle everyone who tries to hail you on the radio.

Jul 25, 2010
Cal 36 Newport, Oregon
Eastwind was my first boat, named after my father's favorite ship, the US CGC Eastwind. She was an ice breaker and he was a CPO aboard for an around the world cruise in 1960-61. It's tribute for both.

Bonzai

Jun 23, 2009
Chris-Craft SailYacht 35 St. Simon's Island, Ga.
Bonzai was my "river name" way back when I was a professional video kayaker for the rafting companies in West Virginia on Class V+ rivers. I never refused a job no matter the weather, water levels or rapid difficulty.

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
Mike: A salute in honor of your Chief Petty Officer and USCGC Eastwind! Happy Holidays, Chief

Nov 19, 2011
MacGregor 26S Hampton, VA
As it it weren't obvious, Tombstone was and still is one of my all time favorite movies. When Doc said "I'm your huckleberry" he was the coolest cat in the world. I also used to play a lot of online war games and that was the name I used there too.

Sep 16, 2013
Morgan Rolf Peterson Port Superior WI
Peter Bean is a combination of my last name and my wife's last name and easier for others (hostess) to pronounce or hear in a crowded noisy resteraunt. I just decided to become that guy one day, what the heck. I retire next year so who cares who I am? Lol. -- Rolf

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Pateco is short for Packard Technologies Company. Which is the original name of my company, now Packard Technologies Inc. I have used it as a username for most forums since I joined AOL back in 1993. I still have that AOL Username. but haven't checked my inbox there in years. Still an active AOL account so my mom can use her username. I cant get her to switch. LOL

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Like Jack, I used my real name, unless some of you think I'm a basketball coach!

I asked our skippers on our C34 forum pretty much the same question, only in reverse: "How come you DON'T use your real names?" Some of the replies, like: " 'Cuz I forgot what it was!" were fun. Interestingly enough, no one said because of "security" since most folks know your ISP will be the link regardless of what your"handle" may be.

I just like real names, although I understand some folks who use "nicknames" for business or other reasons.

I've also had the pleasure of meeting many, many folks from this forum who use "handles" and they've been kind enough to share their real names, and in many cases we've met in person or at least on the phone.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
Like Jack, I used my real name, unless some of you think I'm a basketball coach!

I asked our skippers on our C34 forum pretty much the same question, only in reverse: "How come you DON'T use your real names?" Some of the replies, like: " 'Cuz I forgot what it was!" were fun. Interestingly enough, no one said because of "security" since most folks know your ISP will be the link regardless of what your"handle" may be.

I just like real names, although I understand some folks who use "nicknames" for business or other reasons.

I've also had the pleasure of meeting many, many folks from this forum who use "handles" and they've been kind enough to share their real names, and in many cases we've met in person or at least on the phone.
there is no particular reason that I actively use my nickname as my username everywhere, but ive been using it for so long it seems normal and natural. im surly not afraid to share my given name, but the little bit of mystery or wonderment that a nickname allows can be a bit entertaining sometimes.... such as this thread could never have come into existence if we all used our real names..... unless someone wants to know why our folks gave us such a name:D....

in the bio section, there is a place for "other names".... Ive never been sure if this is meant for other names associated with us (wife, kids, ect.), or for other names we use, for other boats we own, or for declaring our real names.... its quite a bit less entertaining and some what more of a mystery to me than where some of these usernames came from;)

another thread is, "how did your boat happen to come by its name"..... which is something that has always interested me since I was a little kid.. :D

Jan 22, 2008
Gulf 29 Little Current, ON
BTW, how can I change my username? I see how to change my password in the profile menu, but not username. [mine was assigned]

Sep 9, 2012
Hunter Legend 35.5 Trenton, ON
I am a retired airline pilot and was the Assistant Chief Pilot for Zoom Airlines based out of Ottawa where we flew Boeing 767ER-300 aircraft.

Like a previous poster, I also named my boat after my horse -- a 1500 pound Clydesdale/Hackney -- King Arthur.

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
For those of you who know that my last name is CASH: Yes, Johnnie Cash was my second cousin. His grandfather and mine were brothers.
Happy Holidays! Jim Cash

Jul 8, 2004
Hunter 33.5 Portsmouth VA
It’s simple. I like to sail. My home sailing area is the Chesapeake Bay…CBSailor.

Jun 28, 2014
Com Pac 16 II N. Myrtle Beach, SC
I think mine is pretty easy. Wanted something that my 70 year old brain could remember. lol Might not work if I move.