When to change standing rigging

Dec 13, 2006
Hey there !

This is another video clip of our first overnight on our Vega. We spent three days on the boat and sailed around the various Islands of Casco Bay. Our girls are ages 3 and 10 months, and my son (not present this overnight) is 14. Despite the tight quarters, we love the simplicity of the Vega design, its light and airy cabin space, and her sailing qualities...we love our little boat even though while she floats in the harbor my wallet is slowly sinking to the bottom of the Ocean!!! :)

Enjoy!

Chris

Dec 13, 2006
Oh...Emma (3) is the story teller...and Elizabeth (10 months) is the vocal one that is busy crawling into the cockpit! :)

My wife Kerin is taking the video!

Chris Graham albinvega1865@... wrote: Hey there !

This is another video clip of our first overnight on our Vega. We spent three days on the boat and sailed around the various Islands of Casco Bay. Our girls are ages 3 and 10 months, and my son (not present this overnight) is 14. Despite the tight quarters, we love the simplicity of the Vega design, its light and airy cabin space, and her sailing qualities...we love our little boat even though while she floats in the harbor my wallet is slowly sinking to the bottom of the Ocean!!! :)

Enjoy!

Video by Chris Graham

Chris

Nov 13, 2006
Many thanks Chris for sharing you first overnight and the video clips of
your charming family with us. Got us thinking about the thousands of
Vegas still out there that have provided many many hours of the same joy
all over the world.

We will try to post some clips of our first trips around the West Coast
of Scotland this year. Maybe others could do likewise? I presume our
forum doesn't only have to be about techie stuff?

with regards

John & Carol
Lyra V1364

Nov 13, 2006
Hi

This is a video clip of our first trip to the Isle of Arran, West Coast
of Scotland - we hope you enjoy the scenery. We know it's not clever to
allow the kids to sleep on the foredeck, but its not very often we get
balmy days in Scotland, got to make the most of it while it lasts :)

John & Carol
Lyra V1364

John Hopkins's Library
100_0665.flv &current=100_0665.flv

Nov 8, 2001
Hi All

Please note that the IFR2008 Perliminary Form is now ready for download in either PDF or Word format.

www.albinvega.co.uk Follow the link on the opening page

This will be held between 30th June - 5th July 2008 at the Royal Harwich Yacht Club on the River Orwell

Cheers

Steve Birch (Admin - IFR2008)

Dec 13, 2006
John and Carol,

thanks so much for the video clip...it is beautiful over there! I don't know about you, but I find myself playing these clips over and over again...I guess to fill that void now that the boat is on the hard. It isn't sailing, but it is the next best thing to it I suppose.

I love the kids sleeping on the bow!!!! :) Great footage....

Chris
V#1865

John Hopkins john@... wrote: Hi

This is a video clip of our first trip to the Isle of Arran, West Coast
of Scotland - we hope you enjoy the scenery. We know it's not clever to
allow the kids to sleep on the foredeck, but its not very often we get
balmy days in Scotland, got to make the most of it while it lasts :)

John & Carol
Lyra V1364

John Hopkins's Library
John Hopkins's Library
100_0665.flv &current=100_0665.flv

Jul 6, 2007
Hi All,

Thanks guys for the sharing of the video, it does
provide encouragement for the winter months.

Sadly I dont have video but got some pictures from a
trip we did in July (from the Isle of White through
the Channel Islands to Cammarett on the edge of the
Bay of Biscay).

It was meant to be warm and sunny but was wet and
windy; nevertheless it was a lot of fun!

Cheers

Roger
____________________________________________________________________________________
Be a better pen pal.
Text or chat with friends inside Yahoo! Mail. See how. Yahoo Mail

Dec 13, 2006
Roger,

These pictures are great. We do a lot of writing and talking on this list, I guess it is fair to say:

#1.) We actually DO sail these boats
#2.) a picture truly is worth a 1000 words!

Thanks for the slideshow!
Chris

Roger Fairest rogerefairest@... wrote:
Hi All,

Thanks guys for the sharing of the video, it does
provide encouragement for the winter months.

Sadly I dont have video but got some pictures from a
trip we did in July (from the Isle of White through
the Channel Islands to Cammarett on the edge of the
Bay of Biscay).

It was meant to be warm and sunny but was wet and
windy; nevertheless it was a lot of fun!

Cheers

Roger

May 1, 2007
Chris,

Thanks for writing me back about New Hampshire. It sounds wonderful. It is funny to read all these Vega letters and to be so different in Texas. The weather is now just about right for spending time on the boat without A/C or Heat. I am in the begining stages of a complete rebuild of my Vega. Anyway thanks for the pictures and mabey someday we can sail together. Andi

Chris Graham albinvega1865@... wrote:
Hi Harold!

