What's the best size for a novice?

• Thread starter SailboatOwners.com editorial
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SailboatOwners.com editorial

We all agree that prospective cruisers -- local, coastal, or blue water -- should learn to sail first. But what's the best boat size to use as the classroom? Should a sailor learn to sail on a dinghy, a trailerable, a pocket cruiser, or the real deal? Does size really matter? Share your lessons here, then vote in the week's Quick Quiz at the bottom of the home page.

R

Ron Parkes

A Colgate 26 Was Ideal For Me

As a former "armchair" sailor (it was easier and certainly cheaper to sail while sitting in a recliner and reading Cruiing World), I elected to attend a basic course at Offshore Sailing School in Captiva, FL. They use Colgate 26s - a medium sized, very open, tillered boat with reasonable sail area, no GPS, no diesel, no in-mast furling, no microwave, etc. It was ideal from a training standpoint because it put in close touch with theory. The instructors were also excellent! As a new owner of a Hunter 320, I was able to then apply those lessons to a larger, wheel type sailboat - which I dearly love. I would have lost some of the down and dirty knowledge had I gone directly to lessons on a 380, for example. By the way, I am going back this Spring for a bareboat cruising course - on a 380! Ron Parkes s/v Contemplation

B

Bob Patrick

Hunter 320 For Me

We started out last summer with a new Hunter 320. Didn't want to have to worry about trading up after learning. After all, your always learning, so why not do it on something you'll have around for awhile. Buy as much as you feel comfortable with.

K

Kenneth Pfaff

Rainbow

I attended a 2 day sailing class on the Hudson river and they uses 23ft Rainbow. It has a large cockpit, so with 4 students and a teacher it wasn't crowded.

W

Wes Wright

Learn on the type you will sail

I feel that one should learn to sail on the type boat they plan to keep sailing on. I learned to sail on centerboard boats as a kid. I was totally hooked, and lived to "go fast" Over the years my interest in fast boats was replaced by fast cars. It was not until a move to Virginia, that my interst in sailing was again renewed. My wife and I took leasons on a 22' keelboat before purchasing a 27'Catalina. The old adage of them all being the same (the wind blows the sail,they go) is not true. A keelboat, I found, handles a lot differently than a racing dingy. And the longer they are, more differently they handle. If you plan to do most of your sailing on a keelboat, then that is what you should learn on. We now own a 2001 320 Hunter, and can not wait for the weather to warm up a bit so we can be back under sail.....

B

Brad Williams

Like anything, it depends.

I think you learn on the smallest boat as possible. I say small because bigger boats are somewhat forgiving -- and you possibly don't even realize you made a mistake for about 30 seconds or so (inertia, etc.) Now, by small I don't necessarily mean a sunfish -- but something similarly rigged to what you plan to sail -- say, a sloop for example. Get the basics of what sail changes are necessary depending on the wind. Once you've got figured out, the bigger boat will be easier....except when it comes to docking. You want to learn how to dock, practice on the boat. Brad

T

tom mcnamara

i am a nut

i am 70 and up until 1999 i was a trawler man, but always admired and wanted to sail. so we bought a new 450 with all the goodies.took some small lessons and of course everybody was going to show me the ropes[no way]. so come vacation time we left motoring in long island sound.i was afraid of making a fool of myself until we left matituck and the engine stopped. it was a miserable day,full bimini top thank god, and that is how i applied what i had learned. i believe a person should familerize himself on a 23 ft and the 450 will take care of itself.i have a lot to learn and thats when im heading south,we live aboard and this boat is great with all its room and automatic gajets. i even sailed thru the hellgate and down the east river, that takes guts for seaman duece. by the way i sail it alone and she is good for nuttin

C

Carl

Day Sailor and Lessons

I went from no sailing experience to a 14 ft. day sailor and found it pretty easy to learn how to sail by reading a few books and applying the basics out on a lake. I'm not too sure I would have gone right to a bigger boat out on the ocean as a first start. After a few years of noodling around and literally learning the ropes out on a lake in a 14ft day sailor, I took a couple ASA sailing courses and then boat a 31ft cruiser. I think it takes some time to get your feet wet and learn the ropes (which is easy if you're in non-threatening waters in a small boat that's easy to handle) but that's not to say others might feel more comfortable jumping right in to a larger boat.

L

Larry Watkins

Best size to learn on

I'm an advocate of learning to sail on a small boat. It puts you closer to the water and the effects of your actions are immediate and the lessons are learned very quickly. You become more aware of the wind and water and the need to plan ahead, (don't sail down that channel unless you can short-tack out). I learned on a Windmill 16, a light, narrow racer with a lot of sail area. It was like learning to drive in a Ferarri, but I learned quick, then graduated to a Catalina 22, a Catalina 30, and now own a Beneteau 40. I'm convinced my small boat experience helped tremendously and would reccommend the same to anyone who wanted to learn to sail. Docking and handling a boat under power are different skills that you must practice when you move up in size.

L

LaDonna Bubak - CatalinaOwners

36' & 27'

I count having learned on both cuz I first learned to sail on my parents 36' boat. But I was really only crew & didn't do all that much. Many years later bought my C27 - on which I had to RELEARN how to sail. My mom wanted me to start out with a 22 or smaller. For some reason she was really nervous about me getting a larger boat. But I knew I didn't want such a small boat - I wanted standing headroom & living space. I also didn't want to shell out an extra $10K for a truck to pull the thing! So the 27 was it for me - room to weekend and fun to sail. LaDonna

M

Mike I

Start Small

I have to agree with Larry and Carl, start small. I believe that it is important to know WHY something happens, not just the results. I learned on a 16.5 Capri, two lessons in the harbor and the rest out in the coastal waters, so I was able to learn a bit of seamanship. Besides learning how to move a boat without a motor, it's also necessary to know how to read the wind and the water, and get used to other boats around you, and the rules of the road. It's easier if you're sailing a $1000 daysailor than a $30,000 coastal cruiser. Many people will get scared off if they have to start handling a 30 footer with 150% genoa. I know there are those who will say "yeah, well I learned on a 53 foot Kagiyafo yawl and I did OK...", maybe so, but that's like saying they learned to drive in a 3 axel KW with a two stick Brownie. Just M.H.O.

J

Justin - O'day Owners' Web

I agree with the dinghy crowd

I thinks its important to have the immediate response of a dink at first to allow the student to associate what the boat does with control movements. I think the immediacy of the results tends to coax students into smaller control inputs which inturn keeps them from overcontrolling and getting behind the boat. At the same time, unless the pupil is very good natured and the water is warm, a good teaching boat ought not to roll over too easily. Darcy, my partner, took an intensive sailing class last summer. The boat she learned in was a Yngling. Now that I've sailed one, I think its perfect. It reacts quickly enough, but is a true keelboat and impossible to capsize in any conditions appropriate for teaching. Justin - O'day Owners' Web

R

Randy

Start small, then try all sizes

Starting small makes sense. Handling a Sunfish or Laser for example, in protected water is relatively safe, and still offers a great learning experience. After mastering the basics, though, I believe that sailing many different boats in varying conditions helps one become an expert. Someone who has spent time (even a lot of time) sailing only a Sunfish will feel out of touch on a 35 footer. The reverse is also true. A sailor who has spent a lot of time aboard many different types of boats usually has acquired a good working knowledge of how boats interact with the wind and the waves. Randy

S

Sharky

Start small

Start small. I learjned how to sail at hte young age of 7. They were on seagulls,lasers and my uncles wooden 19 foot keelboat. I was also a seascout and all their boats were small. My first boat was a 22 footer and have since owned a 28 and 36. Having sailed small boats without motors taught me instincts only experienced through this method. I can sail my 36 into a harbor without panic. This would only have been possible with the feel of what the wind and current will do to my boat. the attribute this to my small boat sailing. Mistakes also cost less for a $1000 dollar laser than a 36 foot Catalina.

T

tim

if you really want to learn

i started on an 18ft cabin boat and moved up in boat size a few feet at a time. but i really didnt learn to sail well until i bought a laser 10 years after i started sailing. to me it is not as relaxing as a cabin boat but your skill improve exponentially. i was really suprised at the difference in my learning curve. i also credit racing both crewing and skipper as the BEST way to learn to sail well. i agree with the otheres who indicate a lack of a motor will definitely improve your skill. there is a difference between sailing the boat around and sailing the boat to its rating. a really good sailor can make the boat move to its rating whenever he wants to . that doesnt mean ALL the time but its there if necessary. by the way if you cant sail the boat backwards (reverse) ,better get practicing!

Jan 22, 2003
Hunter 25_73-83 Burlington NJ
Training-wheels boat choice.

Sunfish. Even simpler than a Laser and when you get good you can really SAIL it, not like some silly plastic dinghy. A Sunfish is also significantly cheaper than a racing Optimist, which otherwise would be good for teaching children under 14. I taught myself sailing at 15 in a Sunfish. At that level it is almost a harmless boat. I got pretty good at it very quickly. JC

C

Cam Whetstone

There is no right answer

I learned to sail after buying a used 22-footer. The previous owner (my neighbor) went out with me two or three times and then I was on my own. Once you get beyond the basics, though I think you should learn on the boat you will be sailing. The three 22's I have owned are nothing like a 28 to 37 foot cruiser. There was a feel I got from the little boats that was not apparent on the bigger one. Sort of like the difference between a Cessna 150 and a 707. The best bet is to go to a school and learn what they teach on whatever they have to teach on. Cam

L

Larry

Sunfish

If you can master a Sunfish under varing conditions,keep from capsizing by a quick stand on the board,etc.your on your way to being a salior. The larger boat is the same except more weight and you have more reaction time. However,small mistakes in a Sunfish are big ones in a large sailboat-----

J

John

Daysailer

If you want to learn how to "sail" then a Sunfish or other simple rig (like the Escapes) is great. If you want to learn how to sail to prepare for a bigger boat, then a sloop rig is a good idea - Flying Scot leaps to mind. Also, a Hobie or Prindle Cat would be a good learner and one of the few day sailors that you'll want to keep even if you do buy the cruiser.

M

Marcus

Its the Teacher not the Classroom

My first real experience sailing was in Mission Bay San Diego on a 19' Thunderbird. My boss liked to get liquored up and buzz around the bay stealing windsurfers' wind and dunking them. My next 'real' sailing was hitching a ride on a Swan 44' in Dania FL bound for St. Martin. We went out in a Force 9 (the boat HAD to be registered in St. Martin by 12/31 for tax reasons) and the skipper handled the boat incredibly, sailing in 50kn winds and 25-30 following seas. Had I known any better I would have never set foot on her in that weather, but I can say that despite the poor judgement to sail in those conditions, the skipper was phenomenal and even though we were on deck all day and night trimming and reefing for the 3 days of storm, I learned SO much in the 9 days we were out!

Status
Not open for further replies.