Annapolis show

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
That Wauquiez that was seized will be a great score if it goes to auction. It is a totally clean new boat. Most boats auctioned off have bullet holes in them or big holes made by sawzalls.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
What you boys talking about - I was aboard the Wauquiez on Thursday. Nice boat.
Been out sailing since. Rain and then 35 knots N Sunday.

JSumme

Jul 21, 2015
Marlow-Hunter e33 Alexandria
Yep, I heard the same kind of info from the guy who sold me my Hunter. He no longer represents Hunter, either.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
What you boys talking about - I was aboard the Wauquiez on Thursday. Nice boat.
Been out sailing since. Rain and then 35 knots N Sunday.
Around midday Friday we walked past it and it had "US Marshals No Trespassing" signs on either side of the boarding gate. At first I wondered if it was some kind of joke or something, but there were a couple of guys on it closing up the companionway in no joking mood.

JSumme

Jul 21, 2015
Marlow-Hunter e33 Alexandria
Curiouser and curiouser...I got this e-mail from a Bavaria salesman. What's going on with the sailboat industry?

"It is with a very heavy heart that I have to inform you that the relationship between Bavaria Yachts USA and Bavaria Yachtbau GmbH in Giebelstadt, Germany no longer exists.

On October 6th, 2016, ten minutes before the start of the 2016 Annapolis Boat Show, the Mr. Lutz Henkel, the CEO of Bavaria Yachtbau, handed us a termination letter which was effective immediately.

Since Bavaria Yachtbau GmbH has chosen to abandon its commitments to Bavaria Yachts USA, the sole distributor and dealer for the US market for monohull Sailboats, Catamarans and Powerboats, Bavaria Yachts USA is now forced to cease all operations. To be clear, we have been forced out of business. Bavaria Yachtbau GmbH currently has no representation in the United States."

CYQK

Sep 11, 2009
beneteau first 42 kenora
Soooooooo..........
Anyone have a GOOD story from the show?
Don't make me have to break out the painkiller mix
Has to be at least one good story

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Sales have been brisk in the United States for a while, It may appear the European market is making a comeback and possibly Bavaria is going to concentrate on that market and may be focusing there only. Only time will tell if that is correct. If any company really wants to make a come back in this country, entry level small boats is a must so that clientel will graduate to a bigger boat and so on. In addition, older boats should be purchased and rebuilt sold of course a lot less with a profit which is why manufacturers are in business for and then when times are better, concentrate on the new larger boats that is if we get a new President that is bent, bound and determined to turn this country around.
As one fellow said in a private conversation, the only thing that Congress, White House and the candidates have in common, they all graduated from the College of Clowns.

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
So on the lighter side I did buy a new toy there even though I told myself no spending. I got a Standard Horizon HX870 HH with GPS. With the rebate it was 159.00 plus 7.00 shipping. How can you beat that?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Soooooooo..........
Anyone have a GOOD story from the show?
Don't make me have to break out the painkiller mix
Has to be at least one good story
I expected to read about cool new gadgets and great buys at the show. I don't get a feeling that I missed much.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
I always wondered why with a business model based on a) mass Internet discount sales, or b) a chandlery in every coastal town; outfits like Defender or WM would tote a ton of merchandise to boat show to sell it at discount. Seems like an excuse to party in Annapolis ( a fun thing really). The intent of boat show is to showcase the industry, get lookie-lou on your boat and make a contact; or show your trade flag and demonstrate your products and services. It is important to me to see and touch the stuff I see in trade mags or on the Internet, and get the measure of the people making and selling the stuff. I always learn something from some unbelievably savvy salt that makes me glad I stopped by the show. No different this year when I was schooled by the Marlow rope rep about proper line purchase and set up. Or my options for rigid vang upgrades. Boat show represents the coming together of a lot of sailboat system expertise and a great opportunity to learn. I can buy some shoes and a foulweather jacket anytime.

Thursday was as busy as any Thursday show day I have ever seen. And I was pleased to see a lot of entry level boats being shown. Anyone see that Chris White 21ft tri kit boat rocket? How about the Maine Cat 30?

RE: Bavaria; something is rotten in the fatherland. It wasn't just the USA dealer who got his walking papers - Bavaria has terminated their reps in Germany, Norway and Spain in a similar abrupt manner. Not how I would have done it.

