When to change standing rigging

Nov 8, 2001
Hi Roger

I know you are safe, you travel further than most and hats off!

Hope to be in Ryde next week if you are about.

Cheers

Steve B

Dec 13, 2006
OK,

The boat has been hauled, she is up on the cradle, and I managed to get through the season without hitting any rocks!!!! All is well...

Now, I have a laundry list of items that need tending to as I am sure you all do at this point in time. One question that I have is with regard to the boom furling. My boom has siezed up and has apparently been that way for some years. The PO said that he never played with it and just reefed with a kind of jerry rig and that seemed to be fine for him.

Question:

Has anyone had this problem with their system? What would cause this to seize? Is it possible to fix, and is this something that is just best left alone? I have considered setting up the lines for the jiffy reefing, but boy...wouldn't it be easier just to crank that thing down when the weather turns spicy. I didn't know if this system had a life limit...of which mine has passed, or if this could be resurrected and useful for the single handed sailor that I seem to have become!!! Most of my crew is along for the scenery and the laughs!!!!

Any help or suggestions would be great!
hope you all are well
Chris

Oct 30, 2019
Dear Chris,

???? We used the boom furling once only. The problem is that as you furl the sail you have to pull all of the sail slugs at the luff out of that little door at the bottom of the mast, and then put them all back in when you shake out the reef. I am primarily interested in a boat that can be singlehanded ?from the cockpit. We have installed a Strong brand mainsail?track and jiffy reefing led to the cockpit. instead of running the reefing lines through the cringles we used blocks at the cringles for less friction. Everything works perfectly in the real world out on the water.
??????????????????????? Hope this helps,
??????????????????? Frank & Tena DeBaggis
?????????????????? ?Carpe Diem, Vega 2141

Dec 13, 2006
Hi Frank,

I never even considered that fact..the slugs would be a huge problem wouldn't they? I have rigged a "semi-jiffy system", but would like to have everything run back as well. Would you have any pictures of the system that you have created on your boat? There are a few in the files folder, but the more info the better. Everyone has interesting ideas and ways of problem solving...I am just trying to figure out what might be best for me.

Many Thanks Frank!
Chris

FDEBAGGIS@... wrote:

Dear Chris,

???? We used the boom furling once only. The problem is that as you furl the sail you have to pull all of the sail slugs at the luff out of that little door at the bottom of the mast, and then put them all back in when you shake out the reef. I am primarily interested in a boat that can be singlehanded ?from the cockpit. We have installed a Strong brand mainsail?track and jiffy reefing led to the cockpit. instead of running the reefing lines through the cringles we used blocks at the cringles for less friction. Everything works perfectly in the real world out on the water.
??????????????????????? Hope this helps,
??????????????????? Frank & Tena DeBaggis
?????????????????? ?Carpe Diem, Vega 2141

Dec 15, 2006
Hi Chris,

Mine was siezed up too. I had the boom all apart and when I did
that, I heated up the gearbox assembly at the gooseneck with a torch
to get the old dried up grease to run out, then I took out the oil
screw and put in a grease fitting to lube the gears. Works fine now.

Larry

Oct 30, 2019
Hello Everyone,

???? I don't have any pictures and I stripped the sails off last Monday; we are hauling the boat out for the winter next Tuesday. I can do a drawing, 'though, if anyone would like that. It may take a while. The drawing would be the easy part. Scanning it any getting it out takes help from my more computer literate wife or completely computer literate kids.
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? Thanks everyone,
??????????????????????????????????????????????????? Frank DeBaggis

Dec 13, 2006
Drawings would be great Frank! If it isn't too much trouble that is...
Chris

FDEBAGGIS@... wrote:
Hello Everyone,

???? I don't have any pictures and I stripped the sails off last Monday; we are hauling the boat out for the winter next Tuesday. I can do a drawing, 'though, if anyone would like that. It may take a while. The drawing would be the easy part. Scanning it any getting it out takes help from my more computer literate wife or completely computer literate kids.
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? Thanks everyone,
??????????????????????????????????????????????????? Frank DeBaggis

Oct 31, 2019
Hi all;
I sail my Vega single handed about 99%- I have to reef the foresail maybe once a year (I have the boat some 30 years). I never
had problems with the boom not turning. It's not the best system, but I can do it alone. There never was a problem with the hanks taking off the mast. I guess jiffy rigging is better (from a saing standpoint), but I stay with roller reefing.
When in need, I first reef the main, then change to the stormjib, and when the wind blows too much, I start the engine- just to be safe (at that point it always becomes a matter of survival). One word of caution: reef soon enough, it gets harder and harder when the wind gets stronger. It's always easier to put the sails on, but it's a lot harder to take them down when the wind blows.
Wilhelm. V-257

Larry Bissell albinvega1493@... wrote: Frank,

Any picks of your reefing arrangement with blocks? Thanks.

Larry

Oct 30, 2019
Hi Frank

I'd be interested in your system too as I abandoned leading the lines
through the cringles and now use a short length of webbing with rings
at both ends that hold the luff down. I still have to go to the mast
to clip them on, but it only takes seconds to do it and I don't have
the chafe that lines through the cringles caused.

