What to leave aboard for the winter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 30, 2013
Lancer 36 Lake of the Ozarks
I've read that (most) dehumidifiers are not recommended for use below 65-70 degrees F.
Although there are "cold weather" models that will work down to low 40's without frosting up the coils.

Any specific model recommendations, or does anyone heat their cabin to maintain a 65 degree temp while utilizing a dehumidifier in the Winter? Running off shore power so operating cost is not a concern, but the boat will be unattended for no more than two weeks at a time, any recommendations appreciated.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
I take the bulbs of garlic off(usually) and any glass containers that might freeze and break, and that's all.

Seriously, it all depends on the covers weather protection and ventilation here in Maine. I use a heavy plastic tarp on a high A frame that sheds snow and rain. Then I open hatches, leave the companionway open, cockpit hatches, and locker doors below.

An opening forward and aft allows a good flow of ventilation without rain snow(I think ice freezing and thawing works like dozens of tiny pry bars on a glass boat)

I find the boat is at its annual driest, in winter storage but I've been covering it for many years and live nearby so I can keep an eye on it. Covering a boat in Maine is an art that many don't do well.

So as a storage unit for boat stuff, it's ideal.

Dec 13, 2010
Hake 32RK Red Bank
As long as batteries are fully charged and all load is disconnected I'd leave batteries on board. I have always made sure to provide good ventilation on my boats and if you have good air exchange there is no threat of mildew then the cushions can stay though I'd not leave them flat--stand them up. If the boat gets mildewing bring them home along with all towels blankets etc,

Jun 2, 2004
Catalina 400 Muskegon, Michigan
Cleaning out and covering this weekend. Obviously, the battery, fire extinguishers, air horn, all liquids come in the house . Any problem leaving Orego stove aboard?
I used to belong to the "bring everything home" club. Over the years I have gotten less inclined to bring items home. Even cloth items stay onboard, just make sure that they can breathe by propping them up. If you leave the cockpit cushions onboard just make sure that they don't sit against each other (one cushion against another can't breathe). Batteries do best if charged just before storing, then disconnected, and left onboard. Cold batteries hold their charge better than warm batteries, they just don't have as much power available when they are cold, but will come back up to virtually full charge in the spring. Electronics do just fine left onboard. In fact I"m at the point that the only things that go home are small items that are easy to steal and items that I want to use over the winter. Even my solar panel stays onboard, I just slip it into a sleeve and prop it up in the cockpit. I do some special things to prep the boat however. I use calcium chloride pellets in a colander that sits on top of a small waste basket to act as a passive dehumidifier, I put charcoal briquets in every sink (two heads and two in the galley), leave the thru hulls open so air breathes back and forth across the briquets as the boat warms and cools, I leave the ports in the heads open, with a heavy winter cover over the boat (if a little moisture get in the head there's nothing it will hurt anyway) to increase circulation, I leave everything open (doors, cupboards, storage areas, etc.), and I use Kanbera gel to kill mold. I store my boat in Muskegon, Michigan where temperatures can get well below zero several nights over the winter. My latest thing is leaving the roller furling main in the mast. I take the small tail that sticks out and wrap it around the mast externally then wrap it in plastic wrap and tape it in place. This solves the problem with the extrusion banging against the inside of the mast and the extra wear and tear taking it down every season. I'll take it down every other, or every third season and let my sailmaker check it out. Hope this helps!

Gary

May 20, 2013
Catalina 34 Berkeley, CA
We are fortunate we don't have to winterize for San Francisco Bay winters. We have come to realize we enjoy Fall, Winter and Spring on the bay more than the Summers. Those Summer afternoon westerlies seem to arise just about the time we are ready to relax, usually working with a ebb to churn up the bay. Being able to sail all year does spoil us, we can be picky about our days.

On the other hand we are a bit envious of those who have only seasonal sailing opportunities... we all appreciate these luxuries more when they are limited. Having lived and boated many years in the Adirondacks of New York I remember the excitement and anticipation as we awaited the lakes' annual opening.

Sometimes having a boat or cabin becomes a psychological burden. Such a financial commitment almost forces us to use it as often as possible and to forego other experiences. Being forced by weather to take Winter off provides the opportunity to experience other parts of life on Earth without guilt and to really appreciate what we have when we can once again step aboard.

May 21, 2004
Hunter 31_83-87 Milwaukee South Shore Yacht Club
We take everything off the boat. It is like a Spring cleaning except in the Fall. We refurbish stuff over the winter and re-evaluate what we really need on the boat.

PLUS, last Spring our boat was broken into along with half a dozen other boats at Southwind Marine in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. We only lost our flare kit but they opened and left open every single cabinet and drawer on the boat. Others lost lots of valuable stuff. We felt lucky to get off with an $80 replacement bill.

The thieves only entered boats with unlocked companionways or hatches. We have never locked ours in the winter because (1) we live in Milwaukee, (2) We don't leave anything of value on the boat and (3) we have never had any trouble before in 28 years of storing boats over the winter.

