What's the best way to make a "Dark and Stormy?"

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
The Goslings Dark and Stormy is the McDonalds of rum drinks. Soda pop and molasses rum. Save the ginger pop for the sick landlubbers and splash your cane rum with pineapple juice. That is all.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Ginger beer sucks. We only brought that on board to curb sea-sickness of new, inexperienced crew.
I've had ginger beer twice. Once because it sounded interesting, and the second time because I thought "it can't possibly be that bad all the time". Pretty sure I'd rather be sea sick than have it again.

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
goslings black on top and ginger beer, either gosling's or whatever's local and good.
BUT, the regular Goslings ginger beer is 190 calories, 48g of sugar per can! Try their diet version, it's pretty good

sdstef

Jan 31, 2013
Hunter 28 Branched Oak Lake
2 oz. Goslings Dark, 6 oz. ginger beer over ice. Lime, don't forget the lime. squeeze some in and then garnish. I like to put the rum in first, but then you lose the "dark and stormy" look, but it tastes better to me. I have used Canada Dry ginger ale in lieu of the beer, due to ginger beer availability. Also, Bacardi dark is pretty good. Just my .02 cents.

May 31, 2004
Catalina 28 Branford
[QUOTE=".... And the storms are wicked with the 151. (Only for medicinal purposes.)All U Get
Not necessarily so, AUG. Back in the 70's- the fondue days (youngsters, google it)- we ran out of Sterno, so used 151in it's place. The highlight of the evening was when Norman took a swig from the bottle. Talk about a red face- he was a redHEAD ![/QUOTE]

Long ago and far away I went on a camping trip with a couple of buddies. We started the campfire with Ronrico 151. Wooooosh! Then we drank the rest of the bottle. Ah, to be 18 again......

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Our club has Ginger Ale on tap in the kitchen, so that often doubles as ginger beer.
And I always have a plastic bottle of cheap-and-cheerful dark rum on the boat.

Maybe a bit dodgy as a Dark&Stormy, but I'll that that with a cutie in the cockpit over a perfect one in some dumb bar any time. ;^)

Point is, company and occasion are WAY more important than the actual mix.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Our club has Ginger Ale on tap in the kitchen, ....
The admiral would love that! She is from the Long Island north shore and her favorite drink is a "gin and ginger". She has been complaining for 30+ years that none of the drinking establishments here in the Midwest carry ginger ale. She tells them to make it with 7up and Coke. :mad:

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Come on! Here is the way:

Try ALL the methods and see which you like! To be fair, and since you may begin to like them more as you go, try them again in REVERSE order (not reverse gear).

Then, and only then, will you know!
Of course, you will have such a hangover the next day, you may not ever want another!:kick:

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
The admiral would love that! She is from the Long Island north shore and her favorite drink is a "gin and ginger". She has been complaining for 30+ years that none of the drinking establishments here in the Midwest carry ginger ale. She tells them to make it with 7up and Coke. :mad:
She needs to come sail at WYC. ;^)

Feb 26, 2008
Catalina 30 Marathon, FL
jimmcgee, where are you located on Barnegat Bay? We're at Mariners in Barnegat. I always get blank looks when I ask for D&S at a bar or restaurant. They might have dark rum but usually don't even know what ginger beer is. Waiters & waitresses always have to ask the bartender "do we have this?" The answer is always no. Perhaps the places around BB have it? We haven't explored enough, yet.
Hey Scott,
You can get a dark & stormy at Latitudes on Forked River but only if Brant is on the outside bar upstairs. The other bartenders can't figure out how to make one. They use Goslings rum and Goslings ginger beer. Their sushi is pretty good too :)

Oh, and Wegman's has Barritts Ginger beer in the "high end" soda section.

If Hunt and Susan are still at Mariners (Catalina 34) tell them Jim & Kathy on the Catalina 30 said hi.

Jim

Feb 26, 2008
Catalina 30 Marathon, FL
BTW, real ginger beer works well for folks who are feeling a little seasick.

Apr 24, 2006
Aloha 32 Toronto, Lake Ontario
In Canada, there is a Presidents Choice ginger beer (soda) that is so spicy it'll take the paint off a Yanmar.
We find it's perfect in a Dark and Stormy if cut 50/50 with ginger ale. The only downside is that it only comes in 2 liter bottles. But I agree with Jackdaw - it's all about the company, not the mix...