We are in North Conway, New Hampshire. We live about 20 minutes from Mount Washington (the largest mountain in the Presidential Range). We moved here several years ago to Rock and Ice Climb, camp, hike, mountain bike, back country ski (tele-mark) etc... It is truly an adrenaline junkies playground!!! :)

I have never been to the White Mountains of AZ, but I bet that they are beautiful! We have about 3-4' of snow on top of Mt. Washington. You can see the conditions here:

www.mountwashington.org/

Going rock climbing today, but I do miss the boat!!!
Cheers
Chris

Harold Anderson papasbackhoeinc@... wrote: Hi Chris,
Chris where are your white mountains located? I used to spend summers in the white mountains of Arizona. Thanks Andi

I am jealous that you are still out there Wilhelm! We received about 10-13" of snow yesterday here in the White Mountains! Not very good sailing weather.

So glad to hear that you are doing better!
Fair Winds
Chris

WL wxt8981@... wrote: Hi Chris;
I guess I'm about as good again as I can hope at my age; anyway, yesterday I was out sailing and the wind was blowing, almost enough to put in a reef- but I didn't, I loved it.
Thanks for caring.... Wilhelm, V-257

Chris Graham albinvega1865@... wrote: We knew what you meant Wilhelm! :)
No poopoo taken!!!

How have you been feeling Wilhelm? Are you back to full strength?

Chris

WL wxt8981@... wrote: I think I made a poopoo....I ment to say "I have to reef the MAINSAIL maybe....."
sorry
Wilhelm, V-257

WL wxt8981@... wrote: Hi all;
I sail my Vega single handed about 99%- I have to reef the foresail maybe once a year (I have the boat some 30 years). I never
had problems with the boom not turning. It's not the best system, but I can do it alone. There never was a problem with the hanks taking off the mast. I guess jiffy rigging is better (from a saing standpoint), but I stay with roller reefing.
When in need, I first reef the main, then change to the stormjib, and when the wind blows too much, I start the engine- just to be safe (at that point it always becomes a matter of survival). One word of caution: reef soon enough, it gets harder and harder when the wind gets stronger. It's always easier to put the sails on, but it's a lot harder to take them down when the wind blows.
Wilhelm. V-257

Larry Bissell albinvega1493@... wrote: Frank,

Any picks of your reefing arrangement with blocks? Thanks.

Larry

Oct 31, 2019
Hi Chris, Herald;

looks like I'm just in the middle of you when it comes to weather and sailing. I'm in Miami FL, the best sailing weather is now- fewer thunderstorm, fewer mosquitoes, and not as hot and humid. It only gets ugly when a cold front comes from the North. Then the wind blows and it can get rough outside.
Sometimes I miss Winter, snow, a cold hind end. I used to be in the ski patrol, I have an advanced ski instructor's license, and I was a member of the Austrian Ski Team (Long time ago, though!) Now I just look at the snow- on television. Sailing keeps me going- I'm over 80....hehehehehe

Happy Thanksgiving.... Wilhelm, V-257

Harold Anderson papasbackhoeinc@... wrote: Chris,

Thanks for writing me back about New Hampshire. It sounds wonderful. It is funny to read all these Vega letters and to be so different in Texas. The weather is now just about right for spending time on the boat without A/C or Heat. I am in the begining stages of a complete rebuild of my Vega. Anyway thanks for the pictures and mabey someday we can sail together. Andi

Hi Harold!

We are in North Conway, New Hampshire. We live about 20 minutes from Mount Washington (the largest mountain in the Presidential Range). We moved here several years ago to Rock and Ice Climb, camp, hike, mountain bike, back country ski (tele-mark) etc... It is truly an adrenaline junkies playground!!! :)

I have never been to the White Mountains of AZ, but I bet that they are beautiful! We have about 3-4' of snow on top of Mt. Washington. You can see the conditions here:

www.mountwashington.org/

Cheers
Chris

Chris where are your white mountains located? I used to spend summers in the white mountains of Arizona. Thanks Andi

I am jealous that you are still out there Wilhelm! We received about 10-13" of snow yesterday here in the White Mountains! Not very good sailing weather.

Fair Winds
Chris

Dec 13, 2006
No problem Andi!

i am jealous that you are still out there! It is snowing to beat the band outside right now as we are anticipating another 2"- 4". Time to break out the ice tools and head for the mountains for me...

PS - A sail togther would be great someday! Once we get this craft fully outfitted, that could be a very good possibility!

