Where can I get a PDF of Chapmans?

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
Anybody know where I can download a PDF copy of the current Chapman's Piloting Book? All the sites the I find when I Google it look a bit "hinky" to me. Maybe I'm just paranoid but I would certainly feel more comfortable if I was going to a publisher or traditional bookstore site rather than www.whotheherckknowswhatsontheotherend.com

Goal is to have a PDF reference copy on my laptop rather than tote around the 10 pound book.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Anybody know where I can download a PDF copy of the current Chapman's Piloting Book? All the sites the I find when I Google it look a bit "hinky" to me. Maybe I'm just paranoid but I would certainly feel more comfortable if I was going to a publisher or traditional bookstore site rather than www.whotheherckknowswhatsontheotherend.com

Goal is to have a PDF reference copy on my laptop rather than tote around the 10 pound book.
You can buy a Kindle version of Chapman's and the Kindle app is free for phones, tablets, and computers.

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY

Do you have a Kindle, iTunes, or ebooks app? You’ll most likely not find a PDF format and certainly not for free. Try Amazon ebooks and search for Chapman Piloting.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
You can buy a Kindle version of Chapman's and the Kindle app is free for phones, tablets, and computers.
Does this then reside on my laptop or do I have to have internet access to view it later on? Planning an offshore trip and will not have any access to internet or cell phone service.

Also want to do the same with Bowditch Vol 1 and 2

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
Yes, yours to own and read forever, or until the hard drive crashes...but you will need to load the Kindle App.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
read forever, or until the hard drive crashes.
When you buy the Kindle version you can save it on several kindle identified laptops, pc’s or phones. You can keep the book in the Kindle Cloud. If you hard drive crashes you just get a new one and down load from the cloud to your new Kindle device.

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
I have the 10 pound (at least) book....no pdf unfortunately.....Patrick

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Where are you taking me? Patrick

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
I believe there is software that will convert Kindle format to PDF if you really want it in PDF. But... stay off the cloud. Nothing but trouble awaits you there. JMOH

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Also want to do the same with Bowditch Vol 1 and 2
I think you can download Bowditch... I'm on my phone, will have to look when I get to my computer.

dj

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Got them both. Thanks. But, can't figure out how to get it to a PDF. Can't locate where it's stored on the PC or it's format.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Got them both. Thanks. But, can't figure out how to get it to a PDF. Can't locate where it's stored on the PC or it's format.
Kindle doesn't export to PDF. It's designed to protect copyrights and publishers $

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
If you purchased the Kindle version, the Kindle application has a place where it stores the downloaded document. It's possible to find out where on a Mac or PC that file actually resides, but it wouldn't do you any good to know. The reason is that Kindle books have digital rights management on them (DRM) preventing you from making copies to give to whomever. Also, it would only be able to open in a Kindle app, and only when that app is logged into the purchasing Amazon account. In general, a Kindle app would be able to open a PDF, but not the other way around, say, Adobe Acrobat Reader or Apple Preview opening a Kindle file.

I, for one, would rather have the book version of reference material, because I'm old skool, and I can find material looking at a table of contents or index and flipping physical pages rapidly. A PDF or Kindle book? Notosmuch. Also, I can hold fingers in different sections and flip back and forth easily, but again, notsomuch on a digital version. Mind you, I'm a computer guy, and I'm not a total Luddite, but to me books are better. That being said, I do read A LOT of Kindle books, and I find that the Kindle is ok for going sequentially. My problem is reading things with like maps: there could be a map at the beginning of the book or chapter, and I'd dearly love to flip back and look at the map as I read (imagine a non-fiction war book) but I just can't do it on the Kindle without being lost.

Jun 1, 2018
Hunter 23 Brookeville Lake, IN
If you have a Android phone/tablet or a Apple iPhone or iPad you can download the Kindle app. You just log in with your Amazon account and you will see all the books you ever purchased. You need to select the book you wish to download to that device. For this you will need to be using wi-fi or cellular data. Once it is downloaded to the device it will be there to view without being connected to internet or cell service. Side note, if you have the Kindle app on multiple devices you can have this stored on all of them should a battery die in one.

There is also a actual Kindle app available for computers. I have a Apple computer and it is in the App Store. I am sure Windows has the same.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
I won't post any links for "Kindle to PDF converter" but if you do a google or yahoo or bing or what-ever-the-lates-new-fangled-search-engine is, you should be able to find a host of links for "Kindle to PDF converter" software. Just be careful when you download and install that you do not install any "extras" that come with the software. And, above all, scan each download with a antivirus program of your liking.

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
We took ours to the lake...is on our boat if you want or need it....Pat