What's the best size for a novice?

• Thread starter SailboatOwners.com editorial
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dave B.

The small advantage

I learned on a small 8 foot sailing dingy and a Sunfish. The I got from the smaller boats was learning the feel for trouble and how to get out of it. On the smaller boat I got myself into lots of trouble "fooling around" but the beauty was it wasn't a major problem. Right the boat and off we go again. Let go of the sheet and everyone is happy. Eventually, I picked up a sense of where the edge was and what to do when things started to go wrong and got lots of opportunities to try again and again. Not soomething you'd necessarily get driving a bigger boat to begin with.

B

Bryan C.

Used

Whatever size boat you get, I would get a used one for the first boat. Actually, I would probably get a used one regardless, but particularly the first boat. You are going to do a lot of things while learning that will make you cry if its on a brand new expensive boat, but only make you embarrassed if its an old boat that already has the nicks and scratches. After you feel like you know what you're doing, you can sell the used boat and get a shiny new one if you want, and have a better chance of not smashing into something right off the bat.

V

Vern

Wife and me

To get the wife to consider sailing as a possible joint recreation, I had to propose a first boat that would be afforable (cheap, really), resaleable (in case she hates it), trailerable - i.e. centerboard, (so we have some options), room for a couple of grandkids after we feel qualified, and equipped with a portapotti. We are looking for an ODay Mariner, and signing up for lessons this summer in a Rhodes 19.

J

Jim Russell

Start with an Iceboat

Ah, one really learns fast on an iceboat . . . or else. Besides its cooler than learning in the summer. <grin> Jim

Z

Zeke

What Do You Want?

It all depends on what you want to do. The Catalina 22 is light, responsive and quick. It's also a small, forgiving boat that a beginner, with a few hours of instruction, can safely sail and enjoy. He can also overnight to see what the cruising life is like. If he is interested in racing, there are plenty of contenders around for one design or impromtu, "I can beat you back to the marina" challenges. Oh, the joys of small boat sailing.

J

Joe McGinnis

I'm With Zeke!

I agree with everything Zeke said about the Catalina 22. The key factor in this puzzle is a used one is very affordable so the the young family or the young single person can get into the sport of sail/cruising with this versitle boat.

D

Dave of Nature's Cradle

Everyone has a got an opinion !

And everyone has the correct answer, for them. personaly I agree with Dave B. I learned to sail on the Great Lakes in Michigan, and No one and I mean NO ONE could have picked a more challenging area to learn in. Plus I started in an 8' dinghy, cat rigged boat with way too much canvas. So you get wet, so you learn. life jacket on at all times ,good swimmer or not. Secondly you will find that with a small boat you have less re-action time then you do with a larger craft such as 22' Catalina. A season with let's say a sunfish where the hull will float no matter what is a good idea as well. I believe it will inspire confidence knowing you can take a spill and not get hurt nor sink the boat. Of course as you get used to this it becomes less heart racing and you need a bigger thrill. Now then, graduate to your next boat which should be larger and beamier and you will find that the basic skills you learn from a beginners course and the sunfish will translate into more reation time, and more confidence. Thus translating into more experience. A lasting and loving one, in addition to a lasting respect for the world around you . The wind, the water, and the land as well, and believe me if you do this together as a family, or just two friends, or maybe husband and wife you will find that your love of the water, wind and boat together will translate into a very lasting and enjoyable experience that all aboard will enjoy for a long time to come. And thats my 2 cents! :) Happy Sailing, Dave LaPere

M

Marcus

To Vern in NH

I previously owned a 34' Morgan CB and LOVED it! Only problem was that it required more time than my wife and I had to enjoy it. We sold it a few years ago and were looking at a 33' Ranger down in CT but then found this Macgregor in Kittery ME and I bought it on sight! Tow it wherever, whenever we can. Set it up and we're off! My wife's favorite part is that I can't take her across the Atlantic in it! Good luck in your search! There are PLENTY of trailerables out there! Marcus in NH also

C

Carl

Sloop rigging is important

You know, I think the difference someone mentioned between a Laser or Sunfish and a sloop rigged day sailor is important. Yes, it's quite true that learning on either a Sunfish or Laser is great (if you can learn to sail on of those, you can sail anything--my 31 ft. cruiser is far easier to sail than a Laser). However, if your aim is to move up in size, then the purchase of a sloop rigged day sailier might very well be the best way to go. Why not learn how to handle a jib and main right from the start? Plus, they tend to be beamier and more stable vessels. And, you can sail them earlier in the spring and later into the fall since you won't be sitting in the water (as you will in either a Sunfish or Laser). Lastly, you can bring the spouse and/or kids along for the ride which means you'll feel less guilty going out and you'll wind up sailing a lot more! Oh yeah, don't get fooled by the idea that a Sunfish or a Laser is a one-man, roof top kind of boat either. I know that there were sales people who tried to convince me of that but it's not so (and I'm 6'1" 220 lbs.) I thought I might go that route as my first boat because I could just throw it on top of the car and drive out to the lake whenever I wanted to. Wrong! Ever try to lift one of those onto a car by yourself? That's why I first sailed on Lasers but bought a used Capri 14.2 (a really great boat that I still love to sail!). I keep it at the lake and drive out for a sail whenever I'm in the mood (usually with my wife and two small kids in tow). So right from the start, sailing was a family activity rather than only a solitary pleassure. Not a small consideration for folks like me with a young family.

