Wheel or tiller? Which rolls best?

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
On my 27' boat, I'd say the pros & cons are pretty much balanced and the difference between tiller & wheel wouldn't be a factor in a purchase decision. On a larger boat than mine, I'd favor wheel, definitely.

Dec 27, 2012
Precision Precision 28 St Augustine
My boat is 28 foot which many would consider to small for a wheel. I prefer the wheel. partially due to the ability to sit or stand and keep my head straight forward. With the tiller you tend to cock your head sideways. I have neck issues so straight forward is best for me.

Oct 10, 2011
Tartan 34C Toms River, New Jersey
Owned both... Much prefer backing with a wheel that a tiller.....
I have to agree with reference to backing in. It took some time to master backing in to my slip. (still is a bit of a pain)
I do like the quick response of the tiller on my 34', it just feels like I have complete control while sailing.
When I am on the hook the tiller is up which opens up my cockpit. I did consider converting to a wheel, but when I realized where the pedestal would mount it changed my mind.

Jan 15, 2012
Ericson 28/2 Port Kent
With fused neck vertebra steering with a tiller became painful for me. Move to a wheel allowed me to keep sailing. Loved the tiller boats I had, Comet, Lightning, Star, Vataroy, and Ericson 27. Yes, the tiller gave me greater "feel" for the boat. That feel is not as important these gentle cruising days. Backing with a tiler was always an adventure.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Very interesting the comments on backing up with tillers/wheels.

For me, there is no question that I prefer backing up with a tiller. But as I think about this, I imagine that may well be because I have spent decades sailing with tillers and only a couple years with a wheel (on my own boat), occasionally I'd have sailed on someone else's boat with a wheel.

I think backing up is a whole other problem in sailboats that requires both learning the subtleties of reversing and the peculiarities of the individual boat to back up well. From my perspective, backing up is another subject and either tiller or wheel doesn't really come to play, but rather it's the learning how to backup process to be the main issue.

dj

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
This thread makes me think of Robin Lee Graham's experience (in his book Dove) of learning to drive a car after years of sailing tiller boats. IIRC, he instinctively turned the wheel as one would a tiller, and had a close encounter with a cement truck. :yikes:

Hmm... Maybe I'd better consider that when my tiller-trained kids get to driving age. Ah - that's why we have them drive the riding mower (Right. The kids' mowing chore is all about practice; it has nothing to do with letting Dad relax with a cider instead of mowing... :biggrin:)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I found backing with a tiller was more sensitive. I easily put in too much correction. This may have been influenced by the small boat size. With a wheel it is easy to put in less direction change. I have found this easier more controlled. I think I, too often, over correct and have to reverse. Wheel is easier in this case.

JerryA

Oct 17, 2004
Tanzer 29 Jeanneau Design Sandusky Bay, Lake Erie
I love a tiller. My Tanzer 29 is one of the few I've seen with a tiller. Most of them have wheels. The tiller sold me on this boat. Very easy to single hand.

JerryA

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
A tiller can be a lot of work.

The following story shares the experiences a crew on a Lugger ( a ketch-rigged, Almost 40 feet long with a 13-foot beam and a draft of 7 feet sailboat with a tiller.) out of Penzance England enjoyed crossing the English channel.

crossing-the-english-channel-traditionally

The bits about the strength required to manage the helm and standing a night watch at the tiller in the Channel was informative.
  • Three of us struggled the sail and its wooden yard to the foredeck. When it was finally lashed in a wet heap, Jack took the helm from the mate. He strong-armed the tiller, eased the mizzen sheet, and slowly veered the boat downwind.
  • Our two-hour watch took us across the shipping lanes. Dots of lights all around us revealed themselves as container ships, tankers and yachts on the glowing AIS screen. The tiller demanded all my strength and attention, but the luff tackles port and starboard helped relieve the rudder’s heavy pressure. George watched for ships while I steered. He fretted and grumbled and fussed until I finally relinquished the tiller to him. I was glad to stand up.

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
As I remarked earlier,, I used to crew on a 50 (on deck) pinkie schooner. She had a 9 foot tiller. We had luff tackles on her also, and I've seen the tiller with a decided curve in it when we were really steaming-- Full sail with the Gollywobbler set and water running inside the rails from the scuppers.

That tiller was laminated from 1x6 ash boards, tapered to about 4 inches at the end and maybe 8 inches tall at the rudder head. It held up really well- I built it for the owner after he had shattered two previous ones

One hilarious event comes to mind- we were offshore from the St John's river in Florida, under full sail, nicely balanced and steering itself. The owner had 2 daughters who were older teens at the time- one had an almost life sized stuffed Pink Panther. We got the idea to lash it to the tiller as if it was steering, and then all aboard went up and were sitting on the fore cabiin top. Should have seen the double takes from assorted power boats passing us :) :)

jerry

Jun 9, 2004
Catalina 320 500 Stockton, Mo.
My neighbor's boat is a 30 Islander with tiller; my boat is 320 Catalina wheel. I greatly enjoy both steering mechanisms. The tiller can need more strength to hold in a round up situation than the wheel. As far as sensitivity I really don't feel much if any difference. When backing out of the slip I have had the rudder pull the tiller out of my hand and peg against the boat. This was because the engine revved too high and the wind was strong. Otherwise I also feel that backing is a matter of learning the boat, not the tiller. So, whichever you prefer works for me.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Here's a fantastic Youtube vid of a bright young couple's rebuild of a Vindo 32 (28') which starts with a conversion from wheel to tiller that makes sense.