Attachments

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
I think my thread has managed to flush out all the alcoholics on this forum :>). Thank you for your thoughtful responses, they will be put to good use. I think I have discovered the perfect recipe. After extensive experimentation, without a government grant I might add, I was able to determine the best recipe. First start with a tall 16 oz. glass and fill it with ice. Then fill it up with ginger beer leaving enough room for a couple ounces of Goslings black seal on the top. Float the goslings on top and drink it down until the goslings is gone. This leaves most of the ginger beer still in the glass. Float some more Goslings on the ginger beer to fill up the glass. Drink it down until the Goslings is gone. This still leaves most of the ginger beer in the glass. Fill it up again with Goslings black seal rum. Each drink has progressively more rum in it, but as you get more drunk you will find this to your satisfaction. Keep repeating until eventually the ginger beer is all gone. When you come home and your wife starts screaming at you for being drunk you can legitimately say that you only had one drink. This is almost as good as a tall long island ice tea.

Feb 26, 2008
Catalina 30 Marathon, FL
I think my thread has managed to flush out all the alcoholics on this forum :>).
:biggrin:

I think I have discovered the perfect recipe. After extensive experimentation, without a government grant I might add, I was able to determine the best recipe.
Finally our tax dollars put to good use !

<--- snip --->

When you come home and your wife starts screaming at you for being drunk you can legitimately say that you only had one drink. This is almost as good as a tall long island ice tea.
No, no, no, you're doing it wrong !

She should be there and you should be mixing the drinks !

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
Very popular drink around my boat, and home.

I simply use one part Rum (Gosslings of course) 1 part Ginger Beer, and a lime slice. If the lime isn't available, a splash of lime juice works, just not as nicely. Was appreciated on the docks in Beaufort NC, and also in Pensacola Florida :)

Of course, after several, who cares???

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
Interesting, in all the D&Ss I've had down here they have varying amounts of lime juice in addition to the ginger beer. This is how I make mine.

Juice one half of a large lime add to glass
Fill glass with crushed ice
Pour in three ounces of Meyers Dark Rum
Fill glass with ginger beer
Stir
Add a lime wedge
Ahhhhhhh

YVRguy

Jan 10, 2013
Hunter 34 Vancouver, BC
The Goslings Dark and Stormy is the McDonalds of rum drinks. Soda pop and molasses rum. Save the ginger pop for the sick landlubbers and splash your cane rum with pineapple juice. That is all.
Whoa!! That was a shot across the bow... As a rum lover and Dark n' Stormy officianado, I take issue with that remark. Yes, many tourists enjoy various rum and pineapple combinations, typically with an umbrella sticking out it somewhere. On the other hand, a well made Dark n' Stormy is spicy and more challenging to the palate - therefore not for everyone. But after a day on the water it is uniquely satisfying.

With that said, If you want to avoid mixing your rum with soda, why not just buy good rum and drink it neat? Zaya or Ron Zacapa are both excellent choices.

YVRguy

Jan 10, 2013
Hunter 34 Vancouver, BC
Ok, occasionally I have weighed in here in connection to matters on which I am less qualified than many of you. But on this subject I can speak with confidence.

I would disagree with those who say that any dark rum will do. Myers, for example, makes a horrible D&S. Goslings is the default choice and for good reason - it just goes particularly well with ginger beer. An excellent and higher-end alternative is Mount Gay XO. It adds an oaky flavour that is really quite satisfying.

As for the correct preparation: The practice of pouring the ginger beer first and the rum on top is a matter of presentation only. The dark rum floating like a storm cloud on top of the comparatively lighter coloured ginger beer speaks to the name of the drink. Ultimately as others have said, mix it up to enjoy the way it was meant to taste - or take a good pull off the rum first if it's been a tough day on the water.

There is no right answer for the amount of rum, other than to say it should be no less than 1:3 with the ginger beer. 1:2 is excellent. You should drink it wth lots of ice which will cut the rum anyway. A weak D&S is just kind of a cloying sweet drink (which may be Gunni's problem).

There is some question about the amount of lime to add. Many cocktail bar versions use quite a bit more lime than necessary which changes the character of the drink. A good squeeze from a decent sized lime wedge (which remains in the drink) is all that is required.

One of the things that makes this drink truly fun is the selection of ginger beer. There are so many out there and most are regional so extensive experimentation is warranted, both at home and when traveling. I tend to look for a strongly spicy variety and try to avoid those that are sweetened with high-fructose corn syrup. (That stuff will kill you). One rather high-end suggestion is "Fever Tree". Check out: http://www.fever-tree.com/ginger-beer

Lastly is the issue of snacks to accompany. I would never normally eat cheezies (Americans call them cheese doodles?) but in Canada we have a brand called Hawkins that make a perfect accompaniment for the D&S. Hey, nobody's perfect.
IMG_0398.JPG

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Has any one of you ever made a dark and stormy using Allens 100 proof ginger brandy instead of the ginger beer? Combined with the 80 proof rum this should knock your socks off and still give the same flavor profile. At 2 parts ginger brandy and one part rum the combined drink will be about 93 proof. I'd like to see Gunni find fault with that combo. I might have to get on the liver transplant list as a precautionary action if I start drinking these.