What to Do ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 30, 2013
Catalina 27 Jamestown
Due to circumstances, my 1980 Catalina 27 has been out of the water for over 10 years.
Hoping to get it back in the water, I had the Universal 11 Diesel pulled and and sent to a mechanic shop. They discovered that the engine needed $6,700 worth of work to recondition it and to put a new engine in would cost about $7,800. The boat is clean and well equipped but I don't think I want to spend the money and will probably sell or donate the boat. Considering the engine is (unfinished) in one shop and the boat is in another boatyard, what are my options at this point ?

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
its all hindsight now, but when "they" discovered you needed to give them $6700.00, you should have asked around then to see if it really needed "reconditioning"..... if you wernt having major issues with it, it may just have needed some TLC....

an outboard on the transom would be cheaper, but may devalue the boat a little, but if your going to donate, they dont care, with or without the motor.
if its a good clean boat, inside and out, the upholstery being good and without a lot of unnecessary holes drilled in the fiberglass, you could probably sell it for a decent price, or use it for trade for something else you want...

Nov 7, 2012
1978 Catalina 30 Wilbur-by-the-Sea
I second throwing a 9.9 or 15 on the transom. And since its on blocks delete the prop an put a plug in the hole. Clean the fuel tank and run a line for the OB and your golden.

My boat is an OB and I have no complaints. Much more storage aboard and a hair faster to boot.

May 27, 2012
Oday 222 Beaver Lake, Arkansas
You didnt say, but if you left the engine at a shop 10 years ago, after a while you didnt own it anymore and its probably gone.

And at current prices, you could buy a 27 that runs for that kind of money.

Im sorry I didnt keep the guys number, but there is a guy in wisconsin that deals in good used diesels and has a good reputation on this site. Perhaps another kind soul will come forth with how to reach him. And then, for perhaps no more than the cost and work involved in an outboard, or maybe a bit more, you will have the right motor back in the boat.

From what ive read a 27 has kin of reached the limits of an outboard anyway. The other option is to just start over with a newer boat that already runs and works. What kind of condition is the rest of the boat, rigging, sails, etc.. You should probably honestly assess its value before considering putting more money into it.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Its a hard spot for you.

Without a functional motor, the boat is economically speaking worth nothing. Its 32 years old. Spending that much on a re-power will bring the value up to what you paid for the motor. If you are fixed on having a diesel in the C27, I would sell it (boat + motor in a box) as-is for whatever you can get for it, and buy another boat.

Ajay73

Jun 11, 2011
Catalina 1980 C27 Meinke Marina on Lake Erie
You could look for a rebuilt diesel. That may be cheaper but may be hard to find and your not sure what you're getting. If your thinking of donating the boat you get zero for it (other than a tax deduction?) and have lost all the money you paid for it. Putting the new engine(at $7800) in would at least make the value of the boat about what the engine cost I would think and it may even bring a premium if you sell since it now has the new engine. That would appeal to a lot of buyers. And if as you say it is well equipped I would think it would bring another thousand or so. If you try to sell the boat without an engine I'm thinking you may get $1K to $2K max for it assuming you find a buyer would want to fool around with the repower process. No engine really limits your potential buyers and you still now have lost most of your inital cost. You also say you wanted to get it back in the water. I assume that means you want to start sailing again? If that's the case and you like the boat you really don't have a choice on repowering it. Even if you donate it and go buy another boat(because you want to sail again) your out the initial cost. Outboard is probably the lowest cost option. My view on outboards for a 27 foot boat is that they are kind of a pain. Inboard is so much better/easier. Anyway you look at it you've lost most of the value. Maybe donation is the best way to go. Boats are not investments that's for sure.

Aug 27, 2011
Catalina 27 Titusville, FL
You are getting hosed. There is NO WAY it should be that expensive to rebuild that engine. We had a 600 HP 12 cylinder Caterpillar rebuilt for HALF that price.

Get your engine parts back, tell them to go pound sand, and go find a serviceable used M18 or M3-20, or send the parts to me, and I'll find out what is really the issue with the engine.

I may be able to help, PM me if interested.

