What's the best way to keep a couple smart phones charged, on a sailboat?

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I don’t know how this is done on an android phone but maybe someone can add that info.
Get the coordinates of a place
  1. On your Android phone or tablet, open the Google Maps app .
  2. Touch and hold an area of the map that isn't labeled. You'll see a red pin appear.
  3. You'll see the coordinates in the search box at the top.

I just tested this and it worked.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Get the coordinates of a place
  1. On your Android phone or tablet, open the Google Maps app .
  2. Touch and hold an area of the map that isn't labeled. You'll see a red pin appear.
  3. You'll see the coordinates in the search box at the top.

I just tested this and it worked.
Works similarly in both the Google Maps and Apple Maps apps on iOS too.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
I have an IPhone so in IOS there is a “standard” app called MAPS, in other words every IPhone can display GPS coordinates using this app.

Launch MAPS and your location is displayed as a blinking blue circle. Tap on the circle, scroll down and you will see LAT LONG so you can either Share it or simply read out the numbers to the first responder.

I don’t know how this is done on an android phone but maybe someone can add that info.
Thanks! Testing that out.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
One question on MAPS app. If you turn the app off so it doesn't refresh all the time (I rarely use it except traveling roads), will it still give you the GPS lat and Lon? Or not open without internet to refresh the map?

Navionics also gives your lat and lon when you tap the ? for weather/tide at your location. My sons iPhone 8 it works great. Problem with my smaller 6 is the screen is smaller and leaves the minutes off the location. Could be my text is larger (I need that). A work around I found is to tap a marker, then the screen reveals the whole number to read to an operator.

We're working on this on our family text. I'm going to make sure everyone has a route to a readable GPS lat and lon.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
One question on MAPS app. If you turn the app off so it doesn't refresh all the time (I rarely use it except traveling roads), will it still give you the GPS lat and Lon? Or not open without internet to refresh the map?

Navionics also gives your lat and lon when you tap the ? for weather/tide at your location. My sons iPhone 8 it works great. Problem with my smaller 6 is the screen is smaller and leaves the minutes off the location. Could be my text is larger (I need that). A work around I found is to tap a marker, then the screen reveals the whole number to read to an operator.

We're working on this on our family text. I'm going to make sure everyone has a route to a readable GPS lat and lon.
I just tested MAPS on my IPhone 8+ running IOS ver 13.5.1
I turned Airplane mode ON and ensured wifi, Bluetooth were off. I restarted the phone and when I went to maps it still displayed the pulsing blue circle showing my location.

If you rotate your IPhone 6 into landscape do the complete LAT LONG numbers display?

If your families are using Apple devices you might want to investigate this feature

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
the Scosche USBC242M (about $9.50) and the Anker Power Drive 2 model #A2310 (about $9.00)
:plus:
I have both of these on the boat. During our three day first trip of 2020 the Scosche provided the power for our 2 cell phones and an AppleWatch. When I have the iPads or the MacBook onboard the Anker provides all the power to keep it happy.

srimes

Jun 9, 2020
Macgregor 26D Brookings
I really like the GPS Test Plus app on my android, and I'm sure there's similar for iphone. I've used it for years.

Simple, quick and clear location, altitude, speed, time, etc. Works in airplane mode and on airplanes :cool:

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT

You don't need Internet to use the phone as GPS. You can test that by choosing airplane mode. But of course you do need cell or WiFi services to communicate and share with others.
PS - with the latest versions of iOS (not sure when this feature was introduced) you can use a 3-finger double-tap-touch to make your text larger. It expands the entire screen beyond the physical edges, and you can drag the view around by touching with 3-fingers and dragging. A second 3-finger double-tap gets you back to normal view.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
You could also use COMPASS as it is also a standard on IOS. Double tap GPS coordinates and it auto launches MAPS.

You might also want to determine how IOS Emergency SOS could be of use. Useful if you only have access to a locked IPhone

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Clarification - you don't need Internet to use the GPS sensor but you might need it with some apps that use the "iOS location services" (GPS). The maps must be downloaded and stored on the device.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
Tom, I hope your daughter is OK.
I just went through a search for USB charging on board. I actually bought a panel with a 12V socket, battery voltage display and one of these dual USB outlets but the USB outlet was dead so I am replacing it with this:

Mr Fox

Aug 31, 2017
Marshall 22 Portland, ME
I second the blue seas- I have a 2 socket model- one is a 12v, the other a dual usb. Dual usb charges phones and tablets perfectly. 12v I have another dual usb plug from Anker so I can use that if need be, or plug another accessory that needs a 12v. Has been rock solid for 4 years, never an issue. I typically charge 2 phones in usb and am running a Samsung rugged tablet at full brightness from the socket. Keeps everything at 100% charge.

Dr. D

Nov 3, 2018
Beneteau Oceanis 35.1 Herrington Harbour North
Don't forget water proof cases for the phones. They won't work if they're wet.
That is no longer the situation for all smartphones. My iPhone 11 is nearly waterproof.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Wow! All of this wonderful technology. My first attempt to solve a similar issue was to use the “split”; i.e., two charging receptacles emerging from one plug-in receptacle to the house battery located at the main panel, factory installed. But we have three smart devices plus two hand-held VHF radios, that were “sharing”, mostly time-sharing, that one plug-in. Of course, with any guests or crew aboard, they needed to use it as well.

A couple of weeks ago I installed a second plug with a separate connection pathway to the house battery and away from the panel; i.e., on the opposite side of the boat. Big difference in overall utility now. A device over there can charge undisturbed as long as it takes, usually not long with the fast charge. I‘m wishing now to install yet another plug on yet another connection pathway to the house battery, in another area: the portside quarter berth. This one will work off the house lights panel switch. So, with that switch on the plug will be hot, but no lights have to be on at the same time.

Last edited:

Pat E

Jul 28, 2020
Gilbert 30+ Belleville
Our son and a friend are planning a couple weeks of coastal sailing.

With an old dual USB plug(came with the boat) - that splits the charge when two devices are connected - after a few days, the result is both phones being half-dead, all the time. The phones are their major nav. sources as well as communication along the coast.

We're concerned more with the safety aspect of dead phones in the case of an emergency, off the boat. They should have the ability to make a 911 call, especially off the boat if a medical issue arises.

He has a handheld VHF that's easier to keep charged with a small inverter. The boat has a Grp 27 battery and a large flexible solar panel to erect when it needs charging(outboard power). The boats power needs are minimal; a few LED reading lights and navigation lights(rarely used). It's easy to keep the house battery well charged.

My first thought was to install 2 receptacles for the lighter style USB chargers. It's easy to find the higher 2.4A output chargers and with two, they can have faster charging of two phones.

Then I've seen straight 12V USB with the higher output, but they still split the max A when two plugs are used. Might use 2 of those instead?

I've been looking at USB chargers, both at home and online. They run the gamut from 1A output (I was surprised to see many of our 'cubes' were 1A only) to higher 3A mostly in newer phone styles.

What's the scoop on fast charging smart phones on the boat?

[/QUOT

We bought a solar charger from Amazon that is so powerful, we use it at home Instead of an outlet.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Phones charged in the cranberry islands. I found a 3.1 X 2 at of all places, my local hardware. They also sell the apple certified charging cords instead of the junk that fails in no time.

We have 4 cig recepts on the boat so this 3.1x2 is in one by companionway. It’ll charge both phones to 100% from a minimal charge in an hour or two.

Thanks to everyone. I’ll send you all a 2.1 X 1 A USB plug, if you don’t have several already.
FF11CAC3-FCF6-4E7C-B7CE-7EA55ED28679.jpeg