What's going on with Marlow-Hunter?

Oct 13, 2016
Hunter 33 Kingston
I went to the Annapolis Sailboat Show last week and there were no Hunters to be seen. The rumour was that Marlow wants to sell direct and bypass the dealer network and things aren't going well with the company.

Anyone hear anything?

KD3PC

Sep 25, 2008
boatless rainbow Callao, VA
After decades as the top Hunter dealer...Norton's Yacht in Deltaville (used to be the top hunter dealer, etc, etc) no longer mentions Hunter on their web page??

No mention of any changes?

Jan 11, 2004
Hunter 31_83-87 Middle River, MD
Rumor I heard at the sailboat show was that Hunter may not be in business much longer.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Marlow seems like a pretty smart business guy. Assuming the economics of sailboat manufacturing in the US still work, I suspect he'll find a way to make a reasonable return. Going direct to consumer is certainly an option (look at Tesla) but there will have to be flawless factory support and far greater pre-delivery work. Will be interesting to see how it plays out. He has a lot of skin in the game so it's not like it's easy to walk away.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
There's a lot more truth than humor in my two favorite boating industry "axioms:"

If I'd known the boating business was this much fun, I'd have brought a LOT more money.
How do you make a million $$$ in the boating business? Start with $2 million and get out quick!

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
While the direct to consumer model has merit, skipping opportunity for the manufactures to meeet the consumers at the major boat shows is suicide. If boats are not at (non existent) dealers, and you don't go to shows, how do you expect to generate interest?? A web-site only goes so far.

I know Hunter used local dealer-bound boats at shows in the past; maybe this part of the new model has hit them.

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
They weren't at Newport, either, and we heard the same rumor - really bad news...

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I just checked the list of boat "brand" exhibitors at the St. Petersburg boat show in December (I'll be there promoting my new book, btw)...no Hunter on that list either.

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Who would put down a deposit on a new boat from a builder with so many questions and drama about its future? If they had a plan it should have been executed before the rumors started.

Bob R.

Jun 5, 2004
Marlow-Hunter 40 Pasadena, MD
I went to the Annapolis Boat Show to talk with Marlow Hunter about purchasing a new MH40 or the new MH42 that was supposed to be introduced at the show. I spoke with Greg Emerson at the Hunter Chesapeake Rendezvous in June. He said that they would have a new dealer representative for the Chesapeake Bay before the boat show and gave us a preview of the new MH42 that was supposed to be introduced at the show. I would really like to know what happened. I am now looking at the Catalina 425, Jeanneau 419 and Beneteau 41.1.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
At the Newport show there were no Hunters present, nor Catalinas. I was told by one broker that in fact new sailboat sales are way down due to economic conditions. Isn't it funny that some people in DC say the economy is great, but the business man on the street says it sucks.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Beneteau brought 11 boats. Funny thing is, the bigger ones sell better than the smaller.

Oceanis 31, 35, 38, 41, 45, 48, 55, 62
Sense 55
First 20, 35

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Other discussion from the show as well. Annapolis Boat Show

The Hunter dealer in Toronto also closed up this year, but I don't know what the reasoning was.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
New book?
I'm 99% certain you were one of the people who bought a signed copy when sbo.com introduced it in February. If not, someone else in SoCal with a name so similar to yours that I thought it was you got a personalized note meant for you. :)

As long as I have the floor, a wee bit of shameless promotion for it (see link in my signature below)... I will be at the St. Petersburg FL power and sailboat show Dec 1-4. I'm currently scheduled to give 5 seminars over the 4 days...the rest of the time I'll be hanging out in an area they call the "Authors Corner," hopefully selling a few books (signed of course). Would love to put faces with names of some of the FL sbo.com sailors.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
I'm 99% certain you were one of the people who bought a signed copy when sbo.com introduced it in February. If not, someone else in SoCal with a name so similar to yours that I thought it was you got a personalized note meant for you. :)
Oh, THAT book... yup, that was me. I thought maybe you had completed the Great American Novel or 20 Shades of Bottom Paint... ;-)

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
At the Newport show there were no Hunters present, nor Catalinas. I was told by one broker that in fact new sailboat sales are way down due to economic conditions. Isn't it funny that some people in DC say the economy is great, but the business man on the street says it sucks.
Probably the same people that claims inflation is down while the prices have almost doubled since 2008.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
An old man had a hot dog cart and he was doing quite well until his son who had recently graduated from college started telling him how bad the economy was. The old man following his son's advice cut down on the purchase of hot dogs and buns and soon his sales were down and he said to himself, "how right my son was that the economy is in bad shape". If Hunter does not show its boats the economy is certainly going to get worse for them.