P

Patti Polk

I learned on a lightning

I learned to sail on a lightning, 19ft. daysailer. It is very stable but will turn over if you really screw up. By learning on a small boat, you see the results of sail trim and steering immediately. The lightning is a popular boat for racing and a good used one as well as someone to show you the ropes should be available. I know a lot of people who started to sail larger boats from the start who don't have a clue about sail trim.

J

Jim Russell

Water and wind makes the choice

While all the answers are valid, the water in which the sailing is done is the key. No use taking a 16 footer onto water that consistently has large waves, and conversely no use taking a 40 footer with consistently very light winds.

R

Rich

Depends on future sailing plans

I think this depends on how you plan to sail in the future. Hobie Cats on inland water or Keel boats across the Atlantic. Different knowlege is required for each. I started with ASA courses. My goal was never anything other than larger keel boats. They started me on a 22 foot Capri keelboat with a tiller (great for really getting that "feel") I graduated through all of their courses and feel comfortable sailing anything up to about 60 feet. If keelboats weren't my goal I would have gone a different way to learn the appropriate skill sets.

R

Rob Rich

What I wouldn't Recommend - But am Glad I did!

I cut my teeth on a Prindle 16 Catamaran. I loved it so much, I never got rid of it. It crouches sullenly under my carport now, remebering days when I sailed it more than my C-27 - but I still like to take it out. What a great, incredibly fast, overly responsive and insanely fun boat to sail. This boat is even fun to capsize. Ever sailed a boat so hard that your vessel "sang" from vibration? Ever embarrassed a $500k sailboat by passing it at double or triple its top speed? As a first boat, a catamaran will teach you how to become a master at tacking due to its construction. It nearly comes to a stop during a tack, and generally requires full backwinding of the jib to make it swing through the eye of the wind. Extremely stable at low speeds, a beginner can feel safe with an instructor. However, getting these guys slowed down can be a chore. I think a boat in the 16 to 20 foot range is the best to learn on because it is bigger than a sunfish, but small enough to flip easily. One capsize will earn the boat the respect of its ham-handed captain. In the meantime, the helmsman gets a feel for having some fibreglass out there in front of him - a feeling you don't quite get on a 12-14 foot boat.

J

Jim McCue

Schumacher- smaller is better

I started on a Prindle 18 catamaran. Didn't know anything and it was a lot of sail and "instant response" for a novice weighting 150 lbs. Did the "tinkerbell" and pitchpoled (hard knocks). From there I moved to Oday19, Oday 23 (Bay Sailing) and H28.5. It appeared that each larger boat was more ....forgiving (slower moment of response ) and I learned to finesse the character/moment of each. But the catamaran sailing in the Atlantic off Spring Lake to Monmouth Beach NJ was like... do it (reasonably) right or I'll dump you immediately. I still love that Catamaran for instant gratification. Sheeted in tight, an inch or 2 one way or the other on the rudder extension made the difference as to how you controlled all that sail power.... or got wet. Jim McCue

D

Don Alexander

All Sizes

Hi all, To become a good automobile driver I believe that at age 10 one needs to start on roller skates, graduate to a scooter then on to a 20" wheel bike, followed by a regular bicycle and on to a motorcycle, then a car - next try towing a trailer and on to a truck. Same with boats. Done it all am still learning. Regards, Don

P

Pete

Wish me luck

I learned to sail on a small 9'center board two man sailer. Now I had spent two years throwing the rig in the back of my truck after school and just going out and learning on my own. The only time I ran into is when I ran out of wind. Now my wife and I just bought a used catalina 22. And i don't know a single person who sails around here. The previous owner has no time to take me out. And none of my friends sail. I belive I am going to do ok. So wish us luck on our new voyage. I had many hours on that small boat and I loved every minute of it. I believe it is going to pay off learning on that small boat.

M

Michael Garner

Match Speed To Experience

The boat size is not as important as the maturity of the sailor--within reasonable limits. The beginning sailor must recognize his limitations and not push to far to fast beyond those limitations.

M

Michael Garner

Match Speed To Experience

The boat size is not as important as the maturity of the sailor--within reasonable limits. The beginning sailor must recognize his limitations and not push to far to fast beyond those limitations. I learned on dinghy's, laser's, sunfish--then moved into a 25' Rainbow--then moved into a sailing club of 27' to 36' Cape Cory's, Hunter's and Seidleman. When I moved into the larger boats, I applied the same basics but with greater caution. It took some time--learning curve--to feel out the vessel and my reactions. When I was in a crowded area, I lowered sail and motored. (I could react in time for the expected manuevering of others but not in time for the manuevering of those who could not handle their own boat!) When the breeze picked up I planned my sail changes to fit my abilities and that of my crew. I love to sail. It's about fun and challenge and I love the water. So whatever the size of the boat, learn continuously. Maximize fun by demonstrating competence.

S

Sailboats.com Editorial

Final results

Final results for the Quick Quiz ending 1/15/2001: Should novice sailors learn on small or large boats? Hunter owners: 44% 19' or less 39% 20' to 29' 06% 30' to 39' 02% 40' plus Catalina owners: 45% 20' to 29' 18% 19' or less 18% 30' to 39' 18% 40' plus Oday owners: 52% 20' to 29' 29% 19' or less 10% 30' to 39' 04% 40' plus Beneteau owners: 39% 20' to 29' 33% 19' or less 14% 30' to 39' 06% 40' plus Macgregor owners: 47% 20' to 29' 38% 19' or less 04% 30' to 39' 04% 40' plus

Status
Not open for further replies.