Cheers
Chris

Harold Anderson papasbackhoeinc@... wrote:
Chris,

Hi Harold!

www.mountwashington.org/

Cheers
Chris

Fair Winds
Chris

I guess I'm about as good again as I can hope at my age; anyway, yesterday I was out sailing and the wind was blowing, almost enough to put in a reef- but I didn't, I loved it.

No poopoo taken!!!

Chris

WL wxt8981@... wrote: I think I made a poopoo....I ment to say "I have to reef the MAINSAIL maybe....."
sorry
Wilhelm, V-257

I sail my Vega single handed about 99%- I have to reef the foresail maybe once a year (I have the boat some 30 years). I never
had problems with the boom not turning. It's not the best system, but I can do it alone. There never was a problem with the hanks taking off the mast. I guess jiffy rigging is better (from a saing standpoint), but I stay with roller reefing.
When in need, I first reef the main, then change to the stormjib, and when the wind blows too much, I start the engine- just to be safe (at that point it always becomes a matter of survival). One word of caution: reef soon enough, it gets harder and harder when the wind gets stronger. It's always easier to put the sails on, but it's a lot harder to take them down when the wind blows.
Wilhelm. V-257

Larry

Dec 13, 2006
Hi Wilhelm,

Miami would be just what the Dr. ordered Wilhem! The seasonal changes here are truly beautiful, but I am growing tired of raking leaves, splitting and stacking wood, getting up every few hours to stoke the fire, icy and snowy roads, snowblowing and shoveling the driveway at 5:00AM so we can get off to work...

I have only gone around the sun 42 times, but I have lived in New England all my life...this stuff gets old!!!! (smile)

I do love to ski and ice climb, so for now, that is what keeps me going when the boat is fast asleep in its cradle! I went skiing in Austria for about three weeks back in 1987 and had a blast. We stayed in Old Innsbruck...lovely country and people. The skiing was fantastic!!!

Chris

WL wxt8981@... wrote:
Hi Chris, Herald;

looks like I'm just in the middle of you when it comes to weather and sailing. I'm in Miami FL, the best sailing weather is now- fewer thunderstorm, fewer mosquitoes, and not as hot and humid. It only gets ugly when a cold front comes from the North. Then the wind blows and it can get rough outside.
Sometimes I miss Winter, snow, a cold hind end. I used to be in the ski patrol, I have an advanced ski instructor's license, and I was a member of the Austrian Ski Team (Long time ago, though!) Now I just look at the snow- on television. Sailing keeps me going- I'm over 80....hehehehehe

Hi Harold!

www.mountwashington.org/

Cheers
Chris

Fair Winds
Chris

Oct 31, 2019
Hi Chris;

I guess Fall is a beautiful season, though I haven't seen the change in seasons lately- I left Austria in 1953 and worked in North and South Africa, and South-East Asia, places with palm trees, where all seasons are pretty well alike. Since I'm retired, I live in Florida- and yes- there are again mostly palm trees. I'm not really retired, I'm helping students (mostly from South-East Asia) to get their doctoral degrees. I do it for free- these students are children from doctors and engineers I used to lecture.

I skied in Innsbruck- long before 1953- and I participated in the Hannenkamm downhill competition, but didn't finish- I had a horrendous fall but nothing broken (maybe my spirits). That was the time when we used to have the "Kandahar bindings, and strapped seal-skins on the skies to get up the hill (there were no lifts).

Sailing is now my sport, and the Vega my best companion. My eye-sight isn't too good any more, guess that's why I fell 3 times when getting off the boat and managed braking 2 rips every time. Actually, once I broke only 1 rip. But hurts the same.

Should you ever come to Miami, please give me a call- maybe we can go sailing. (cell) 305-323-2034

Wilhelm, V-257

Chris Graham albinvega1865@... wrote: Hi Wilhelm,

Miami would be just what the Dr. ordered Wilhem! The seasonal changes here are truly beautiful, but I am growing tired of raking leaves, splitting and stacking wood, getting up every few hours to stoke the fire, icy and snowy roads, snowblowing and shoveling the driveway at 5:00AM so we can get off to work...

I have only gone around the sun 42 times, but I have lived in New England all my life...this stuff gets old!!!! (smile)

I do love to ski and ice climb, so for now, that is what keeps me going when the boat is fast asleep in its cradle! I went skiing in Austria for about three weeks back in 1987 and had a blast. We stayed in Old Innsbruck...lovely country and people. The skiing was fantastic!!!

Chris

WL wxt8981@... wrote:
Hi Chris, Herald;

Hi Harold!

www.mountwashington.org/

Cheers
Chris

Fair Winds
Chris

Dec 13, 2006
I definitely will Wilhelm!

