What's one thing on your boat that drives you crazy!

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
I have a Hunter 34 and the one thing that drives me crazy on my boat is the size of opening in the starboard lazarette !
All H34 owners can understand and feel me pain. Whoever designed this tiny opening had to be the size of a six year old child, and had to be a contortionist to fit into what I call the dungeon. After you get into it you are not comming out. Every year I find myself having muster the courage to get into it at least once or twice.

What one thing on your boat that is a poor design and drives you crazy? And it can't be the first mate! That's to easy

Jul 13, 2010
Precision 23 Perry Hall,Baltimore County
Cockpit drains. 2 lttle schedule 40 tubes poked out through the transom. Have to clean out and reseal around them every spring. Should have been true thru- hulls. Precision 23.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I have too much stuff running through the bilge area where my shaft and stuffing box are...refrigeration hoses for the fridge, holding tank inlet and outlet hoses, engine exhaust hose, thru-hull and strainer for head water intake and thru-hull and strainer for engine cooling water...makes keeping this area clean and working on the stuffing box a pain.

IMG_0053.jpg

But...I like cold beer, and having a toilet, so I guess I will keep the mess.

Greg

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Hey, Capt Robbie, can you use black instead of light blue for your font color? Does that count as a gripe? heh, heh.;)

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
The instrument panel for the engine on my Bene323 is located in the sidewall of the starboard lazarette at the cockpit floor. You cannot read the gauges without practically getting on hands and knees, and it would be easy to kick the key and break it off in the switch. Dumbest possible location, fortunately Beneteau moved it in later models, but still in an awkward location.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
You cannot read the gauges without practically getting on hands and knees, and it would be easy to kick the key and break it off in the switch.
This happened on a friend's boat. He found the pop top from a beer can worked quite well as a key. And he has virtually and endless supply of keys. ;):beer:

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
it would be easy to kick the key and break it off in the switch.
Have you ever wondered why there is a key to start your boat and not just a start button or a toggle stitch? Would seem much more efficient than a key in a place where you can break it off.

Boat designs are compromises. Too often the little inconveniences are only discovered after you get the boat and the WOW factor of getting “a boat” begins to wear off. The now I own a boat begins. The “damn I need to fix that annoying thing” feeling occurs and reoccurs till you either change it or begin to look for a new boat.

And the cycle of boat life begins again.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
If I had a gripe, it would be my mainsheet system. My traveler is deck mounted. I can't always get a quick release or cleat from the helm when tacking. If I adjust it for easier release, then cleating is harder, And vice versa. Can't find the sweet spot

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
If I had a gripe, it would be my mainsheet system. My traveler is deck mounted. I can't always get a quick release or cleat from the helm when tacking. If I adjust it for easier release, then cleating is harder, And vice versa. Can't find the sweet spot
For this reason, I have long tails on the traveller control line. I can reach them from the helm.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
The port side lazaret lid, big and heavy with no lift assist on it, you have to tie it with a bungie cord when accessing anything stored in this very large area, the same issue exists with the chain locker at the bow but this one is not as heavy.
Can it be only one thing? as I have a list of things...........

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
I also have a Hunter 34 and yes, the dungeon is dangerous. I never go in unless someone is with me. The H34 is imperfect. The other issue is the very high forward berth. Getting up in the middle for the night is risky.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I also have a Hunter 34 and yes, the dungeon is dangerous. I never go in unless someone is with me. The H34 is imperfect. The other issue is the very high forward berth. Getting up in the middle for the night is risky.
a bedpan might take care of that :biggrin: