What's wrong with the 'trim' on this boat?

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD

"photo" is from the Sail Anarchy website.

Oct 29, 2008
Montgomery 17 Dothan, Al
I'm not sure. I know in strong winds your sails should be flatter and it looks like the jib car needs to be slid forward?

I know almost nothing about sail trim.....

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
looks about right to me.... the crew looks calm, relaxed and perched rather securely on the coaming. it appears one of them even has his lifejacket on just in case something should go wrong while sailing sweetly along with the rail in the water.
but I really think their jib has a bit too much twist in it for the performance they are looking for...

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
They are close reaching, and that is a VERY awkward point of sail for any boat in a blow. Head up and you can feather off into the breeze, or fall off and turn down in the puffs. But that point of sail is just HARD.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I've found that wind is a better energy source than water when sailing. So I say release the water from the sails. That would leave more room for wind.

Jul 8, 2012
Helms 25 indiana
Well first off, thats just too much heeling for my taste. I'm no expert, but there is too much twist in the jib. The sails appear reefed abit, but for me, I'd tighten up a tad to keep my boat on a more even keel.

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda, FL
Holy S##t!!!! :eek: :eek: Totally out of control! I don't think the rudder is in the water. It would be interesting to see the next few frames. Looks like a knock down coming! My Admiral would be screaming at me to take her back to shore.

He needs to put another reef in the main and flatten his sails to reduce the heel and get the rudder and keel back in the water.

Feb 1, 2011
sail boat dock
Much like a trial lawyer, Rich knows the answer already.....insert smily face here

Jib too big,jib not very tall anyway, main has a very long foot, poor reef,cars too far back as noted, wind strength unclear with fuzzy spots on pic at bow and stern, could be huge gust blast.

Don wait for the grenade from Rich....

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
let out the boom and ease off on the jib sheet. You have enough wind to power the boat at hull speed you just need to get here standing up on the keel.

Dec 30, 2009
jeanneau 38 gin fizz sloop Summer- Keyport Yacht Club, Raritan Bay, NJ, Winter Viking Marina Verplanck, NY
I would mix another batch of margaritas, and wait for the heavy stuff...Red

Oct 29, 2008
Montgomery 17 Dothan, Al
Surely they aren't actually "sailing" in this picture. Looks like a gust caught them, I doubt the sails would actually be pulling the boat forward at that much of an angle....

Aug 22, 2011
MacGregor Venture V224 Cheeseland
Looks like a damn good time to me. We sail like that occasionally. Lucky for me the admiral is game.

Sometimes you go for fun rather than comfort.

Aug 26, 2007
Hunter 41DS Ventura, California
Looks like the tiller is centered so dragging the boom is effectively countering the weather helm- brilliant!

Jul 23, 2009
Beneteau 31 Oceanis Grand Lake, Oklahoma
i'm going out on a limb

The jib doesn't look right. Needs the draft moved forward. More haryard and move the car back for more twist.

The main looks close. Travel up and ease sheet.

Just my guess from only one picture.

maxrdr

Dec 19, 2011
Hunter 310 Lake Oolagah, Oolagah, OK
I would say that RichH has provided us an excellent photo of a pre-knockdown. Unless the gust passes in the next frame, time for sail and boat trim is long past. It appears that the rudder and keel/board are out of the water and the boom is dragging in the water (generally bad news in a centerboard), so I would guess that that next few frames will be of a full knockdown. Note the rail is past being in the water, more like the cabin top is in the water. I just hope they have the companionway closed. This is not sailing, I would put it in the hanging on category.... and I believe these guys have already said 'ooh crap' . Awaiting RichH's explanation

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
The jib doesn't look right. Needs the draft moved forward. More haryard and move the car back for more twist.

The main looks close. Travel up and ease sheet.

Just my guess from only one picture.
My instinct was the same about the jib car needing to go back to dump more air off the top of the jib, but looking closer at the picture it looks like the bottom of the sail is pretty much strapped tight, and the top twisted way off. They might actually be better moving the car forward as others have suggested, allowing them to luff the bottom and top a little more evenly. As it is now, the top will flog but the bottom will still be creating a lot of heeling force.