David

Oct 31, 2019
I think I made a poopoo....I ment to say "I have to reef the MAINSAIL maybe....."
sorry
Wilhelm, V-257

WL wxt8981@... wrote: Hi all;
I sail my Vega single handed about 99%- I have to reef the foresail maybe once a year (I have the boat some 30 years). I never
had problems with the boom not turning. It's not the best system, but I can do it alone. There never was a problem with the hanks taking off the mast. I guess jiffy rigging is better (from a saing standpoint), but I stay with roller reefing.
When in need, I first reef the main, then change to the stormjib, and when the wind blows too much, I start the engine- just to be safe (at that point it always becomes a matter of survival). One word of caution: reef soon enough, it gets harder and harder when the wind gets stronger. It's always easier to put the sails on, but it's a lot harder to take them down when the wind blows.
Wilhelm. V-257

Larry

Dec 13, 2006
We knew what you meant Wilhelm! :)
No poopoo taken!!!

How have you been feeling Wilhelm? Are you back to full strength?

Chris

WL wxt8981@... wrote: I think I made a poopoo....I ment to say "I have to reef the MAINSAIL maybe....."
sorry
Wilhelm, V-257

Wilhelm. V-257

Larry

Dec 13, 2006
Hey there,

This is a short video of a day sail with the kids in Casco Bay, Maine (USA). The winds were about 20 knots...and we were flying. Note, we overtook a boat to port. I would like to say that it was due to tactical mastery... but we were simply way over-canvased!!!! We were flying though...a really fun day!!! (smile)

Chris

mphalv

Sep 29, 2001
Hey Chris,

Great video! Took forever to download with my slow dial-up connection, but
finally managed to take it all in. Did indeed look like you were flying!
Our last sail of the season was like that! Hope to catch up to you during the
winter for some cross country skiing.

Melanie
V1826 Double Fantasy
Holden, Maine
************************************** See what's new at News, Sports, Weather, Entertainment, Local & Lifestyle - AOL

Oct 31, 2019
Hi Chris;
I guess I'm about as good again as I can hope at my age; anyway, yesterday I was out sailing and the wind was blowing, almost enough to put in a reef- but I didn't, I loved it.
Thanks for caring.... Wilhelm, V-257

Chris Graham albinvega1865@... wrote: We knew what you meant Wilhelm! :)
No poopoo taken!!!

Chris

WL wxt8981@... wrote: I think I made a poopoo....I ment to say "I have to reef the MAINSAIL maybe....."
sorry
Wilhelm, V-257

Wilhelm. V-257

Larry

Oct 31, 2019
Hi Chris;
I've seen the video- great! I had white caps yesterday and on a reach I was between 6.5 and 7 knots.... and I got wet- but had fun!
Wilhelm, V-257

Chris Graham albinvega1865@... wrote: Hey there,

This is a short video of a day sail with the kids in Casco Bay, Maine (USA). The winds were about 20 knots...and we were flying. Note, we overtook a boat to port. I would like to say that it was due to tactical mastery... but we were simply way over-canvased!!!! We were flying though...a really fun day!!! (smile)

Video by Chris Graham

Chris

Dec 13, 2006
Hi Melanie!

We are 15 minutes from the Jackson Ski Touring Center, and about 25 minutes from Bear Notch! So...you can count on it!!!

Got about 10-13" in the Notch yesterday!!!

Chris

MPHALV@... wrote: Hey Chris,

Great video! Took forever to download with my slow dial-up connection, but
finally managed to take it all in. Did indeed look like you were flying!
Our last sail of the season was like that! Hope to catch up to you during the
winter for some cross country skiing.

Melanie
V1826 Double Fantasy
Holden, Maine

************************************** See what's new at News, Sports, Weather, Entertainment, Local & Lifestyle - AOL

Dec 13, 2006
I am jealous that you are still out there Wilhelm! We received about 10-13" of snow yesterday here in the White Mountains! Not very good sailing weather.

So glad to hear that you are doing better!
Fair Winds
Chris

WL wxt8981@... wrote: Hi Chris;
I guess I'm about as good again as I can hope at my age; anyway, yesterday I was out sailing and the wind was blowing, almost enough to put in a reef- but I didn't, I loved it.

No poopoo taken!!!

Chris

sorry
Wilhelm, V-257

Wilhelm. V-257

Larry

May 1, 2007
Hi Chris,
Chris where are your white mountains located? I used to spend summers in the white mountains of Arizona. Thanks Andi

Chris Graham albinvega1865@... wrote:
I am jealous that you are still out there Wilhelm! We received about 10-13" of snow yesterday here in the White Mountains! Not very good sailing weather.

Fair Winds
Chris

No poopoo taken!!!

Chris

sorry
Wilhelm, V-257

Wilhelm. V-257

Larry

Dec 13, 2006
Hi Harold!

We are in North Conway, New Hampshire. We live about 20 minutes from Mount Washington (the largest mountain in the Presidential Range). We moved here several years ago to Rock and Ice Climb, camp, hike, mountain bike, back country ski (tele-mark) etc... It is truly an adrenaline junkies playground!!! :)

I have never been to the White Mountains of AZ, but I bet that they are beautiful! We have about 3-4' of snow on top of Mt. Washington. You can see the conditions here:

www.mountwashington.org/

Going rock climbing today, but I do miss the boat!!!
Cheers
Chris

Harold Anderson papasbackhoeinc@... wrote: Hi Chris,
Chris where are your white mountains located? I used to spend summers in the white mountains of Arizona. Thanks Andi

Chris Graham albinvega1865@... wrote:

Fair Winds
Chris

No poopoo taken!!!

Chris

sorry
Wilhelm, V-257

Wilhelm. V-257

Larry