What's one thing on your boat that drives you crazy!

Nov 6, 2019
Marshall 15 Catboat Lafayette, LA
Have a catboat ----- the boom goose neck is to low blocks most of my forward view on one side.

------> Two blonds were walking down the bayou one on each side --- one said to the other how do I get to the other side? Other blond said stupid you are already on the other side. Might get in trouble but (lol) --- blonds on a sailboat? ? ?

Jan 4, 2013
Catalina 270 Rochester, NY
The instrument panel for the engine on my Bene323 is located in the sidewall of the starboard lazarette at the cockpit floor. You cannot read the gauges without practically getting on hands and knees, and it would be easy to kick the key and break it off in the switch. Dumbest possible location, fortunately Beneteau moved it in later models, but still in an awkward location.
I had this problem my Catalina. I used this as an excuse to buy a new chart plotter and created a NMEA 2000 network to display my engine data on the chart plotter.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
My Catalina 320 has stern seats on both sides of the helm and the seat opens into a locker on both sides. The previous owner mounted cockpit speakers in such a manner that the seats clip the plastic speaker covers (on both sides!) and the covers have been destroyed. I don't need the speakers, but I don't have any desire to do the work to close the holes, either. One of the holes is directly into the aft berth. I plan to replace the speakers, but I would have to cut the holes to the outside diameter of the speaker covers so they can be recessed into the fiberglass. :facepalm: And then I would have to seal the joint somehow.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
going down to the boat and finding it covered with that black speckled mildew in the crevises of the awl grip. That and the speckled rust stains from when I cut a couple pieces of all thread in the cockpit and wasn't thinking (it happens quite a bit)

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
The port side lazaret lid, big and heavy with no lift assist on it, you have to tie it with a bungie cord when accessing anything stored in this very large area, the same issue exists with the chain locker at the bow but this one is not as heavy.
Can it be only one thing? as I have a list of things...........
I added a gas strut to support the lid on my Bene323. That makes it easier to lift and the strut prevents it from slamming shut accidentally. The struts are easy to find in auto parts stores and are available in varying stroke length and weight capacity. (These are the same struts that you find on hoods and deck lids of cars).There are stainless steel struts as well at a price.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
@DougM I am considering this addon, Granger and McMaster Carr have a great selection of gas shocks, this is where I purchased the upgrade to the booms rod kicker allowing me to repurpose the topping lift. I am concerned though on what the mounting of said gas shock will do over time to the mounting locations, unless of course I glass in some blocks onto the existing surfaces where the shock would mount.

Last edited:

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
We often sail to anchor. We drop the main, reef the Yankee and yet the old girl will charge into the anchorage at 7+ knots, in the flat water. Every time we tack, we roll in more jib, but she doesn't want to really slow down until that jib is handkerchief size.
It's not that I mind really, it's more that it freaks out those who see us coming, not knowing if we can really sail or not.