What's the best way to make a "Dark and Stormy?"

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Looking up the recipe I get all kinds of differences everything from 3 ounces of ginger beer to 10 ounces of ginger beer to what all seem to agree on 2 ounces of rum. Some recipes call for lots of ice, others not so much. The Goslings can says to put the ginger beer in first over the ice then float the rum on top. Most other recipes say to put the rum in first and mix it up with the ginger beer. How can such a simple drink recipe have so many conflicting methods of manufacture? So who on this forum is a dark and stormy expert and what is the best way to make one?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
We have a Catalina in the club named "Dark and Stormy". I'll have to pass along the recipe when you figure it out. ;)

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
The more rum, the better. Really.

That being said, it is REALLY hard to mess up.

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
I guess I would start with the ginger beer and pour in the rum until it pleases your taste buds. I never had one but not a fan of flavored beers anyway.

May 31, 2004
Catalina 28 Branford
"Dark and Stormy" is actually trademarked by Gosling's. They own the rights to the name, which they think gives them the right to dictate the recipe too. In fact, they rather (in)famously changed the brand of the ginger beer "required" for a Dark and Stormy a few years ago. So if you want the official drink, you gotta use the Gosling's recipe. I believe that one calls for the ginger beer on the bottom with the rum floating on top. It's supposed to look like a dark and stormy sky.

http://www.goslingsrum.com/cocktails/dark-n-stormy-cocktail/

All that being said, Jackdaw's got the right idea. Mix it however you like and enjoy. Don't worry about the patent police!

I personally got tired of trying to find real ginger beer and started using Canada Dry ginger ale instead. At this point, I prefer it that way whenever I make the drink. Not quite same and it sure looks different than the official version, but still pretty tasty. I must confess, I've pretty much switched over to Sailor Jerry and Coke Zero anyway.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
We have tried a few different rums both dark and light. I must say that the Gosling's Dark rum that they recommend is the best to my tastes. We use about 6 oz of ginger beer and enough rum to make a dark cloud. We get two drinks out of a 12oz can of ginger beer. Lots of ice. The uninitiated will try to drink it without stirring, but only once.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Well, Goslings is a dark rum, right? Other dark rums are Myers Rum & Captain Morgan also makes a dark rum.
I like ginger beer but am not all that wild about dark rum. I'll drink ginger beer with a spiced rum and even Malibu rum. But I don't call those D&S.
I always buy the Regatta ginger beer because I love the bottles! http://regattagingerbeer.com/
By all means, add rum and ice to your own taste, and feel free to include a lime wedge. When I drink these, I usually use a pretty large glass, so I add more than 2 ounces of rum. I'd guess I use about 2:1 to 3:1 ratio, ginger beer to rum.
I float the rum on top just to look at it ... then I stir.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2008
Catalina 30 Marathon, FL
I always heard the original dark & stormy recipe was Barritt's Ginger beer and Goslings and I still think that's the best combination.

Goslings has their own brand of ginger beer now. It's not bad and it's what you find in most of the bars that carry Goslings. Saranac ginger beer is pretty good in a dark & stormy too. But I haven't any rum I like as much as Goslings in this drink.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
jimmcgee, where are you located on Barnegat Bay? We're at Mariners in Barnegat. I always get blank looks when I ask for D&S at a bar or restaurant. They might have dark rum but usually don't even know what ginger beer is. Waiters & waitresses always have to ask the bartender "do we have this?" The answer is always no. Perhaps the places around BB have it? We haven't explored enough, yet.

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
How to make a Dark and Stormy? Easy, when your blonde G/F tells you her hairdresser suggested going brunette and asks your opinion and you mutter and nod because you weren't paying attention anyway, and then she goes through with it and not sure if she likes it, and then you see her and are totally surprised and say something stupid like "What did you DO?!"... Now ya got Dark and Stormy... Don't ask me how I know this.
If you this ever happens to you, for love all things holy DO NOT call her by another name (of a famous incredibly hot brunette actress) in bed... She will NOT think this is funny.

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
...and then she goes through with it and not sure if she likes it, and then you see her and are totally surprised and say something stupid like "What did you DO?!"...
...or the Brunette simply wants to darken her grayish roots, but adds red highlighlights...and she's Italian, and you say wadcha do? Yeah, Dark and Stormy indeed. Been there, suffered that.

Ginger beer sucks. We only brought that on board to curb sea-sickness of new, inexperienced crew. My favorite post dinner mix is the "Frozen Bushwacker". Also a hundred different ways to prepare that.

Sorry about the hijack, but CloudDiver started it...he's a funny guy!

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
We've found ginger beer in the local stores including Trader Joes in the organic section. So it supposed to look like a storm. I thought you were supposed to drink it quick before the storm hits. And the storms are wicked with the 151. (Only for medicinal purposes.)

All U Get

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
[QUOTE=".... And the storms are wicked with the 151. (Only for medicinal purposes.)All U Get[/QUOTE]

Not necessarily so, AUG. Back in the 70's- the fondue days (youngsters, google it)- we ran out of Sterno, so used 151in it's place. The highlight of the evening was when Norman took a swig from the bottle. Talk about a red face- he was a redHEAD !