What's wrong with this caption???

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
They look like they're on a beam reach to me. I'm just guessing from the waves and the other boat headings

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Wow lots of interesting thoughts!

The big thing I saw was the notion that this boat is going UPWIND, based on the sail trim. To me upwind means going to weather; every thing else is a reach. Even if you widen the definition, that point of sail is a beam reach at best. That genoa can't be father out if they tried. For sure the tell tails are wonky, probably because the genoa car lead is way to far back.

Are they racing? Maybe? The crew on the rail and the lack of a US flag would suggest so. I initially took the 'hot pursuit' comment as an attempt to jazz up the mental imagery.

And yes for sure the Sabre should walk up on the T30. But maybe they are not racing. And anyway there is no pride to be gained on a boat 16 feet longer catching a shorter boat on a reach. That's a waterline game.

May 1, 2017
Fuji 40 Washington, DC
Hi all, thanks for the interest in our latest cover! I'm not sure what's wrong with the caption (I wrote it), but I can add a bit more info to the discussion. There are definitely two women aboard. The photo was taken at the American Yacht Club "Rum Run" Regatta on August 3, 2013, off Newburyport, MA. I don't know whether the ladder is dragging or not, I can see now how it might appear so. The photographer let me know that both this boat and the boat he shot from were headed upwind. In fact, the photographer is the foredeck guy on the boat he was aboard and he told me the only time he gets to shoot photos is when they're headed upwind. I've no idea what put one boat ahead or behind the other. I'll add that I think this cover does a great job of capturing our readership: regular folks enjoying good old boats. And BlowMeAway: consider subscribing. If you're interested in our Hunter 30 review, you'd love all of The Sailing Magazine for the Rest of Us! Otherwise, single copies of past and current issues are available on our website, goodoldboat.com, in print or electronically. Finally, everyone enjoy this sample of our May issue: http://www.goodoldboat.com/promo_pdfs/May17_Promo.pdf
All the best,
Michael Robertson, Editor
Good Old Boat magazine

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
I think the ladder is telescoped and folded.
His hand is on the backstay.

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I guess the fire was out by the time I got there ... But, they are sailing with a LOT of twist in the sails which seems un-neccesary given the moderate conditions. The Genoa, which may be a 170%, is never going to look good off the wind. But the lead should be more forward and hauled out if possible. Plus there are two guys in the cockpit who could be on the rail, or at least out of the cockpit. I would have them up there before de-powering the sails with all that twist. Of course, they could be waiting for their start but that wasn't the premise of the OP.
Also, in that issue of GOB there is an article on the dangers of swimming in marinas, in part due to electrocution. This is a subject that has seen many posts here.

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
Jeanneau 349 port washington, ny
That WAS a beautiful picture... until Jackdaw pointed out the jib car position and ruined it for me!

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
That's a twing line for the sheet when they are on a deep Reece or run.