When to shut down the Iron Genny

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Yesterday, we headed out for the first race of the season, as approaching the starting area (about a mile out or so) I idled the engine and launched the sails. I hailed the committee boat to state my intentions of which they acknowledged. The committee announced a delay of about an hour to the start #1 due to the lack of wind (and it was dead). I decided at the that point why not just sail/float toward the line, well an hour passed and we were probably further away that when we first launched the sails.
My question and I have looked through the rules and can't seem to find anything which addressed this, could I have restarted the engine and powered to a point closer to the line for our start #3? if so what are the limitations to doing this? how close could I have got - 300 yds? Which RRS addresses this?

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Yes you can. The engine must be shut off or in neutral at your Warning signal. That is when they raise the class flag and signal one horn. Remember that there is a sound signal when the AP (Postpone flag) is taken down. Depending on SI's it can be one, or maybe two to the first Warning. And if you're not the first class starting, you may have more time before you have to shut off the motor. In light to nonexistent air you want to stay near the line but you want to be able to get away from the line to not interfere with other classes starting - and in particular in very light air not disturb their air. Note: I answer questions like this without reference to RRS to see if I can get the correct answer - sort of a self test. It can be confusing enough at a start, there isn't time to refer to RRS.
Look up definition of Racing in RRS

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Yes you can. The engine must be shut off or in neutral at your Warning signal. That is when they raise the class flag and signal one horn. Remember that there is a sound signal when the AP (Postpone flag) is taken down. Depending on SI's it can be one, or maybe two to the first Warning. And if you're not the first class starting, you may have more time before you have to shut off the motor. In light to nonexistent air you want to stay near the line but you want to be able to get away from the line to not interfere with other classes starting - and in particular in very light air not disturb their air. Note: I answer questions like this without reference to RRS to see if I can get the correct answer - sort of a self test. It can be confusing enough at a start, there isn't time to refer to RRS.
Look up definition of Racing in RRS
So close. Exactly right that you can't use propulsion while you're racing, so that's the key definition. The only thing is that racing is defined as starting at the preparatory signal (generally 4 minutes), not the Warning signal (generally 5 minutes).

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Thanks for the clarity gents it's appreciated, will certainly know the next time.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I don't think the document Jackdaw posted mentions one other exception, a boat may use any means of propulsion to assist a boat or person in danger.
While the point you make is very true, you are not granted an exception for that. In all cases you must log your position and time you start the motor (but don't let that slow you down), and after aid has been rendered, return to that spot and kill the motor, log the time and resume racing. You will need to file for redress... the PC will normally ask the scorer to adjust time.

Last edited: