What's the worst thing that could leak onto your sails?

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I think I found the answer to that question last night when the head leaked onto my spinaker! Wow! That is one foul stench of urine! I almost wish it had been a cat that pee'd on it!

I currently have it soaking in a tub of water and Oxyclean as I understand that places like Sailcare use a similar solution. If this is not going to remove the smell, can someone recommend something that will without damaging the sails?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
PureAyre (www.pureayre.com) is a safe and effective odor eliminator.

Also, check a big box pet store for solutions. Avoid harsh chemicals like bleach.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Both of those solutions sound perfect for this!

@dlochner - You seem to have a solution to for just about everything. Have you ever considered writing a book?

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Hey.... look at the bright side..... it could have been battery acid. That would have been worse.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Both of those solutions sound perfect for this!

@dlochner - You seem to have a solution to for just about everything. Have you ever considered writing a book?
Thanks Mayhem. 35+ years of living with dogs teaches you a thing or two about dealing with the byproducts of mammalian digestion. :(

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Hydrofluoric acid (>40%) scares the crap out of me. Never mind getting it on my sails...

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Look on the bright side...at least your spinnaker is a lot smaller than most of your other sails.

Dave gave you the name of the best product to use: PureAyre PureAyre If this worked for me, it should deodorize your sail completely. Dementia put my dad in a nursing home for the last 3 years of his life (he passed away at 95). I brought all his laundry home to do it all of those 3 years for two reasons: my washer and dryer were a lot kinder to it, and I didn't lose any of it. You can imagine what I had to deal with...I bought PureAyre in gallons by the case! First I soaked it all in cold water with about a quart of PureAyre overnight. Then I washed and dried it normally. Never a trace of odor ever remained.

But you have another even more important problem to deal with: a leaking toilet! That needs to be corrected before the toilet is used again or you're gonna have a lot worse cleanup/odor elimination job than one sail that can go into the washer!
--Peggie

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
But you have another even more important problem to deal with: a leaking toilet! That needs to be corrected before the toilet is used again or you're gonna have a lot worse cleanup/odor elimination job than one sail that can go into the washer!
Peggie, you may remember my late 70's/early 80's SeaFarer (Thetford) head hooked up to the on deck Poop Shooter. It took a whole two seconds to decide to toss it. I'll reach out to you for suggestions when I get to that repair.

The stench haunted me for a couple of days so I haven't dared to open the sail bag yet. The whole thing is still soaking in OxyClean. I'm afraid that the sail might rip if I put it in the wash. The material is so thin!

Thanks Mayhem. 35+ years of living with dogs teaches you a thing or two about dealing with the byproducts of mammalian digestion. :(
I meant that you seem to have an answer for 80% of my sailing related questions. Not just this one! :)

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
You'll get better results if you soak it in PureAyre.
Yes, I do remember your Jabsco "poop shooter" (my name for it)...I posted about it, saved your photo of it for my files....posted below for those who don't have a clue what we're talking about (I THINK this is your photo). I've only seen one boat on which one was installed (no plumbing to it)...I'd love to see someone try to use one!
--Peggie

IMG_20160305_125238.jpg

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
This stuff is $40/gallon or $10 for 14oz. What size bottle would you recommend for this application?

That looks like someone else's poop shooter (see dropbox link in PM/email for orig pic). For those that don't know about this lovely device, the macerator pump is connected to a pump out port on the deck. I think the only use it has is for warding off pirates

Dec 28, 2015
You'll get better results if you soak it in PureAyre.
Yes, I do remember your Jabsco "poop shooter" (my name for it)...I posted about it, saved your photo of it for my files....posted below for those who don't have a clue what we're talking about (I THINK this is your photo). I've only seen one boat on which one was installed (no plumbing to it)...I'd love to see someone try to use one!
--Peggie

View attachment 167856
Miss Peggy, what would you recommend for dealing with this type of situation under the liner of a boat? Previous owner let the faulty tank over fill making it run under the liner to the bilge. Since then I have replaced the whole system but get the smell after it has been sitting closed up. I've shoved my pressure washer up there and it seems to help but cones back.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
You may be able to use the soap suction mechanism of your pressure washer to get some recommended fluid in there. Or you could just flood the bilge again with said solution

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Miss Peggy, what would you recommend for dealing with this type of situation under the liner of a boat? Previous owner let the faulty tank over fill making it run under the liner to the bilge. Since then I have replaced the whole system but get the smell after it has been sitting closed up. I've shoved my pressure washer up there and it seems to help but cones back.
Clean that area thoroughly with detergent and water (sounds like you've already done that much)..leave it as open as possible till it's at least 90% dry, then use a garden pump sprayer to shoot PureAyre onto every surface and into every nook and cranny in the affected area. DO NOT RINSE...just let it dry. Aim a fan at that area for at least 24 hours.

Top-of-the-head idea that just occurred to me: If there's no way to get PureAyre into every surface, nook and cranny, dump a gallon of it into that area, then go out and tack hard over a lot to slosh it all over the place. Suction out the excess liquid and again, leave that area open to dry.
--Peggie

Dec 28, 2015
Clean that area thoroughly with detergent and water (sounds like you've already done that much)..leave it as open as possible till it's at least 90% dry, then use a garden pump sprayer to shoot PureAyre onto every surface and into every nook and cranny in the affected area. DO NOT RINSE...just let it dry. Aim a fan at that area for at least 24 hours.

Top-of-the-head idea that just occurred to me: If there's no way to get PureAyre into every surface, nook and cranny, dump a gallon of it into that area, then go out and tack hard over a lot to slosh it all over the place. Suction out the excess liquid and again, leave that area open to dry.
--Peggie
Thank you. I appreciate your knowledge and ordered you book.