What type of foam to use

Nov 5, 2014
MacGregor 25 St Marks FL
A previous owner of my Mac25 removed much of the interior foam flotation. I would like to replace. Does anyone know a good (and hopefully cheap) source of suitable foam to use for this purpose? Should I be looking at securing it in place? or just cram it in wherever I can? I know I should try to avoid filling her with water in the first place, but knowing that she was designed to stay afloat when so filled is comforting.

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
you can often get free blocks of styrofoam from northern tool. they use it to ship trailers. I would put it in large plastic bags. its kinda noisy and sheds

better is the closed cell foam. those blue sheets at home depot.

stay away from great stuff its open cell foam and will hold water if given a chance, and can smell.

Feb 25, 2014
MacGregor Yachts Corp. (USA) 23 SAN JUAN
i have the same problem, got a VN23 1977 without any foam...

i have the idea of using this inner tire tubes for flotation ($35)

also found in HD this foam boards ($23)

currently im thinking which way to go

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
this is why "stay away from great stuff its open cell foam and will hold water if given a chance, and can smell."

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
I looked these foams up on Amazon before I posted anything and some spray foam is closed cell and waterproof. These are used for construction sealing purposes and if they smelled for any length of time would not be used I would think. I have used this type of foam and it worked fine. It is not messy once dried. Chief

Nov 26, 2012
Yes, for flotation foam replacement way up in bow, other small cavities that had foam decaying and I removed. Placing loose foam panels in boats takes up much room. I have used spray can foam for many different applications for years. All these problems with it is news to me! It does need to be closed cell. ????? Chief

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
It just seems so final to me, I guess. Wiring issues come to mind, but I suppose there are ways around that.

Nov 26, 2012
I havn't tried to remove the fresh sprayed in foam but the old foam breaks up with a big screwdriver and just take it out a piece at a time. Cover your wiring so it won't stick to it.
Chief

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
I havn't tried to remove the fresh sprayed in foam but the old foam breaks up with a big screwdriver and just take it out a piece at a time. Cover your wiring so it won't stick to it.
Chief
Or conduit?

Nov 26, 2012
Sure, or plastic pipe,flexible tubing or whatever you have available. Make sure it is closed cell used for sealing and insulating walls. Of course, test it first as we do many times on our projects. Enjoyed talking with you this winter! Chief

prob

Aug 27, 2010
Macgregor 26D N.E. AL
I think if I were to use the spray type foam, I would first line the area with a heavy duty garbage bag, and spray the foam into the bag. That way, it won't adhere to the fiberglass, and would be a little easier to remove.

Nov 26, 2012
prob: Good idea, then you could lightly glue it in place after it sets up so you could then remove it with little hassle. Chief

Aug 22, 2011
MacGregor Venture V224 Cheeseland
LOL: Guys - its spray foam, nothing that a jab saw a scraper and a little will won't remove....

Nov 19, 2011
MacGregor 26S Hampton, VA
I think if I were to use the spray type foam, I would first line the area with a heavy duty garbage bag, and spray the foam into the bag. That way, it won't adhere to the fiberglass, and would be a little easier to remove.
This is how our parts department packages compressors for shipping. Not a bad idea but once it's shaped, you still have to get it out someday, but it can be broken up in the bag and not sticking.

I sort of like that idea of going to northern tool and asking for the styrofoam blocks they use for shipping the trailers.

Nov 26, 2012
The problem with the blocks is they do not form fit and take up much more room for the same flotation rating. Chief