What's the best way to keep a couple smart phones charged, on a sailboat?

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Our son and a friend are planning a couple weeks of coastal sailing.

With an old dual USB plug(came with the boat) - that splits the charge when two devices are connected - after a few days, the result is both phones being half-dead, all the time. The phones are their major nav. sources as well as communication along the coast.

We're concerned more with the safety aspect of dead phones in the case of an emergency, off the boat. They should have the ability to make a 911 call, especially off the boat if a medical issue arises.

He has a handheld VHF that's easier to keep charged with a small inverter. The boat has a Grp 27 battery and a large flexible solar panel to erect when it needs charging(outboard power). The boats power needs are minimal; a few LED reading lights and navigation lights(rarely used). It's easy to keep the house battery well charged.

My first thought was to install 2 receptacles for the lighter style USB chargers. It's easy to find the higher 2.4A output chargers and with two, they can have faster charging of two phones.

Then I've seen straight 12V USB with the higher output, but they still split the max A when two plugs are used. Might use 2 of those instead?

I've been looking at USB chargers, both at home and online. They run the gamut from 1A output (I was surprised to see many of our 'cubes' were 1A only) to higher 3A mostly in newer phone styles.

What's the scoop on fast charging smart phones on the boat?

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
The best way, in my opinion, is to have a charger that supports two phones at once and supports the quick-charging protocols. My favorite are by Anker. I've had great success with them.

<b>PowerDrive Speed</b> 2

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I also have an Anker 100WH power bank. I can probably charge my Samsung Galaxy S9 ten times with this. You can let it charge up slowly from the house batts, and then it provides quick charging once you plug in a phone.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
I also have an Anker 100WH power bank. I can probably charge my Samsung Galaxy S9 ten times with this. You can let it charge up slowly from the house batts, and then it provides quick charging once you plug in a phone.
They do have a couple of small power banks. Looking at those I've found they too vary in charging output and splitting the charge. For instance I have a Makita USB charger for their 18V batteries. The two USB ports don't split the charge - I assume because it rates 2.1AX2 - but it's only 2.1A.

I like the Anker 3A X 2, and sent that to him. I'll get one also for our many receptacles. There is often the time you need the fast charge knowing you're headed off for hiking or road travel from the boat. Thanks for that!

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
There are a number of ways to answer this question.

If I wanted to the most cautious I would go with both of the first two I list below.

1. Jackery or similar independent battery. For around $250 you can have an independent battery that can charge your typical phone 50 times before needing to be recharged. It's independent from the boat system, so you accidentally drain it all the way down you still have the house system to use. It's solar ready so you can get a small panel that plugs into it and charge it on deck (only do this supervised).
  2. A high quality USB plug. I use bother the Blue Sea Systems (inside the boat) and the ROKK charge from Scantrust (in the cockpit and I have used it in the rain). Both are over 4 amps total. So they can charge a single tablet or two phones typically. Personally I don't trust adapters. I don't like the old cigarette lighter style plugs period and I'm trying to eliminate them from my boat.
  3. USB solar panels. We have two on board in our ditch bag. We have used them and they work but most are small amperage and the phone would need to be turned off to have sufficient power to charge
  4. Multiple lithium battery packs and "candy bars". These could be charged at home and then used while they are on the boat. The candy bars have enough power to recharge a phone once or twice. But they are cheap (as low as $10 each). So you could have 10-20 of them on the boat to recharge phones. Once dead they go in a pile for recharging next time you go home. They have different sizes, some that can recharge phones multiple times.
  5. Beef up your battery bank so you have plenty of excess power and add some permanent solar. Two group 31 batteries or even better two 6 volt golf cart batteries. Add 100-200 watts of solar panels and a MPPT controller and you can use USBs or the inverter to charge as much as you would like with little concern for killing the batteries.

Good luck and hope you continue to enjoy the boat.

Jesse

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I have 2 of these aboard. One is being recharged below, while we charge up USB devices on the weather deck.
They are rugged and somewhat "water proof".

Waterproof 500000mAh 2 USB Portable Solar Battery Charger Solar Power Bank - Walmart.com

I have tested the "solar recharge" and it is not so fast to gain power. One recharged on the dash panel of my car in about 2 days. You would need 3 then. Two to solar recharge and then one to use.:facepalm:
Jim...

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
I echo this sentiment. Cables do go bad, so have good ones, and have extras. We had to discard two cables out of about 6 during our 6 months on board, charging phones and computers every day.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I echo this sentiment. Cables do go bad, so have good ones, and have extras. We had to discard two cables out of about 6 during our 6 months on board, charging phones and computers every day.
makes sense to have backups for everything since this will be a safety system :thumbup:

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Tom, Given the lack of reliable cell coverage along the mid-coast a hand held GPS would be the sound manner of navigation.. If you need to access emergency services CH 16 is still the best option. 911 calls on the water can be interesting. The EMD folks will need your exact location ( lat/lon) and will then in all probability TX the call to the CG. Delays in the system equal delays in response...

