Wheel or tiller? Which rolls best?

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Wheel or tiller? Which do you prefer to keep you on the straight and narrow?

Wheels are convenient, but many sailors believe tillers offer better feel and more precise steering. What do you think?

tiller.jpg

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Winter is coming!

Tiller can get you tighter turns as there is not limit or stop except something in the way. Wheel has a physical stop and hence limited turning radii.

At boat speed the rudder shutters some and it can be felt in the tiller more so than the wheel, but it still can be felt in the wheel.

Autopilots are better suited for wheel, they take up less real estate while on a tiller the whole aft of the cockpit is consumed with the autopilot.

Tillers can be extended while the wheel just kind of sits there.

Tiller needs to be tied down to maintain a course while the wheel's friction plate can be adjusted to keep a course (if the sails are balanced and no autopilot).

Both have their pro's and con's and it really up to the driver. JMHO

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Helming with a wheel means you get to stay put whereas a tiller you switch sides every time you cross the wind. A tiller can be a nuisance in a crowded, cruising cockpit.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Depends on the size of the boat. I think wheels are ridiculous on 20-something footers. At some point though, a wheel gains the advantage. I wouldn't want a 10' long tiller.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I am a believer in boat size impacts the utilization of a tiller or wheel helm.

On racing dinghies and small pocket cruisers the tiller gave positive control. It felt like a natural connection to control a sail boat. It is the way I learned to control the boat. Pull toward you or push away, a little bit to adjust or a lot to change direction. Sometimes the small tiller adjustment solved the sail trim. There was sensitivity to wind changes.

As I transitioned to bigger boats the tillers got unwieldy, and the wheel was introduced. It gave me the power to control the boat in a more compact space. I've only sailed on single helmed boats. Not sure about the two wheel boats.

I do like to sit on the lee side of the boat if I have a lookout on the high side. While it is an acquired taste, at times I find it the most comfortable seat in the house.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Two arming a big tiller, muscles flexing.

My daughter has an easy helm here,...just sayin'. They're both good, each with their own pluses and minuses.

MJ at helm 2.jpg

Feb 13, 2017
Catalina C-22 Lake Dillon
All of the comments have been very helpful. My only thought is that I wished my tiller could be collapsed much like a boat hook. That would eliminate the need to duck around or under on tacks. With the grip in a 'vertical' position the length would be locked. Twist and it could shorten just in the time to move from windward to leeward then re-locked all the time using one hand.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I think it depends on the size of the boat and the application.
A sub 30 foot boat for day sailing is a great boat to have a tiller on, but a 40+ footer that one wants to circumnavigate on wouldn't be.
On one TransAT I had to hand steer in a storm for 22 hours non-stop. I don't think anyone would be able to do that on a larger cruising sailboat with a tiller. Perhaps the vane gear would have done OK, but above 60 knots of wind I kinda figure it's my job to steer and the wind was well over 60 knots.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
I do like to sit on the lee side of the boat if I have a lookout on the high side. While it is an acquired taste, at times I find it the most comfortable seat in the house.
Sue calls the lowside stern quarter deck my "nest" and everyone on board knows to get off my new seat on every tack. Back when I sailed with a couple of labs, even they knew that when the skipper said "helms to lee" it was time to move to the other side cause they were going to be loosing their head rest. I can and have sat in that position for hours on end and it is the most comfy spot on the boat when heeled. just like the recliner at home. it is also the driest spot on deck when takeing waves.

