What to leave aboard for the winter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 13, 2010
Precision 23 Perry Hall,Baltimore County
Cleaning out and covering this weekend. Obviously, the battery, fire extinguishers, air horn, all liquids come in the house . Any problem leaving Orego stove aboard?

Nov 2, 2010
Precision 28 Ashland, Oregon
No problem. I've left my Origo in the boat for MANY winters. Also leave in batteries, Fire extinguishers and air horn. What can happen to them?? I actually leave my batteries on a trickle charger (and yes I know others might not agree) and have never had any issue. But for sure remove all food, water, etc...

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
The one thing that always goes home with me for the winter are any and all fabric items that can be removed ................... mattresses, cushions, drapes, towels, etc.

The things you've mentioned are the things that stay behind, particularly the batteries as they do best in cold storage. Just make sure they're fully charged if the temp. really drops.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Ralph's right about the batteries. Better for your back, too. :):):)

Others have reported success in leaving their cushions on board, but propped up.

The REAL QUESTION for you is: "How Good is Your Ventilation?" Really. Smaller boats usually don't have dorades and solar ventilators like most larger boats.

If your ventilation is less than primo, take everything off except your batteries and the stove. You could also spray your stove with Boeshield T9 if you choose - good stuff to avoid rust.

The ventilation on our C22 and C25 both ONLY consisted of the slats in the hatch boards, which (even though we don't "winterize" here in San Francisco) made the boat stuffy if left for extended periods (which I tried to avoid by using the boat very often! :)).

Good luck. West Marine Advisors have a good subject on boat ventilation, copied from Nicro's material.

Nov 24, 2012
No problem. I've left my Origo in the boat for MANY winters. Also leave in batteries, Fire extinguishers and air horn. What can happen to them?? I actually leave my batteries on a trickle charger (and yes I know others might not agree) and have never had any issue. But for sure remove all food, water, etc...
I take my fire extinguishers home and rotate them on a regular basis as recommended by manufacturers.

Jul 13, 2010
Precision 23 Perry Hall,Baltimore County
Thanks All. Although the battery is already out, it can live in the shed instead of basement. I have a trickle charger, usually plug it in once a month. Next morning, green "Charged" light is lit, unplug till next time. Usually leave the forward hatch propped open about an inch, big tarp usually has small gaps in each end for air flow.

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
Oh man- reading this makes me so happy I live where I can sail year round, and it doesn't (can I say this word here?) snow. Or freeze. Well, it did snow once 8 years ago, on Christmas Eve. But New Years day was 85. first measurable in 105 yrs.

Good luck- hope nothing gets damaged

Jul 24, 2006
Legnos, Starwind, Regal Mystic 30 cutter, 22 trailer sailor, bow rider NEW PORT RICHEY, FL
I;m with you TSBB! Poor northern sailors. I get the feeling that the website has slowed down with new posts lately? They must be putting up their boats and going into hybernation, or something?

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
At least we northeners don't have barnacles and green hair on the hull to deal with. Besides, some of us either take advantage of the climate for other avocations, or head to a warmer region where friends have boats (hopefully). Two feet of ice in the marina makes it a bit difficult to maneuver.

All kidding aside, I am a little envious of those of you who can take advantage of the weather and sail year around, more power to you...

Mar 30, 2013
Allied Seawind MK II 32' Oologah Lake, Oklahoma
I've still got a few more weeks of not haveing to worry about freeze damaged ballast tank on my 26S. Planning to pull her home the first week of December for about 3 months. :(.

Nov 9, 2008
Pearson-O'Day 290 Portland Maine
Dave,

Sounds like you already did, but make sure you pull your cushions too. Mice love 'em. Sails too. But you already know this. We emptied Sparrow today. Yesterday I rebuilt the frame for her winter blanket. Next weekend, it'll be officially time for the long cold slumber. There are good points and bad points to being a Mainah. This is a bad one. But I have plans to go out on New Years Day we a business aquintance, wet suit required. If you go in during the winter, you can't move in 5 minutes, dead in about an hour. Sounds like a time.

Post pic of your season

Don

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
I only remove what will freeze and break. Cushions are tilted on edge. I have a dedicated solar panel driving several computer fans to keep the boat ventilated even to the extent that the bilge will dry out in the cabin and in the lazerette.

jcb2

Jun 5, 2012
Oday 31 Bayville, NJ
Need battery for pump

I leave my batteries mainly because my bilge pump is connected to them and I want the pump to run if it's needed. I leave some red antifreeze in the bilge but if water builds up I want that pump to do its job!

Feb 21, 2011
Hunter 410 Lorain
What's this about sea-cocks? Why would I need to close them? I would think it would be better for drainage. I run "red pop" through all the systems that would have water in them and out through the thru-hulls. Winter - I HATE IT! Capt Bill on STARGAZER

Oct 15, 2009
catalina 320 Perry Lake
Make sure batteries are topped off and leave everything that can't freeze----vodka etc.

Jan 6, 2013
O'Day 25 25 Chaumont
I used to take my batteries out. Once I found an outlet at my marina that stays hot all winter, I plugged in and I leave my three-bay charger running. The only things that I pull are my sails and any food that can't freeze.

Much better.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
In short nearly everything comes off our boat except lead acid batteries, fire extinguishers and hard mounted electronics..

We remove all cushions, sheets, sails, all soft goods such as dock lines, jackets, anchor rode, anything that can freeze, cleaners, all food, bilge water, tools fenders, all contents of the head medicine cabinet etc. etc....

We have good storage in the barn and it is very dry, better ventilated and leaves the cushions smelling fresh. Removing all this stuff, especially the soft goods, also keeps musty odors down and also helps prevent mold growth. Items that may have salt on them eg: sails, canvas, dock lines etc. etc., if left on board, will simply attract moisture and promote mold and musty odors. You'd be amazed at how much mold grows in the anchor locker when we leave the rope rode in there. I simply drop the rode into an large rubber maid..

Cleaning all this crap off the boat also creates a lot nicer work environment for winter projects.:) In the spring it also forces us to re-load only the items we actually use or need on-board. It is amazing how much accumulates over a season that really does not need to be there.

Jeff

Sep 29, 2008
Hunter 33.5 Carlyle Lake in Central Illinois
Liquids get taken home on our boat but everything else stays aboard. All cushions get a life vest tucked under them and the cabinets and lockers are left open. We plug in a dehumidifier to keep the condensation down. The batteries (4 Grp 31) are on a 3 stage charger. Holding tank was double flushed out and the system winterized. A/C pump winterized. Fresh water system blown out. Engine oil changed and winterized. Bilge pump winterized and I also leave some pink stuff in the bilge. I still have the sails on just in case we have a Gotta-Go-Sailing day in the near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.