My parents just sold their homes in Revera Beach (sp?) and North Palm, and are now living in Summerfield near Ocala. They love it out there! We visit regularly, so next time I am down there, I will take you up on your offer. You are most gracious!

Chris

I guess Fall is a beautiful season, though I haven't seen the change in seasons lately- I left Austria in 1953 and worked in North and South Africa, and South-East Asia, places with palm trees, where all seasons are pretty well alike. Since I'm retired, I live in Florida- and yes- there are again mostly palm trees. I'm not really retired, I'm helping students (mostly from South-East Asia) to get their doctoral degrees. I do it for free- these students are children from doctors and engineers I used to lecture.

I skied in Innsbruck- long before 1953- and I participated in the Hannenkamm downhill competition, but didn't finish- I had a horrendous fall but nothing broken (maybe my spirits). That was the time when we used to have the "Kandahar bindings, and strapped seal-skins on the skies to get up the hill (there were no lifts).

Sailing is now my sport, and the Vega my best companion. My eye-sight isn't too good any more, guess that's why I fell 3 times when getting off the boat and managed braking 2 rips every time. Actually, once I broke only 1 rip. But hurts the same.

Should you ever come to Miami, please give me a call- maybe we can go sailing. (cell) 305-323-2034

Wilhelm, V-257

Chris Graham albinvega1865@... wrote: Hi Wilhelm,

Chris

WL wxt8981@... wrote:
Hi Chris, Herald;

Hi Harold!

www.mountwashington.org/

Cheers
Chris

Fair Winds
Chris

May 1, 2007
Chris,

A sail would be great. My wife and I are planning extended voyages around the US in a couple of years. Mabey we can meet up. Andi

No problem Andi!

i am jealous that you are still out there! It is snowing to beat the band outside right now as we are anticipating another 2"- 4". Time to break out the ice tools and head for the mountains for me...

PS - A sail togther would be great someday! Once we get this craft fully outfitted, that could be a very good possibility!

Cheers
Chris

Chris,

Hi Harold!

www.mountwashington.org/

Cheers
Chris

Fair Winds
Chris

No poopoo taken!!!

Chris

sorry
Wilhelm, V-257

Wilhelm. V-257

Larry

Dec 13, 2006
Count on it Andi! :)

Chris

Chris,

A sail would be great. My wife and I are planning extended voyages around the US in a couple of years. Mabey we can meet up. Andi

No problem Andi!

Cheers
Chris

Chris,

Hi Harold!

www.mountwashington.org/

Cheers
Chris

Fair Winds
Chris

No poopoo taken!!!

Chris

sorry
Wilhelm, V-257

Wilhelm. V-257

Larry

Apr 28, 2000
You know, don't you, that We would very much like to publish any of
your Vega voyages on the AVA Web site? I need specific permission, of
course, in an email, with a narrative, brief or lengthy and some
photos or even video. We will put them in the "Voyages" section which
could really use some fresh material by someone other than yours
truly. d;^)

Aloha,

Chuck Rose
SV Lealea, V1860
Honolulu (Which is much warmer today than where I am)

Dec 13, 2006
Consider it done Chuck! :)
Chris

Chuck Rose vega1860@... wrote: You know, don't you, that We would very much like to publish any of
your Vega voyages on the AVA Web site? I need specific permission, of
course, in an email, with a narrative, brief or lengthy and some
photos or even video. We will put them in the "Voyages" section which
could really use some fresh material by someone other than yours
truly. d;^)

Aloha,

Chuck Rose
SV Lealea, V1860
Honolulu (Which is much warmer today than where I am)

Aug 29, 2000
Dear Frank & Tena -

I am about to install the Strong Sail Track on my Vega. Do you have any recommendations or cautions as I embark on this?

Thanks so much,
DrusieDrusie Sheldon

"Spindrift", Vega 1879

Saunderstown, RI
To: AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 13:40:35 -0500
Subject: Re: [AlbinVega] boom furler

Dear Chris,
???? We used the boom furling once only. The problem is that as you furl the sail you have to pull all of the sail slugs at the luff out of that little door at the bottom of the mast, and then put them all back in when you shake out the reef. I am primarily interested in a boat that can be singlehanded ?from the cockpit. We have installed a Strong brand mainsail?track and jiffy reefing led to the cockpit. instead of running the reefing lines through the cringles we used blocks at the cringles for less friction. Everything works perfectly in the real world out on the water.

??????????????????????? Hope this helps,

??????????????????? Frank & Tena DeBaggis

?????????????????? ?Carpe Diem, Vega 2141