Helm seat.JPG

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
Agreed. it depends on boat size and also depends on the underside of the cockpit sole to see if there is adequate room to install the wheel apparatus if the rudder post is inside the boat. If the rudder is hung on the transom, there are other types of wheel apparatus for those applications. On a smaller boat, or a boat that one races, perhaps, the tiller does give you a more finite feel and the response time is less than with a wheel. But, if the boat gets too large, and has a very large rudder, one person handling the tiller can be a chore in extreme conditions. Sometimes you have to have a few peeps hanging on. With a wheel, there is some built in mechanical advantage so that difficult steering is pretty much non existent, with the exception of dealing with big waves, but that is not a matter of the wheel itself, as it still works the usual way - that is a matter more of skill and technique. Most helmspeeps not versed in that situation tend to over steer and swing the wheel back and forth as each wave hits the boat. In reality one can find a sweet spot and let the boat find itself on course as the wave action varies. When racing, pushing the rudder to and fro only slows the boat, but finding that sweet spot is best for more consistent boat speed. Sorry - I digress. The cockpit itself has to be considered in terms of how much space the wheel or the sweep of the tiller requires or takes up. And, if you get a big wheel, getting around it can be more difficult if you have to climb over the cockpit seat to get behind the wheel. Young people don't complain about such things, but older sailors might. The larger the wheel, the more room it takes up, and the easier it is to steer. Downsizing a wheel won't make that much of a difference in steering, unless it's tiny, but you can maybe walk around it. The T-shaped cockpit was designed with this in mind to accommodate the wheel better. There are also collapsible and oddly shaped wheels to deal with getting around them - it is a matter of choice. Of course the collapsible wheels are only collapsed while at the dock or swinging on the hook and not while sailing. So, if you need to get around the wheel while underway, the collapsible wheel won't be of much help in that situation. My guess is the question was initially asked either because someone is either thinking about going one way or the other on an existing boat, or they are shopping and wondering what emphasis they should apply to that criteria. If you find a boat with a wheel, then it makes sense to leave it that way. Some boats come standard with a tiller and have a wheel upgrade available for extra $$$. Besides the addition of parts, sometimes the deck mold is different from the deck where a tiller is used and so that can change the price too. Someone mentioned twin helms. That applies usually to larger and much wider boats where one wheel in the middle is swapped for a wheel on each side of the boat. That way the helms person can sit or stand in either position and get a better look at sail trim that might not be so easy with a wheel in the middle (and you don't want to leave the wheel to look at a genoa trim, for instance). Someone also mentioned stops on wheels and that tillers don't have stops. Well tillers do when an outboard hung rudder head hits the transom, or the tiller hits the stern rail (examples). Newer and more modern boats with wheels take only a few complete turns to go from stop to stop, where older boats will have wheels that will rotate many more times to go from stop to stop. That is a matter of design and improvements in technology. But, I've never heard anyone complaining about a well found boat not being able to turn adequately when using a wheel under 99% of usual operation.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Someone mentioned twin helms. That applies usually to larger and much wider boats where one wheel in the middle is swapped for a wheel on each side of the boat. That way the helms person can sit or stand in either position and get a better look at sail trim that might not be so easy with a wheel in the middle (and you don't want to leave the wheel to look at a genoa trim, for instance).
I think the majority of the twin wheel/rudder boats are being manufactured that way for the comfort in the cockpit and ease and access of the stern swim area, rather than for sailing purposes, these days.
As for no stops on a rudder, anyone who sails with a tiller will quickly learn that putting the tiller/rudder hard over will not make the boat turn faster, only slow it down very quickly. A barn door is a barn door, whether it is controlled by a wheel or a tiller.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
1576534865300.png

75 sq meter, Bacchant, 64' x 9'10" x 8'4" 1936 Knud H. Reimers
this is my all time favorite sailboat. was campaigned on lake michigan for over 30 years.
Tiller steering baby
at that time, the owner had 2 concordia 40's and a swam 65 kept around the world. she was based out of Milwaukee. the owner was a super nice guy. very approachable.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
the cockpit had custom seats for the helmsman on each side for comfortable helming

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
For the size boats I'll be sailing, up to likely about 38 feet, I greatly prefer a tiller. Tillers are easier to mount wind vanes for self-steering. Tillers can be run with my butt while I have two hands free to handle lines etc. I like the better "feel" of the rudder through a tiller than a wheel. When at anchor, I can swing the tiller up and have a completely clear cockpit. I find it easier to move around a tiller than a wheel in the cockpit. I've never seen any advantages to a wheel in boats below 40 feet.

The only exception to this is if you are running a pilot house or some other design where you have two or more locations where you may steer from. Then you can have hydraulic steering and have a couple (or more) wheels to run the steering inside the pilot house (or wherever) as well as outside. But I've never seen a wind vane on a setup like this.

dj