Ajay73

Jun 11, 2011
Catalina 1980 C27 Meinke Marina on Lake Erie
I agree with King Air Driver. I thought that sounded like a lot for what may be some disassembly and a few replacement parts.

May 27, 2012
If you cant find a good used motor for under $3K, I would walk away from that boat and find another. That is providing the rest of the boat is "nice" and has good sails. If not, forget it. I guess you should also check for the "smile" too, if its out of the water. From what ive read, and considering the engine is toast, that would kill it.

May 27, 2012
You are getting hosed. There is NO WAY it should be that expensive to rebuild that engine. We had a 600 HP 12 cylinder Caterpillar rebuilt for HALF that price.
True, but they may be charging high labor rates plus R&R of the engine, etc.. The OP wasn't real specific, perhaps he will come back to update the thread.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
You could look for a rebuilt diesel. That may be cheaper but may be hard to find and your not sure what you're getting. If your thinking of donating the boat you get zero for it (other than a tax deduction?) and have lost all the money you paid for it. Putting the new engine(at $7800) in would at least make the value of the boat about what the engine cost I would think and it may even bring a premium if you sell since it now has the new engine. That would appeal to a lot of buyers. And if as you say it is well equipped I would think it would bring another thousand or so. If you try to sell the boat without an engine I'm thinking you may get $1K to $2K max for it assuming you find a buyer would want to fool around with the repower process. No engine really limits your potential buyers and you still now have lost most of your inital cost. You also say you wanted to get it back in the water. I assume that means you want to start sailing again? If that's the case and you like the boat you really don't have a choice on repowering it. Even if you donate it and go buy another boat(because you want to sail again) your out the initial cost. Outboard is probably the lowest cost option. My view on outboards for a 27 foot boat is that they are kind of a pain. Inboard is so much better/easier. Anyway you look at it you've lost most of the value. Maybe donation is the best way to go. Boats are not investments that's for sure.
in addition to these thoughts that Ajay73 offered,... if you want to sail again, and the boat you have is clean and already set up with the equipment and fittings like you want them, it may not be cheaper to dump that boat and go buy another.....
by the time you make a purchase on a decent boat and then spend the additional money for equipment and fittings to get it setup to your standards, you could have thousands more into it... plus the time it takes to do it.

its really all a matter of what your goal is and what you want to end up with, and and how much time, money or effort your willing to put into either fixing what you have, or selling it and searching for another.... its all a trade off.

May 27, 2012
I think were all saying the same thing. Condition is paramount. If its a really nice boat, weigh its value with a good engine against the cost of buying/rebuilding an engine. If its not a good boat, needs sails, etc., etc., then your simply going to be upside down. Its your money, spend it as you wish. For me and others, we see no gain in being more upside down than necessary. Better is to be in the black, if its at all possible. Think about it. Dealers buy low and sell high, always looking for profit. We can do the same as long as we leave emotion out of the transaction. The minute you reach a point where you have to have "THAT" boat, your probably going to get screwed.

Jan 22, 2008
Fed up w/ personal attacks I'm done with SBO
Universal 5411 remanufactured from the bottom up, $2800 plus your core.

This shows what a rip-off artist you were dealing with before and may change your strategy with this boat.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2013
Catalina 27 Jamestown
Thanks

Thank you to all replies.

You helped me come to a decision.

I've discovered that the cylinder head has been damaged. I don't want to spend that amount of money to repair it because the boat is 32 years old.

I'm now pursuing the option of finding a used Universal engine that will configure nicely.

Maybe something is available as a result of Hurricane Sandy.

Apr 5, 2010
Catalina 27- 1984 Grapevine
The Universal engine is now manufactured by Kubota. The same engine that is installed on small garden tractors, same hp, fits, parts are interchangable, etc. You only need add the raw water pump and heat exchanger. Cost for a new engine would be around $2300, used from a shop, around $1600. Ask Stu for the specific engine model, I have it written down somewhere but can't find it.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Some small forklifts have the same engine. If you do a bit of investigation, it could save you a whole pile of cash. There's always equipment auctions going on, and a lot of them have lists that are published well before the event. Don't limit your search to marine.

Status
Not open for further replies.