Attachments

Nov 18, 2005
Beneteau 323 Brookville, IN
I keep my 323 in the water, with a full cover custom fit cover that still allows the boat to breathe. After completely emptying the perishables, I wash all the sheets towels etc, store them in plactic and prop the cushions up at various abgles to let them breath. I also keep a couple of 25 watt incandescents on in appropriate shields and have been doing that for about 8 years. I pull the boat every 3rd or 4th summer to bottom paint etc. I've never had a problem with mildew and it saves a lot of carting cushions around etc. Even in the water, the bilge stays bone dry which is really key to keeping the moisture level low.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
What's this about sea-cocks? Why would I need to close them? I would think it would be better for drainage. I run "red pop" through all the systems that would have water in them and out through the thru-hulls. Winter - I HATE IT! Capt Bill on STARGAZER
Depends on whether you wet-store or dry-store. If the boat is kept in the water for the Winter, you want to close the thru-hulls to keep water out of the hoses and prevent the problems that would be caused if water froze in the hose and cracked the thru-hull or blew the hose off. It is best to somehow blow or drain any residual water from the hoses and thru-hulls before closing the seacocks, that can be a challenge.... but, is best. Even thru-hulls normally above the waterline can cause problems during winter storage as snow loads push the boat deeper in the water.
One possible exception to this rule is the cockpit scuppers, but if the cockpit has been covered over to keep rain and snow out (as it should be), it should be safe to close the cockpit scupper seacocks. Obviously, bilge pump thru-hulls need to be left open, but if located (as they should be!) up high on the hull side, they will be OK left open (not sure how to keep any residual water from freezing though?).

If your boat is stored on land, then YES, it would be fine and in fact prefered to keep the seacocks open to allow residual moisture to drain off, and provide some ventilation.

bmorr

Apr 5, 2009
Hunter 26 Pueblo Lake CO
Battery

Thanks All. Although the battery is already out, it can live in the shed instead of basement. I have a trickle charger, usually plug it in once a month. Next morning, green "Charged" light is lit, unplug till next time. Usually leave the forward hatch propped open about an inch, big tarp usually has small gaps in each end for air flow.
I pull my battery and charge it the first of each month until launch time. This has worked well for me,

Sep 8, 2013
Beneteau Oceanis 45 Rock Hall, MD
I'm in the same boat of trying to figure out what to leave. I hadn't thought about fire extinguishers.

I love zip lock bags. All of my towels and sheets stay in those new 2 and 3 gallon ziplocks during the season. I can leave them over winter now too. I will put the comforters in the large ziplocks. I will take off liquids for sure. My experience with waxes and polish is that they should also be protected from freezing.

I recently bought a generator at Harbor Freight that will serve as a backup for the house and the occasional charger for the boat. I have a 50 amp service on the boat, but it was easy to find an adapter cable for the 30 amp cable on the generator. I'll bring the truck over and hook it up for a few hours every few months. Cushions will just stay below.

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
Boat winters on the hard; in unheated warehouse last year and again this year; outdoors shrink wrapped w/vents previous seven years.

All food, liquids, sails, clothes and linens come off the boat. Cushions & PFDs stay on boat - turned on edge for air circulation. Lockers are emptied and left open for circulation. Damp-Rid tubs (calcium chloride) in sinks to dehumidify.

Batteries stay on the boat disconnected - fully charged in the fall, seem to hold charge pretty well in cold temps - just recharge in spring. No problems so far.

Dec 29, 2008
Treworgy 65' LOA Custom Steel Pilothouse Staysail Ketch St. Croix, Virgin Islands
Most definitely remove the sails. In Annapolis one January we watched as a squirrel darted in and out from under the sail cover on a boat. I can't imagine what the sail looked like under that cover!

Nov 1, 2013
C&C 25 25 Halifax
Hi Guys,
Just bought my first sail boat and am foggy on what to do about the batter for the winter.
I have a solar powered trickle charger that keeps the battery charged. Should I a) take the battery out completely and put it in my basement for the winter, b) unplug the battery, leave it in the boat, c) leave the battery plugged into the trickle charger for the winter.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
All the best
S.

Nov 24, 2012
If the batteries are in good condition and fully charged no need to pull them. I would disconnect one of the leads to make sure sure you don't have a draw on them during the winter.

Our marina winterizes all of the sailboats their standard practice is to remove the negative wire off of the battery post. We've never had batteries go dead over the winter.

Jun 3, 2004
Oday and Catalina O'Day 25 and Catalina 30 Milwaukee
Winterizing in Wisconsin

I keep my boat at my inlaws farm outside of Milwaukee. Wisconsin has some harsh winters so after getting the diesel winterized I take all the food off and doing a thorough scrubbing. I blow out all the water lines (putting a little bleach in the lines before using the compressor to blow them out so there is some antimold residue), remove batteries, removable water tanks, take the cushion covers off, remove most electronics and then ducttape up the seams on the main hatch to keep mice out. I put in a few of those moisture absorbing canisters that you get for a buck at the dollar store before sealing everything up. The boat sits under tarps from Dec to late March so I get the trailer jacked up so the wheels are off the ground. All in all, it works fine as long as I don't fall off the boat while putting the tarps on. Did that last year and busted some bones. My mantra this year: "Don't fall off the boat; Don't fall off the boat; Don't fall off the boat." So far so good.

Dave
s/v Lagniappe
O'Day 25

Last edited by a moderator:

pogo2

Sep 26, 2008
Newport 30 Mklll North Tonawanda, NY
winter removal things

I leave my 4 batteries on the boat and are connected to an electrical outlet and battery charger for the winter months. all liquids are removed, the solar vent in the V berth is in the exhaust mode, I also put calcium chloride in a knee high stocking, place that in a colander that is placed over a plastic pail, this keeps the condensation down. The boat is covered so I can leave a port open for ventilation as well

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.