Where do you Sleep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 24, 2009
Catalina 310 Sturgeon Bay, WI
I have a question of general interest, mostly brought up by my wife. :stirthepot: The 310 is reported to be designed as a couple’s boat, and the layout would make it seem perfect for that. But when it is time to sleep do you find yourself in the front owners cabin, with the nice mattress, or back in the cave with all the room. For some reason the 1st mate seems to think the front area is too small, and always heads for the cave, wanted to find out if others find the front bunk great in theory, but not so great in normal use. :naughty: PS: she does invite me along, so she is not running away :D

gpd955

Feb 22, 2006
Catalina 310 Cape May, NJ
V-berth with the comfy mattress. Plenty of room for us (5'9, 210 and 5'7, 150). Our first mate takes the quarter berth.

It was a welcome change from the standard v-berth cushions.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 310 Scott Creek, VA
Forward stateroom, and to add to the debate, we sleep with our feet forward.

curlew

Mar 12, 2011
catalina 310 charlottes cove tasmania
Love to hear the story paul j. we sleep feet aft.
cheers curlew

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Definitely the V-berth. We are living aboard, and find the forward cabin very cozy and comfortable, and the ventilation is excellant. Besides, the aft cabin is used mostly for storage in our situation.

Aug 24, 2009
It is nice to see responces on such a simple question. Even if it did spark the great feet in / feet out debate. (have to try that on a hot night, feet in?) thanks to all that posted so far. Russ s/v Long Story

Aug 17, 2010
Catalina 310 Lake Pueblo
The owners cabin/V-berth, works well for us. Slept in the cave on the C250, the 310 V-berth is sooo much nicer.
When you sleep feet forward how do you keep the pillows from falling off the bed?

Jun 30, 2010
Catalina 310 Bristol RI
Always in the V berth, the garage has too much stuff in it now.
And always feet forward. We are on a mooring. Open the hatch and the breeze is always coming our way. Sometimes need a blanket even in August.
Yes, every once in a while I find my pillow on the floor in the middle of the night and it is a long way down, but does not happen often.

njsail

Feb 18, 2010
Bavaria Ocean 40 CC Forked River
We have a center cockpit so the aft cabin is our favorite place to sleep. There are two small ultra leather couches on each side for the dogs.....often damp salty dogs.
The kids have the forward berth. I suggest which side to sleep on so when I hoist sail and get underway in the morning sleep isn't interrupted. Of course that's after coffee, breakfast and a quick swim to wash up. I almost forgot....add wet dogs.
This was a simple but interesting question. I know a lot of people who sleep in the main salon but haven't seen that answer show up in this thread yet.

Aug 24, 2009
Good responce - the reason you have not see any main salon responces is that, we were discussing the Catalina 310 and it's layout. There is no suitable place in the main area to sleep, nothing becomes a bunk of any kind in that area, though I have often thought with a little simple modification the L-shaped could be a small bunk - but to small for a couple. Thank you for the input!

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Good responce - the reason you have not see any main salon responces is that, we were discussing the Catalina 310 and it's layout. There is no suitable place in the main area to sleep, nothing becomes a bunk of any kind in that area, though I have often thought with a little simple modification the L-shaped could be a small bunk - but to small for a couple. Thank you for the input!
Not true, at least with our 2001, comes with a stubby table poll and a cushion that fits on top of the large table, turns into a very nice berth for 2.

CCHer

Jul 7, 2010
Beneteau 37 Cranes Creek, VA
Have to chime in: With the 310 it is defintely the forward berth-great mattress. However when I lived aboard my old Pelle Petterson on the Occaquan-down river from DC-my bedroom was the starboard settee which made into a double-kept that made up as a bed. The port side settee (separated from the starboard bunk by a drop leaf table with the engine compartment beneath) was my living room. The forward v-berth cabin was my walk in closet and the stern cabin was storage. Talk about a lifestle change from a 3000 sq ft house, but wouldn't trade the experience for anything unless of course I was still happily married at the time.:)

May 3, 2008
Catalina 310 Catawba Island
We put the grand kids or guests in the aft cabin. We are always in the V-birth. No one complains and we have plenty of 12v fans for everyone when it is hot.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Even if it did spark the great feet in / feet out debate. (have to try that on a hot night, feet in?)
Gotta admit that I read ALL of the 29 pages of posts, and can't find the GREAT DEBATE, unless it was in an offline List kinda discussion.

The skinny end is the bow, where feet belong. My shoulders are somewhat larger than my feet, least they used to be! :dance:

We also call our aft cabin our "garage" as do most C34-ers. But there are still some who sleep there.

Aug 24, 2009
Oh, my dear C-34 owner. (and I use to own a C-34 where the main cabin was a great place to sleep with that table down and queen size pit.) But in the C-310 it is not a V-berth, and there is not a skinny end. In fact the end at the bow is about as wide as the end towards the cabin door. (with a wider part in the middle) check out a layout of the 310, you can sort of see the debate. (I liked the C-34 because you had a door that closed off the aft cabin to the rest of the boat, great feature)

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Not true, at least with our 2001, comes with a stubby table poll and a cushion that fits on top of the large table, turns into a very nice berth for 2.
Witz,

Any chance you could post some pics. We have a 2001 and it didn't have a anyway to change that L to a birth.

Thanks,

JK

Status
Not open for further replies.