Oct 10, 2011
Tartan 34C Toms River, New Jersey
Here's a fantastic Youtube vid of a bright young couple's rebuild of a Vindo 32 (28') which starts with a conversion from wheel to tiller that makes sense.

Thanks Tom I have a lot to do on my boat this spring, and this video just lit the fire to motivate me.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I learned with a tiller, but grew-up with a wheel. I feel the tiller is easier to steer a consistent heading, but I like the feel of both. Just as long it is attached to a sailboat.
Most of the pros and cons mentioned, for one over the other, can be addressed with design mods. APs work just as well with either, but not every AP is good for both. A tiller can fold or collapse to make more room, either can be lashed (we used a lashing on our wheel), and a pressure plate can be a part of a tiller. One does not always have to change seats with a tiller, but it helps a lot and I prefer the high rail. One advantage a wheel has over a tiller is position of helmsman. You can't, easily stand or sit behind the tiller, but on a small boat, when hiking out, I cant see an easy alternative to the tiller extension.
Merry Christmas:beer:.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 26, 2008
I cant see an easy alternative to the tiller extension.
Merry Christmas:beer:.

-Will (Dragonfly)
@Ward H has a sort of tiller extension for his wheel that works pretty well. It attaches to the top of the wheel with a universal joint. The problem is that you have to practice some mind control. You hold it just like a tiller extension except that it actually works in reverse. When you sit on the windward side, you have to push it to steer downwind and pull it to steer upwind. It takes some getting used to because it is the opposite of a tiller. In fact it is really difficult to get used to if you have a lot of experience with a tiller.

It could work properly if you attached it at the bottom of the wheel, but it wouldn't be as functional … it would be far more difficult to operate when sitting in front of the wheel, for instance.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
@Ward H has a sort of tiller extension for his wheel that works pretty well. It attaches to the top of the wheel with a universal joint.
I had thought of that, but dismissed it as impractical. I'd love to see pictures of it.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
If you are a tiller skipper on a wheel, hold the wheel below the center of the hub and steer it like a tiller. With the tiller/wheel stick, if you mount it to the bottom, the extension will act just like a tiller boat.

Aug 14, 2019
Tartan 34c Toms River
I am used to the tiller, so when I steer my friends wheel boat I use my feet on the bottom of the wheel to prevent me from oversteering.
I learned that from a captain in the BVI. It may sound silly but it works.
Belated Merry Christmas to all.

Oct 26, 2008
If you are a tiller skipper on a wheel, hold the wheel below the center of the hub and steer it like a tiller. With the tiller/wheel stick, if you mount it to the bottom, the extension will act just like a tiller boat.
Well, like I said, I played around with that idea when I was sailing @Ward H boat. It's easy to say it's a solution, but it just doesn't work. It's not practical. Think about when you would be using this "tiller stick" with the wheel. You won't be using it when you are sitting directly behind the wheel within reach of the wheel. We use that tiller stick when we are either sitting on the stern rail seat, or sitting on the windward rail in front of the wheel (in a position where you would normally be sitting with a tiller extension). In these positions, the wheel is basically out of reach so the tiller stick gives you the reach that you need. It is even telescoping!

In the first position (the stern rail), you would be far above the bottom of the wheel. The tiller stick would be more or less vertical to the connection point on the wheel when you are holding your end basically at stomach height. In a vertical position it is more awkward to use and not really effective at all. But, at least there would be no interference between the stick and the wheel/pedestal so I can see how it may work ok in this position. Conversely, when the connection point is at the top of the wheel, the stick is basically horizontal to your sitting position, so it is more effective even if it works opposite to the tiller.

In the second position, sitting in front of the wheel on the rail, you have the same problem with height and you have the additional problem that the stick would have to "bend" around the wheel. If you try to put the stick at the bottom of the wheel and under it more or less directed to the front, then the pedestal is also in the way. That's an obvious problem for which I think there is no good solution. The connection does have a universal joint so the stick can easily be positioned from one side of the boat to the other without affecting the wheel, but that only works at the top of the wheel where you can swing the stick over everything that is in the way. If the stick were to be mounted at the bottom of the wheel, you can only pivot the stick behind the wheel. You can't pivot the stick in front of the wheel because the pedestal is in the way. So if you were changing position from one side to the other, say when tacking, that stick would be flopping around behind the wheel below the seat, potentially snagging or banging and generally becoming a huge nuisance during the maneuver. You would have to be holding it in a vertical position just to keep it out of the way (when you really don't have an extra hand to be dealing with it). In reality, the stick is a bit of a nuisance on the wheel during maneuvers.

So, I've put some thought into it and concluded that it just isn't feasible to make the connection at the bottom of the wheel. It really only works effectively when the stick is attached at the top of the wheel. You just have to train your mind on how to use it! :biggrin::biggrin:

Last edited: