What to do about missing Venture 21 cabin doors?

NP_Oak

Nov 28, 2016
MacGregor Venture 21 San Francisco
Hi,

A friend and I are fixing up a MacGregor Venture 21 built around 1975 and our main challenge is that it is missing its horizontal and vertical cabin doors. I found a website or two that sells MacGregor parts but they don't seem to have cabin doors.

Should we get something custom made? Is there such a thing as a junk yard for sailboats where we might find the parts?

There are two rails that the top part of the door slid on but they are not completely parallel. The distance between them is slightly less at the end near the mast. I have enclosed photos.

I am a novice sailor and I would love to hear anyone's advice about the easiest way to get this sorted out.
MacGregor door.jpg
MacGregor door close.jpg

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
One possibility for the top is just make it hinged, at the bow end. so it simply lifts up and flips over. This arrangement worked pretty well on the 23 foot Clipper marine that was my previous boat. Basically you are going to build a box that is shaped to fit somewhat snugly over the opening with "lips" coming down over the raised border that is around the edge of the companionway so rain and spray don't come in. If you do go this route then it is a good idea idea to provide some way of holding it partially open. Also, when it was opened and flipped over I used to tie it down so a gust of wind could not pick it up and flip it back - potentially into someones face. Plywood, glue, screws, paint, a jigsaw and some hinges and you are good to go. A cardboard mock up is a good idea - will it hinge up and over without hitting the boom for example?

As far as the hatch boards, more plywood. One big one (easy) or up to 3 that just slides in. If you go with multiple boards one can be transparent plastic to bring in more light. You cut where they join at an angle so rain etc stays out. Tap Plastics is your friend.

Good luck - 30 + years ago when I had much less money and much more time I spent a year rebuilding the Clipper Marine and used it for 15 years.

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
horizontal: the cabin top hatch. you might be best off ordering this part since a curved coach roof may make this a hard part to build. as to the vertical companionway doors, find a high school wood shop teacher or creative wood shop owner.. get the exact dimensions of the companionway doors from a reliable source. pay the the shop teacher to make you a 2 part hatch system out of real wood with removable plexiglas windows and screen panels . (a one part companionway door is a PITA to handle and harder to stow.) with 2 part 'drop board' companionway doors you can run with 1 door in place in a seaway and keep water out of down below while leaving the top hatch door out for air. you can through bolt the plexiglas or screen pieces in place on the doors , such pieces will be removable by using wing nuts or cap nuts requiring a wrench. (don't use oak for exterior boat parts- it turns black if it is unprotected by varnish and gets wet. )

NP_Oak

Nov 28, 2016
MacGregor Venture 21 San Francisco
This is all excellent advice, and JohnCTV21's photos are also really helpful. It looks like on our boat there are already grooves that we could use to slide the vertical drop boards into (The boat is still pretty new to me so I'm unfamiliar with many of its details).

For the cabin top hatch, if we make something with a hinge, is it okay to drill int the fiberglass in order to attach the hinges with screws? That won't damage the boat or eventually lead to water seeping in? We already have a piece of mahogany that is a little larger than the size of top hatch. It is quite heavy, which might make it ideal in terms of being less likely to blow around.

Thanks!

May 25, 2015
Macgregor, Hunter Venture 21, H25 Candlewood
It looks like "T" track on the cabin roof, of you could find something to fit it, you could make a sliding hatch. I suspect that is why they are there. Then you have nothing to lift or get blown over.

To make companion way boards, get some cardboard, make a pattern and your good to go, just make sure the material fits the slot.

Jun 25, 2016
Venture 21 Minter Bay
Those grab handles on each side of the companionway (vertical) appear to be part of customized drop board arrangement, likely bolted in place where the stock ones were. They appear to wrap into the companionway and make it slightly more narrow. You'd also want to be sure the slots they provide effectively drain outside the cabin. How do you like the handles? You may want to revert to the original style shown in JohnCTV21's photos.

Also not real apparent in JohnCTV21's images are the boards matching those for the drop board that sit on the cabin top to retain the port & starboard edges of the sliding hatch cover (outside the lip where you currently have sail track mounted). You may see the old mounting holes from inside the cabin...if were filled at all! Here is are a couple poor shots of my abused boat where one strip is seen (very weathered gray next to sliding hatch) and the dropboard tracks are visible.
https://goo.gl/photos/fQbdffUsX9PBgjgWA
https://goo.gl/photos/X5Y6GiGgCsxABP2i6

Ruddercraft makes and sells High Density Polyethelene replacement parts for the original wooden strips:
https://ruddercraft.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=164_81&product_id=347

You asked about boat parts. I just saw a post on a Facebook post pointing folks to this NW WA site. They don't appear to have any MacGregors or Ventures, but may know of other sites across the country...
http://sailboatwreckingyard.com

And here is an article referencing a CA store selling used gear...not sure about boat parts like hatch covers, etc.
http://www.practical-sailor.com/issues/37_2/features/Purchasing-Used-Sailing-Gear_10126-1.html

It's amazing what you can find on the web. These forums had a post from a guy in CT parting out his boat...had a keel that I asked him about, so might have hatch parts. Use the search tool and look for Venture 21.

Hope Spring finds you sailing dry! Let this thread know how it works out!

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2011
Mariner Yacht Co.(NH) Mariner 28 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
By adjusting the hatch tracks, you could use a flat piece of ply wood or starboard. The final answer will be how much you are willing to spend on aesthetics. Use cardboard to make patterns. The "wash boards" will be easiest to make, and easiest to find ready made. The Hatch board is a bit more challenging. Consider canvas covers. They would be easy to make, easy to attach and easy to store. Not "winter friendly", but if you are a fair weather sailor like me they would be fine. Fix it and Sail is a great reference. Fred Bingham's Boat Joinery and Cabinet Making Simplified, has detailed plans for hatches.
Good Luck.
Lou

Jul 9, 2017
Macgregor Venture Seattle
Contact tap plastic get 3/8 abs and cut to fit for $57.00 mount a handle of choice and latch..very simple fix and will last for years.