What type of foam to use

Feb 25, 2014
MacGregor Yachts Corp. (USA) 23 SAN JUAN
AFTER 24HR SOAKING ON THE POOL HERE IS MY CONCLUSION

Salt water is more dense than fresh water because salt water has more mass than fresh water. According to the formula of density, it's D=m/V. D is the density, m is the mass, and V is the volume. The more mass and less volume, the more dense the "solution" is. The less mass and more volume, the less dense the "solution" is.

back to the foam... I just test the three FOAM boards that i got (two close cell, one semi-open cell) this are my findings

all three FOAM blocks hold flotation, even the open cell, I use 2 concrete blocks to hold the FOAM in place

the open cell was the most water absorbed during this test with a drying period of two hours +

So...im going to use the close cell for the lower compartments and the open cell to some walls and upper side pockets

remember, im not saying that im safe with this foam, im just saying that its better than the emptiness i have now

Now i will start craving FOAM... ohhh Joy!!! :|

sunman

Jul 29, 2009
Mac Mac 26D Suwannee
rhh foam systems inc.
sales@rhhfoamsystems.com
1 800 657 0702
they sell complete self contained idiot froof systems for the DIY or pro boat bilder
spray it on and wala.
ck'em out or give'em a call, this should answer the Q in the future for all who have need of foam flotation vs blocks or cutting and fitting
u may be the closest ull ever be to floating on a cloud

sunman

Jul 29, 2009
Mac Mac 26D Suwannee
no flotation

Hey Sumner, U gutted ur 26 up frnt and installed water jugs and made plenty of mods in the bow V berth area, what did ya do w/ur flotation

Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN
The current Sail magazine has a page on this subject. Might be worth looking at it if you're interested.