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
Both Bavaria and Wauquiez had legal issues. I don't know to what extent but you could not go on either brand and no representatives were at the show for either brand. According to Dave Marlow there is going to be new policy in place for Marlow-Hunter dealers, the boats were'nt ready and Greg went to greener pastures of his own volition. I try to take a man at his word. If he's selling snake oil he'll usually talk himself into abox. As with all things time will tell. The 47 is on my short list. We will see if I still want it after I take it for a sail. Extremely disappointed that I need to fly to Fla. to do so as I had a room booked for Sunday through Wednesday anticipating a sail on both the Seaward 45 and the M-H 47 both of which were no shows. It's a long winter and Fla. has mild weather so we'll see but I have retained a broker to look at the market for vessels that meet my needs and may circumvent all this drama by buying a used boat.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Uncledom;
I was already aware of a lot of things but thank you for confirming that Greg Emerson is no longer at Marlow Hunter and it is disappointing that Hunter was not represented at Annapolis this year. It will be interesting if Marlow Hunter survives. As a former Hunter dealer, it is sad no one I knew from the old sales department is there anymore. If I had the money, I would buy it and reinvigorate the old Hunter Marine. I wish Greg success in his future along with Julie, John and others I knew and respected most highly to include an old friend of mine who use to run the warranty department, Eddie Breeden. They made Hunter a great company whom I respected a lot.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Uncledom;
I was already aware of a lot of things but thank you for confirming that Greg Emerson is no longer at Marlow Hunter ....
Ah, that makes sense. The M-H Facebook page had regular updates; now it's silent. Last post August 25th. Watching this industry is like watching a slow motion train wreck. Maybe as (or if) Millennials begin to marry, have kids and become grounded, it will rebound.

CYQK

Sep 11, 2009
beneteau first 42 kenora
Starting to regret making this post been three years but we always enjoyed the show
Can still easily come up with many good stories about what we did what we bought and what we ate and on and on
And now i have to wait for millenials to get grounded?
OMG
Usually grounded and sailboat stories are not happy ones
How about this one
On Sunday it was raining cats and big dogs the folks at the outside pussers bar looked like they were at a funeral. So I went up and gave them a two hundred dollar deposit on painkillers!!!
Wasn't long before all of them new my name and we had a great time changed the name to rainkillers and downed twelve of them.By the way i am not a big drinker but it worked
Note:to much pineapplejuice and orange juice is much worse for your system than rum was
OK your turn!!!

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Curiouser and curiouser...I got this e-mail from a Bavaria salesman. What's going on with the sailboat industry?

"It is with a very heavy heart that I have to inform you that the relationship between Bavaria Yachts USA and Bavaria Yachtbau GmbH in Giebelstadt, Germany no longer exists.

On October 6th, 2016, ten minutes before the start of the 2016 Annapolis Boat Show, the Mr. Lutz Henkel, the CEO of Bavaria Yachtbau, handed us a termination letter which was effective immediately.

Since Bavaria Yachtbau GmbH has chosen to abandon its commitments to Bavaria Yachts USA, the sole distributor and dealer for the US market for monohull Sailboats, Catamarans and Powerboats, Bavaria Yachts USA is now forced to cease all operations. To be clear, we have been forced out of business. Bavaria Yachtbau GmbH currently has no representation in the United States."
Yes Bavaria has a problem. Its called Hanse.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
For anyone wondering about why the Waquiez boat was seized, see http://www.mdd.uscourts.gov/Opinions/Opinions/Fawzy v. Wauquiez MEMO AND ORDER.pdf. I am not a lawyer, but it looks to me like a buyer of a previous Waquiez yacht was suing the company due to quality/warranty issues. The plaintiff got a court to declare that per maritime admiralty law the boat could be seized. Seems like subsequently a court has ordered the boat be released, but no damages provided to Waquiez for having the boat locked up during the show.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Curious, the guy had a contract / warranty issue with Wauquiez in France on a French boat and used U.S. Federal Courts to sanction Wauquiez.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
For anyone wondering about why the Waquiez boat was seized, see http://www.mdd.uscourts.gov/Opinions/Opinions/Fawzy v. Wauquiez MEMO AND ORDER.pdf. I am not a lawyer, but it looks to me like a buyer of a previous Waquiez yacht was suing the company due to quality/warranty issues. The plaintiff got a court to declare that per maritime admiralty law the boat could be seized. Seems like subsequently a court has ordered the boat be released, but no damages provided to Waquiez for having the boat locked up during the show.
Huh. This Fawzy guy seems like a real idiot.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Curious, the guy had a contract / warranty issue with Wauquiez in France on a French boat and used U.S. Federal Courts to sanction Wauquiez.
I bet he got somebody's attention. Sometimes that's what is needed. Not saying he is right, but insanity is to keep doing what you've always done and expect a different result.