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
A standard 12V socket from Blue Sea Systems such as the model 1011, and a dual USB-A 12V insert with at least 2.4A per port will work just fine.

There are a lot of low quality 12V insert USB chargers out there, we've seen many fail. We have beat the snot out of the Scosche USBC242M (about $9.50) and the Anker Power Drive 2 model #A2310 (about $9.00). We've not been able to kill either one yet. The Anker will easily charge two iPads at once and stays a bit cooler than the Scosche doing so. There is also the Anker Power Dive PD2 Model #A2227 but it only has one standard USB-A and the other port is USB-C.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Get a power bank. We use a Stanley Simple Start; it is intended for automotive engine start up booster but it comes with a USB outlet and a flashlight. Plenty of power. You can also hook up a 12V receptacle directly to the boat's battery. The use of short wires will insure better voltage to the USB plug and charger. Do not forget to fuse the (+) lead.

srimes

Jun 9, 2020
Macgregor 26D Brookings
Does your USB charger work if you charge 1 phone at a time? Is it different with the motor running/house battery being charged?

I believe most 12v/usb phone chargers are "dumb," with a simple resistor to drop voltage "enough" that it doesn't damage the phone. That's why you should be careful about overcharging on car trips, as the alternator will increase voltage to around 14v. After running the house batteries a few days you may be closer to 12v. USB is 5v spec, so 1-2v could make a huge difference. It would be interesting to check the usb output voltage at different house battery voltages.

Just hooking up 2 usb ports should work. If not, a small 120v inverter should be more contestant at different house voltages.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Tom, Given the lack of reliable cell coverage along the mid-coast a hand held GPS would be the sound manner of navigation.. If you need to access emergency services CH 16 is still the best option. 911 calls on the water can be interesting. The EMD folks will need your exact location ( lat/lon) and will then in all probability TX the call to the CG. Delays in the system equal delays in response...
In fact, we had a medical emergency this weekend. Hiking on a newly made public, trail, we realized the kids had fallen behind. A loud holler from our son and we ran back down the trail. Our daughter was suffering a seizure. No history, fit and healthy. Our son had caught her going down and had her on the ground when we reached them.

In that our son is a type 1 diabetic, diagnosed at 6 yrs. old, we have seen a few grand mal seizures when he was younger(none since). Still, it's not an easy situation to be in.

Our sons cell phone was dead (hence this thread), so he took his moms cell and called 911. The 911 operator on the mainland (8 miles distant) quickly offered immediate instructions as we gave her the location. This was on a big island which has it's own small EMT staff of volunteers.

Location wasn't easy as this is a new public area with trails and no name. But with my cell phone with navionics running it was easy to describe and locate as my son conversed on another cell. My wife took off back to the boat to pick up more sugar sources (we had some but made the mistake of prepping for the '15 minute hike'). She also picked up more water (we had enough but there was no known schedule suddenly). She also picked up the handheld VHF, just in case.

As our daughter was coming around, I took off down the trail toward town, the direction the EMT's were en route. We didn't want them to take the wrong trail.

I was able to keep tabs on our son and daughter through our family text which we use all day long.

I met the ambulance, which was soon stuck in mud. It was soon followed by a 4 WD Kubota (trail caretaker). The EMD crew, 5 in all, finished the last 1/2 mile on foot. All this was of course complicated by Covid-19 but went without a hitch.

She was conscious when they arrived. They tested her, questioned and answered and were an amazing group to know is there in an emergency.

She is fine and we're getting her checked out but so far, it seems to have been a random event.

But those random events - I'm convinced - more than likely will happen close to home, in cell range these days. Kghj

Cell phones are very efficient safety devices and I believe sped up the process over VHF, but they have their own problems ( limited range).

Things to fix:

#1 cell phone charging can be lame due to low output chargers, bad cords, dual USB plugs that split the charge, etc. I've been given excellent advice here from the responses.

#2 Better aware of how to give location through a cell phone which has a GPS, in a situation like this. Our son would have been better at this but his phone was dead. :)

I've relayed these options to son, thanks for all the responses.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
In fact, we had a medical emergency this weekend. Hiking on a newly made public, trail, we realized the kids had fallen behind. A loud holler from our son and we ran back down the trail. Our daughter was suffering a seizure. No history, fit and healthy.
Tom,
Thankfully, your daughter is fine. :)
Yes it is really amazing the usefulness of multiple cell phones for emergency communication, location, and tracking.
I recently purchased a portable power bank for use if we experience power outages during a hurricane or other emergency. Probably should buy a second one to keep on the boat.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Better aware of how to give location through a cell phone which has a GPS, in a situation like this.
I have an IPhone so in IOS there is a “standard” app called MAPS, in other words every IPhone can display GPS coordinates using this app.

Launch MAPS and your location is displayed as a blinking blue circle. Tap on the circle, scroll down and you will see LAT LONG so you can either Share it or simply read out the numbers to the first responder.

I don’t know how this is done on an android phone but maybe someone can add that info.